Canon Optimus
    Wishlist:
    MP Jazz, MP Ricochet, MP Waspinator
    Selling:
    Lots, just need to sort it out.
    Looking For:
    Seige Cyberton upgrade Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    5FDP: so is that an original Sludge with a reissue box or a reissue Sludge with a reissue box? IIRC the reissue Dinobots have no copyright stampage (it's just a blank square instead)
    It's an original Sludge with a Classic box (I use the term 'Classic' as I don't consider it to be a reissue considering it's an all new design sans character art when compared to the original G1 box).
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    It's an original Sludge with a Classic box (I use the term 'Classic' as I don't consider it to be a reissue considering it's an all new design sans character art when compared to the original G1 box).
    If you don't want to consider them reissues in the 5FDPverse, that's up to you, but technically they are reissues and considered so by the wider fan community. (reference)

So, just out of curiosity, does this mean that you also don't consider Collector's Edition (not the exclusive repaint/new characters, I mean toys like Thundercracker, Skywarp, Ironhide etc.) Transformers Collection, Commemorative Series, Hasbro's Classics and Universe style G1s, 2010 Predaking, new Sixshot etc. as not being reissues then? I don't mean to challenge you, I'm just curious to know how you'd categorise these toys under your standards - do you consider all these toys to be G1s with variant packaging (and in some cases, toy variations - like blue eyes on TFC Sideswipe, Inferno and Grapple, or cartoon colours on TFC Starscream etc.) as opposed to being reissues?

If you don't want to consider them reissues in the 5FDPverse, that's up to you, but technically they are reissues and considered so by the wider fan community. (reference)

So, just out of curiosity, does this mean that you also don't consider Collector's Edition (not the exclusive repaint/new characters, I mean toys like Thundercracker, Skywarp, Ironhide etc.) Transformers Collection, Commemorative Series, Hasbro's Classics and Universe style G1s, 2010 Predaking, new Sixshot etc. as not being reissues then? I don't mean to challenge you, I'm just curious to know how you'd categorise these toys under your standards - do you consider all these toys to be G1s with variant packaging (and in some cases, toy variations - like blue eyes on TFC Sideswipe, Inferno and Grapple, or cartoon colours on TFC Starscream etc.) as opposed to being reissues?
    Read what I wrote again I was referring to the box only as 'Classic', not the toy, as your initial question implied that it was 'a reissue box'.

In regards to the toy, if it was a 'Classic Sludge' and not a G1 1985 Sludge, then yes, it would be a reissue as there are only minor differences when compared to the original including the blanked-out copyright information that you mentioned.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 4th December 2012 at 12:17 PM.
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

I have a few of the gold classics and have never considered them reissues, I can see where Goks coming from but still agree with you 5FDP. Were the gold classics ever called reissues or were they rereleased for markets that missed them?

Quote Originally Posted by 1orion2many View Post
    I have a few of the gold classics and have never considered them reissues, I can see where Goks coming from but still agree with you 5FDP. Were the gold classics ever called reissues or were they rereleased for markets that missed them?
    Go to about a third of the way down the page...

“If I remember it was simply that these items had sold so well and therefore to release them as ‘Classics’ some years later made a lot of sense because the cost was repackaging only. Tooling new products costs a huge amount, add the development cost, man hours, photography etc. The other thing that must be considered is the rest of the Hasbro folio of product and the new lines that need development! So I’m pretty sure its it was an amalgam of things.”
    ex-director of Hasbro Europe Boy’s Toys division
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

I think I have that gold Boxed Optimus

I think I have that gold Boxed Optimus
    Now THAT'S impressive Pics?
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

Read what I wrote again I was referring to the box only as 'Classic', not the toy, as your initial question implied that it was 'a reissue box'.

In regards to the toy, if it was a 'Classic Sludge' and not a G1 1985 Sludge, then yes, it would be a reissue as there are only minor differences when compared to the original including the blanked-out copyright information that you mentioned.
    Oh right, I get you. <opens.mouth.and.changes.feet>

Reissues aren't really ever called "reissues" by anyone, but that's just what they are. They're not just repackaging left over stock - they did that with that mail-away catalogue; I got Wheeljack, Ratchet and Thundercracker that way, they came in sealed baggies instead of their original boxes, but were otherwise the same toys (and not actual reissues per se). The Classic TFs on the other hand were reproductions of the originals, and there were minor mould differences such as in the copyright stampage which were either blank, or had different years stamped on them (e.g. 1990) - my G1 Prowl, Sideswipe and Tracks are Classic reissues -- Prowl has a blank square, Sideswipe has 1990 stamped and I don't remember what Tracks has (). Oh, and I have Classic Rollbar, Goldbug (which I've since customised), Dead End and Wildrider. Guys like the Throttlebots were really easy because their rub signs and rub sign indents were removed and replaced with regular logo stickers (and for some reason, Rollbar's window stickers are different from the original's too).

They were re-issued for Hasbro's European and Australasian markets as the G1 line was obviously slowing down, and as the article 5FDP linked to points out, it's just cheaper and easier than developing new product. It allowed me to pick up several toys that I missed out on the first time around, so I loved it. It was also a good time because I was only in primary school in the 1980s, so it was harder for me to get all the toys I wanted, but by 1990/91 I was old enough to have pocket money, so I was able to save and use my own allowance money to pick up reissues of toys that I missed out on as a younger child. At the time I had no idea what a reissue was -- I just thought these were the same toys as the originals in new packaging. And of course, reissues since 2000 until now have been great for us "Children of the 80s" as we've been able to use our adult disposable income to get them. Although last night I sat down and did the math for how much money I need to save up between now and March 30 for various Japanese toys... made my head spin!

It allowed me to pick up several toys that I missed out on the first time around, so I loved it. It was also a good time because I was only in primary school in the 1980s, so it was harder for me to get all the toys I wanted, but by 1990/91 I was old enough to have pocket money, so I was able to save and use my own allowance money to pick up reissues of toys that I missed out on as a younger child.
    I hear ya! Back in 1991 when I was in year 10, we went on a school excursion to the city and I broke away from the main group during lunch to go Transformer shopping. I managed to get a Classic Astrotrain with money I had from selling stuff at school (nothing illegal, just Star Wars toys and Doctor Who books which I had already read ). Because I was 16 at the time and my parents thought I should have outgrown toys when I turned 10, I had to sneak it inside the house. There was no way I was going to pass up the opportunity to buy it, regardless of what anyone thought.
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks