Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to tel if MP is KO?

Default How to tell if MP is KO?

I saw some MPs (Lambor, Bumblebee, Streak, Prowl) going for cheap at a shop in In's Point, Yau Ma Tei (Hong Kong).

Prices were 240hkd (approx. 40aud) each.

It was by far cheaper than any other price seen so far for me. Seems too good to be true and the shop keeper said she is selling them on behalf of someone renting part of the shop space.

So question is what are the signs to tell if they are KOs (assuming I can open to check before buying)?

The boxes were still sealed and shrink wrapped. I can see the TakaraTomy label but that means nothing.

Any pointers much appreciated. Thanks!

Just judging by the prices alone, u were most likely looking at KO's as most KO MPs are priced around the $40 aud mark on eBay.
    On youtube, rocketpuncharmy has a few comparisons of KO MPs vs real with box comparisons too. Fake KOs normally have a more dull looking box and some box art might be wrong, but as time has progressed the KO companies have improved their box too...
    I'm heading to hong kong in 2 weeks it'll be interesting to check out wat they have there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I saw some MPs (Lambor, Bumblebee, Streak, Prowl) going for cheap at a shop in In's Point, Yau Ma Tei (Hong Kong).

Prices were 240hkd (approx. 40aud) each.

It was by far cheaper than any other price seen so far for me. Seems too good to be true and the shop keeper said she is selling them on behalf of someone renting part of the shop space.

So question is what are the signs to tell if they are KOs (assuming I can open to check before buying)?

The boxes were still sealed and shrink wrapped. I can see the TakaraTomy label but that means nothing.

Any pointers much appreciated. Thanks!

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Fake KO like sideswipe had a glossy box finished which the original was matt.
    They corrected this in their Nissan KO line.

To be real honest, I wouldn't buy any of the car MP TF in hong kong. Is just not worth wondering during my vacation.

I be aiming for
    1, Soundwave
    2 Rodimus in Takara box
    3 Optimus Takara/hasbro <the fake Takara is without trailer
    4. SkyWarp if you are keen
    5. Any of the MP11 seekers
    6. Bumblebee as I know KO hasnt been made
    7.Ultramagnus
    8.Wheeljack

The ones I avoid in Hong Kong
    Grimlock
    The cassetts
    All the old car line that have KO

Have a good trip, dont have one that you be worrying about.

There's an Australian based e-store which has MP Lambor and G2 Lambor in stock. They're a bit pricey, but at least you know you're not getting fakes. I've seen their stock IRL at SupaNova and it looked legit (I think some members here purchased from them at the con - I bought my Alternators Mirage and Generations Whirl from them).
    http://www.toynkdownunder.com.au/htt...pe/TAK-45997-C
    http://www.toynkdownunder.com.au/htt...er/TAK-49828-C

I wonder will they ko Wheeljack and bumblebee. I would have thought they will as they are small figures compared to Magnus.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    I wonder will they ko Wheeljack and bumblebee. I would have thought they will as they are small figures compared to Magnus.
    They will. They already did Lambor and the Datsuns.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

I saw a MP Red Alert knock off some time ago. It was a pretty faithful reproduction including plastic quality and paint job. If I had not been directly comparing it with a real one, I would have never noted the differences and thought it to be legit.

As someone who lives in HK I would say you were looking at Knockoffs.

None of the real MP's you mentioned have been retailing for prices that low...
    MP-21 is always $350+, Streak and Prowl are low $400's..., Lambor varies from mid $300's up...

Did they have the ST markings and holograms on them?

I only deal in real but might head over to take a nosey next week as I'm curious to see so I can be wary...

Always nice to be able to compare the real to the fake. I have a real and fake MP-10 that causes (non-collecting) peoples minds to blow when I put them side by side. 80% think the fake is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    As someone who lives in HK I would say you were looking at Knockoffs.

None of the real MP's you mentioned have been retailing for prices that low...
    MP-21 is always $350+, Streak and Prowl are low $400's..., Lambor varies from mid $300's up...

Did they have the ST markings and holograms on them?

I only deal in real but might head over to take a nosey next week as I'm curious to see so I can be wary...

Always nice to be able to compare the real to the fake. I have a real and fake MP-10 that causes (non-collecting) peoples minds to blow when I put them side by side. 80% think the fake is the real deal.
    The mp-10 coulld be identified by the paint apps and the waist yellow center screw. The hands was sadly the KOs downfall, they should have used the KFC hands.

I was quite impressed with the mp-10 KO version 2 until the hands were still let down. Mind you there are a lot of people who dont even know these are KO. It also shows the Takara version was by far from being perfect.