View Poll Results: How did you first watch TFTM?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cinema

12 34.29%
  • Video cassette tape

14 40.00%
  • Laser disc

0 0%
  • DVD or Blu-Ray

2 5.71%
  • Other (please specify)

7 20.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How did you first watch The Transformers The Movie?

FatalityPitt Guest

Saw it when I was about 6 or 7 on a VHS tape bought from Ampang Park Shopping Centre.

I remember watching the final 5 minutes in tv when i was about 8. A few weeks later I found it at the video store and borrowed it.
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    How did you watch The Transformers: The Movie (1986) for the first time?
    Light from the projected movie images passed through my cornea, the outermost part of my eyeball, where it began to be focused. Then it entered my pupil, a small opening that leads to my lens. Once the light from the movie made it past the pupil, it hits the lens, a surface where it was further focused through a process called accommodation. Finally, the light hit my retina, a layer of tissue that lines the inner part of my eye. The retina began the process of turning the light into an image.

I thought it was quite good.

I'm surprised that there was such a high percentage who saw it in theatres... 30 years ago.
    Makes you feel old to realise it's been over 30 years since you first got into this hobby.

Laserdisc is an option, but not TV???

Did anyone here even own laserdiscs back then (to use, not as souvenirs)?

Hands up those who have the Transformers Movie on laserdisc, but have never used it, or ever will?

(not that I'm making fun of it, as I almost bought the recent Vinyl edition of the Movie Soundtrack, as a souvenir, because I would probably never be able to use it)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Laserdisc is an option, but not TV???

Did anyone here even own laserdiscs back then (to use, not as souvenirs)?
    The TV option slipped my mind. People will just to vote "Other" and specify it.
    We didn't get LD until the 90s, and we never had TFTM although a friend of mine did.

Hoyts cinemas at Chadstone sometime in the summer holidays. I was eight years old. Bought issues #78 and #83 of the UK comic from the newsagents there on the same day. Pretty solid outing!

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I'm surprised that there was such a high percentage who saw it in theatres... 30 years ago.
    Makes you feel old to realise it's been over 30 years since you first got into this hobby.
    TFTM doesn't do that for me, I feel older when I remember that there are 18 year olds out there who were just 8 year old kids when the first Bay film came out...

I first watched it on VHS at my cousins place back in '87 (probably easter holidays). They had already started watching it by the time I got there, so I got to watch the last 3rd first, then we rewound & watched it again.

Megatran Guest

Where's the option: Not even interested.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Saw the trailer before Gods Must Be Crazy in the cinema. Note only trip to the movies for another 5 years. Movies happen to people with money in cities. Fast food too for that matter.

Saw the movie a few years later on holiday at Caloundra. Morning TV, I believe the local version of 7. 15" CRT TV with rabbit ears. It still made me cry.

I never saw the trailer in cinemas but I did see ads on TV. I only went to the movies 3 times in the 1980s:
    * 1985 = Enemy Mine
    * 1986 = The Transformers: The Movie
    * 1987= The Living Daylights
    Otherwise the only movies I ever watched were either on VHS or TV.