Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotlinking prohibited - How do you insert/attach images here?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Sometimes I think I am doing the equivalent of banging my computer with a rock and grunting at it. And yet when I first started using the internet over a decade ago it took me all of 5 minutes to figure out how to make the pictures of the ladies with no clothes on come up
    I relate to this.

Since people are still using attachments for non-news sections of the board (some even after they were asked not to), I'm looking at either...
    - shutting down the feature until something more effective can be set up
    - or, to downgrade people mis-using it, to a ranking that doesn't have access
    - or, to limit it to a higher ranking and remind people of the Userguide (section 11) and the earlier request to limit attachments to new and important info topics only.
    - or, purge the attachments folder after a month or year (or some set period)

Thoughts or preferences?

Personally I think shutting it down altogether. There are numerous sites we can upload photos to.

Now I know why I wasn't able to load some photos a few months back. I was only a rank 4 then.
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Personally I think shutting it down altogether. There are numerous sites we can upload photos to.
    My thoughts too, We can always help people wanting to attach photos when they ask how to by pointing them in the right direction. But to make sure that there be no slip ups just shut down that option altogether. One less thing for you to monitor and keep an eye out, one less workload.

There's always the option of using Photobucket etc, which lower to higher members can freely use to do the attachment anyways.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Megatron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Since people are still using attachments for non-news sections of the board (some even after they were asked not to), I'm looking at either...
    - shutting down the feature until something more effective can be set up
    - or, to downgrade people mis-using it, to a ranking that doesn't have access
    - or, to limit it to a higher ranking and remind people of the Userguide (section 11) and the earlier request to limit attachments to new and important info topics only.
    - or, purge the attachments folder after a month or year (or some set period)

Thoughts or preferences?
    Can you just disable attachments for all the categories/sub forums you don't want them to be used, and only leave it enabled for the News section (or whatever section/s you want)? I'm pretty sure some board controls can do this, from the Admin Panel. This way, you could leave the ranking permissions as they are, which I think are quite fine.

Alternatively if this can't be done, I would shut it down until a better set up can be established. If you limit it to only members with a higher ranking, lesser ranked members who would have respected that feature will have to post news/important topics without attachments and will have to then rely on higher ranked members or a mod to do it for them. So there's both advantages and disadvantages in doing it that way.

I'd say shut it down and then it gets people like me who don't really know how to use a computer an incentive to actually go and learn(then my wife can drag me to 1 of those tafe course thingy's she goes to for computer stuff).i've been shown a couple of times and coached on how to do use the image hosting sites but as i don't post pic's anywhere else other then on ozformers i kinda forget after a few days on what i'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by iamirondude View Post
    I'd say shut it down and then it gets people like me who don't really know how to use a computer an incentive to actually go and learn(then my wife can drag me to 1 of those tafe course thingy's she goes to for computer stuff).i've been shown a couple of times and coached on how to do use the image hosting sites but as i don't post pic's anywhere else other then on ozformers i kinda forget after a few days on what i'm doing.
    +1. it's the kick in the butt I probably need to learn this photo bucket thing

I too would say to just completely disable it; for the reasons everyone has mentioned previously + if it is unavailable to everyone & across the board, then there's no avenue or reason for complaint from any member.

To be honest, once I discovered Photobucket, I've always used it as a preference, I find it easier, especially since I load most photos from my phone anyway, straight to photobucket, and when I go to use them on the forume, they are there ready to link in.

as mentioned above, we're always happy to help a new member with options of how to insert photos/images. maybe we could write up an instruction set for new members and include it in the forum rules and recommendations section so it's easy to access, or sticky it to the top of a section.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)