Thread: Deluxe Insecticons; the group, not the price point

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default Deluxe Insecticons; the group, not the price point

With Hasbro steadily working through the list of original 1980s toys and giving us some very nice modern versions of them, there's still one rather large omission - the Deluxe Insecticons. A rather glaring omission because of how early in the line they were, too (1985). In fact, just looking right now, they are almost the only toys from 1984 to 1986 not to have seen a modern re-make (Steeljaw shares that dubious distinction with them).

When will we get new ones? I'm not asking the question of if we will get them, because it seems clear to me that there are no special reasons for not making new Deluxe Insecticons. Sure, the original toys can't be re-issued, just like the other Takatoku toys (Jetfire, Roadbuster, Whirl) can't be re-issued, but there's no reason at all that Hasbro can't do exactly what they've done for those three and produce new versions of the characters (and in fact they have made new versions of Chop Shop in the last decade - poor ones, to be sure, but still new toys).

So, when? We've seen a lot of leaks for toys from the next couple of years, including all three of the standard Insecticons, but I don't think I've seen even a hint of these four. Which seems odd to me, because now would be a really good opportunity for them. As mentioned, Hasbro is steadily working through the list of toys from the 80s at the moment, and then there's all the Beast Wars stuff being produced now - more Insecticons would fit right into a toyline where people are accustomed to seeing animal alt-modes (even skeletal animal alt-modes...).

As for why Hasbro might not make them, there don't seem to be terribly many compelling arguments any more. Licencing can't be an issue (they own the characters, and see the Chop Shops mentioned above). Obscurity no longer seems relevant; much more obscure characters are getting toys these days - just look at Nightbird, who wasn't even a transformer to begin with, or Scrounge, a throw-away comic-only non-toy character, or even the mail-away Powerdashers, so obscure that most people never knew until the new toys that there were three variants. Even the need for entirely new designs doesn't really stick these days - look at all the new moulds for things like Slammer that would previously have been (and was until recently feared to be) a re-deco of something close enough.

Sooooo... When, Hasbro?

I think there's a decent chance we get the Deluxe Insecticons as remoulds of the new Deluxe class Insecticons in a Gen Select release.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I think there's a decent chance we get the Deluxe Insecticons as remoulds of the new Deluxe class Insecticons in a Gen Select release.
    Yeah, nothing for the 2022 leaks indicates that the Deluxe Insecticons will get a showing otherwise.
    2023 perhaps? Just have to wait and see

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

So I've just learnt of a supposed new Buzzworthy 4-pack for next year, containing a Ransack.

Could it be a re-tool of next year's Kickback? Or will it be Cybertron Ransack, re-tooled from next year's Arcee?

Why not both. Packed with two Barrages - one the Insecticon, the other the Micromaster?!

Would be good for our all four to get new toys. They are pretty obscure. I wonder if the originals had been given yellow and black decos they would have come back sooner — just for looking more like the iconic Insecticons.

Might be worth noting the deluxe Insecticons weren’t sold here in the 80s - but Hasbro wouldn’t be taken any account of that.

It wouldn't be too hard

You could get a workable Chop Shop from Shrapnel, and a workable Barrage and Venom from Bombshell

Oddly enough, the one that I think would be the hardest to do well is Kickback to Ransack, just because of the way the wings pivoted differently and the different chest shape, but would love to see them try.