Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Universal Studios building a third Transformers Ride

Looks like June 20th will be the opening date, as the building promotion has been completed with signage now.

The Universal website has been updated with Transformers promos too, with Optimus "crashing through the webpage".

Megatron Guest

The ride is now open.

It's called a soft opening, because it was ready to open before the official launch, which is planned for June 20th.

One of the TFW people has gone and taken a heap of photos of the new ride and the gift-shop.

There looks to be a fair few merchandise items that are new to this third location, but the exclusive toys remain the same.
    A number of items has already caught my eye, including these two plush toys - Optimus & Bumblebee.
    (the kiddie t-shirt above each lot of plush toys looks wrong - I can see that they were trying to make it look like the kid is the robot, but it just looks like a decapitated robot on the t-shirt)

The ride's official grand opening is still June 20th, but until then it is open for regular business.
    I should be there on the 23rd June... I wonder if that would make me the first person not involved in the construction of the rides, to have done all three TFs rides.

I would email the park beforehand telling them about the previous rides and how keen you are to go on this one. I am sure they will get a kick hearing about this mad ozzie guy who has travelled to each location to go on the Transformers ride. That sort of serious dedication can get you more contacts, etc.. and so it should!

Once you have rode with Evac again, I'd email the company (with pics at each ride) that builds/creates them and thank them for how good they turn out. They'd also want to hear of fans enjoyment and again they'd get a kick out of it.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

I had emailed them a few weeks ago (before it opened) to see if it would be opening on time, as I'd be there just a couple days after (I was worried that if there were any delays, it would be a waste going)... and I mentioned that I had already been on the first two.
    They only replied about the opening date... so it isn't anything they saw as being interesting.
    The Singapore park wasn't interested either when I was there.

I'm not too fussed, as it's not important. At least in my mind, unless I see something posted somewhere before the 23rd by someone else saying they've been on all three, I'd be thinking I was the first in the world to do it.... and really, it's like a "so what?" type of achievement. The ride itself is the same, it is just the building and merchandise that are different. For me though, it gives me an excuse to get off my butt and go to a Themepark I probably wouldn't have otherwise done.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I had emailed them a few weeks ago (before it opened) to see if it would be opening on time, as I'd be there just a couple days after (I was worried that if there were any delays, it would be a waste going)... and I mentioned that I had already been on the first two.
    They only replied about the opening date... so it isn't anything they saw as being interesting.
    The Singapore park wasn't interested either when I was there.

I'm not too fussed, as it's not important. At least in my mind, unless I see something posted somewhere before the 23rd by someone else saying they've been on all three, I'd be thinking I was the first in the world to do it.... and really, it's like a "so what?" type of achievement. The ride itself is the same, it is just the building and merchandise that are different. For me though, it gives me an excuse to get off my butt and go to a Themepark I probably wouldn't have otherwise done.
    Yeah but it is the type of thing that someone who reads these emails will someday say.. "Wow, what an effort! I am glad you like our stuff so much!" I figure someday that sort of dedication will make the person on the other end happy for the day (good news gets emailed around in my team). As I said above, maybe the creators would enjoy an email from you.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

The official opening is today, and some photos have already been posted up of the set-up before the fanfare begins.

Missed it by just 3 days...

Megatron Guest

Peter Cullen and Frank Welker Talk Transformers: The Ride - 3D and Transformers 4 (IGN, 22/06/2013):

The two voice actors and old friends attended the big grand opening of Transformers: The Ride – 3D this week at Universal Studios Florida. There, they spoke about Transformers 4, in which Cullen will again voice Prime, and the ride itself – in which they again get to do battle as Prime and Megatron.

Question: Peter, what do you think of Optimus’ new look in Transformers 4?

Peter Cullen: I’m always fascinated by the design changes because what could be more realistic in something that transforms than change itself? Cars change every year. They come off the designing tables, the clay models, and before you know it , you’ve got a brand new look to a car. I like it that way. I’m excited to find out what Mr. Bay is going to do for the next look, you know? Because after all, he’s always going to look like that. [Points to the Optimus statue on top of the ride]. He’s always going to transform into something that’s pretty close to that!

Question: Frank, will you play a role in Transformers 4?

Frank Welker: Yet to be determined. I’m not sure. I did the last two [Editor's note: While Welker doesn't voice Megatron in the films, he has voiced Soundwave, Ravage and Devastator, among other characters], but waiting to see. I usually won’t know until the very end, but I’m really looking forward to see what Michael [Bay] does. As you know, he always outdoes himself. He’s got big shoes to fill -- his own shoes -- so it’ll be a lot of fun to see what he comes up with. And of course, Peter’s always fantastic. And we have this ride to work on together and it’s a blast. I really enjoyed doing that.

Question: Having seen it as animated series and movies, what’s it like to now see Transformers come to life as a ride and that it's now something you can open to great success, really, across the world?

Welker: Well, you know, it’s like now we’re part of the culture.

Cullen: Yeah, it’s bigger than life now!

Welker: I go to Universal all the time. When people come out from Colorado to visit, I take them to Universal. And now I take them to hear Peter! …and me! You know, it’s really just so nice to be part of pop culture. And to see and hear your voice in those amplified settings, in the ride, is just terrific. It’s awesome.

Cullen: Yeah, it really is. Being a part of it, I think that’s what is the phenomenon now, when we go back so many years in our involvement. It’s transcended all these generations from child to father and child and now the theme parks from Singapore to Los Angeles and now Orlando. The phenomenon of Transformers itself is mind-shaking, you know? Frank was saying too that being a part of it is not only historical, it’s part of your life that says, ‘Gee, I’m glad I did something in my life that stood out.’ I’m really grateful for that and humbled by it. It’s a treasure.

Welker: The fans have been so fantastic too and it’s like Peter was saying, now you have parents that grew up with us that are now taking their kids. So it’s a ride that both can enjoy and have the same experiences over again and share the new experiences. That’s kind of neat.

Click article link above for some pics.

Steven Spielberg touts 'Transformers' ride at Universal Orlando (UPI.com, 24/06/2013):

Oscar-winning Hollywood director Steven Spielberg says he can't predict which movies will inspire great amusement park rides.

Spielberg's film classics "Jaws" and "E.T." have both been successfully adapted as rides at Florida's Universal Orlando theme park.

The director-producer recently appeared on the "Today" show to promote "Transformers: The Ride-3D," which is also located at Universal.

Spielberg was a creative consultant on the ride, which was based on a movie franchise he helped produce.

"The ride is designed with the audience in mind," the Orlando Sentinel quoted Spielberg as saying on "Today." "It's all about you. You replace all the stars in the 'Transformers' movies."

Despite his success as a filmmaker, Spielberg confessed he doesn't know which movies will make good rides.

"Somebody on the executive level has to take the financial plunge," he said. "'Transformers' was a big success before Universal determined this would be an enduring franchise and therefore worth taking a shot at putting it here in the theme park."