12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Act discretely on all items of interest

10 83.33%
  • Post a thread on items of interest

2 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ninja Bidding

Default Ninja Bidding

As a collective group we all want the best deal for something we have interest in. I was thinking how many times would i be bidding against people from this thread on TF's on ebay. If i knew i would genuinely stop bidding if they are a member of this forum. That is my own personal view.

I wanted to know how many people share the same thought and perhaps a forum category on ninja bidding whereby a "shot gun" is called on a certain item so other users are able to see how many forum members have a vested interest so that it all does not come down to the last minute. The forum has around 400 members so that will minimise competition.

deleted
    Last edited by dirge; 28th July 2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Nevermind. I was thinking of something else.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

You should never, ever publicly list something you are genuinely interested in, a few discreet pms etc would be much more effective. Remember people don't have to be a part of the community to view what you are posting.

but who would u pm ? and it is possible to make certain sections of the board visible to users who have logged in and are members..

Quote Originally Posted by d*r*j* View Post
    You should never, ever publicly list something you are genuinely interested in, a few discreet pms etc would be much more effective. Remember people don't have to be a part of the community to view what you are posting.

This has been discussed before, and was deemed unfair to have one person 'reserve' an auction, to make it off-limits to others, if they were not going to bid anywhere near what others would have, and end up losing it anyway.
    For example, if there was a Gen1 Optimus Prime on ebay that one person here claims it as theirs, but only bids $100 on it (and no one else here knows how much is being bidded). They then lose the auction because it goes way above that amoung, but other people here who would have bid a lot more, miss out if we had some sort of policy prohibiting/discouraging members bidding against other members on ebay. In the end, everyone misses out.

The only time we could actually be able prevent members bidding blinkding against each other is if we all knew who here was going to bid the most on that item, and everyone else backs off. But I find that very few people are willing to announce their max bid amount, in case it encourages someone else to bid above it to secure the item. And you have a very short amount of time to work it all out with.

It may not feel nice to find out later in the acquisition topic that someone else got something you were bidding on, but there just isn't a feesable/forceable way around it.

ebay should be left alone as the free evil market that it is. Trying to apply any serious gentlemans rules will only end in tears

ebay is an auction site
    people bid
    person willing to go the highest wins
    nice and simple

I love ninja bidding and i am very happy the term gets more recognition these days.

Its pretty simple. whether its against other members on this board or randoms around the world, it comes down to whoever wants the item badly enough to bid higher for it, or whoever was committed enough to ninja bid.

What you are suggesting here is collusion, but there is no guarantee that you will win the auction against other people around australia or around the world you have not colluded with. It also doesnt even take into account other unforseen factors (internet crash, blue screen of death, traffic jams, shill bidders etc) that may stop you from even making a ninja bid once you have decided who out of the group was going to bid.

Just let nature take its course on the open market. You will win some, you will lose some, you will get cheap stuff sometimes and you will get jipped at other times.

well i guess its free for all.

i dont want to receive any pms after posting acquisitions.

and by the sounds of what griffin said people on here are to self infatuated to post max bids.

i will be polite enough to withhold my bids on items if someone here pms me the item number as thats one less person too compete with, even though im only one person if the member on here appreciates it im happy.

Once ebay hid bidder user id's from other bidders it just became every man for himself