Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Confused about Predaking and Volcanicus size differential (Power of the Primes)

Default Vinegar Protocol explanation

It's my codephrase used when a thread has been selected by an objectionable individual for the purposes of starting a flamewar to satisfy their own sense of personal superiority.
    I call those people Vinegars because of their sour dispositions.

It comes from a metaphorical expression:
    "You catch more bees with honey then vinegar".
    What it means is that if you want to change someone's opinions, being friendly has a higher chance of success then being unpleasant, which has none.

Now that I've explained the reason, please let this thread end.

lol seems like an ok idea for a thread, discussions can be healthy. We have a pretty good community here.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    this picture shows him as taller than the predaking and devastator, whos toys are bigger than the other combiners, sadly the same scale chart doesn't show the other combiners.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    This is a very good point, the G1 predacons are massive compared to the scramble city combiners, perhaps this is in part where the modern size variation comes from.
    I'm not so sure about that actually, a chap over on TFW went through a bunch of of old G1 cartoon scale charts as well as a few other things and compiled a more comprehensive scale chart then the old sunbow one. Link here (clicky)
    If we go by that, Predaking and Devastator are about the same size as other combiners, so the Titan Combiner toys are too big compared to the rest of the CW/PotP combiners. At least going by G1 cartoon scale.
    Other media likely portrays Predaking/Devastator as larger, but since Tilarta wants G1 cartoon scale that's what's most relevant for this discussion.

Technically the other CW/PotP combiner toys are also smaller then they should be (compared to the chart) due to the components needing to make a robot larger then the sum of the parts.
    But the only way to fix that would be to make the individual team members larger then they actually were in the show, thus throwing scale out the window again.

In addition to all that Tilarta needs to ignore the Volcanicus combiner completely since the G1 cartoon Dinobots don't combine and focus on the fact that the individual team members should have been voyagers at the least.
    Ain't mass shifting fun? This is why scale can be a headache to even think about.

More discussion can be found HERE due to the fact that I talk about 3rd party figures.

You wanna talk about grossly undersized gestalts, look at Monstructor!
    Check out this screen cap from the G1 cartoon where Dinoking is fighting Star Sabre and he's bigger than Star Sabre! Whereas the Dinoking toy would be barely up to Star Sabre's knee or thigh!

I don't think that Volcanicus is small it's just that Predaking is massive. But Monstructor and Dinoking are tiny even by G1 standards!

The topic will remain open while it discusses the relationship of the characters of the title and combiners in general (or other closely related elements).
    Targeting members with negative suggestions, and unsupported generalisations should be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    So much this.

Dev / Dinos or Omega
    Menasor / Superion
    Bruticus / Defensor
    Abominus / Computron
    Predaking / Sky Lynx
    Piranacon / ???
    Monstructor / ???
    It’s funny, I always think of ‘Defensor vs Bruticus’ being a thing too, but I can only think of 3 times they squared off against each other and only one was really an actual fight:

1. G1 cartoon - Defensor blows up Bruticus with a single shot. You don’t even get to see them on screen at the same time - not really a fight.
    2. Marvel Comic - the two gestalts combine but don’t actually fight as they decide to disassemble and fight in virtual reality as individual bots instead. Not really Defensor vs Bruticus
    3. Marvel Comic - they actually have a fight!

They may have fought each other in the Japanese G1 cartoon, I don’t remember the episodes that well.

I think I’ve seen Defensor have proper fights with Devestator more, they had decent punch-ups in DW and IDW

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    It’s funny, I always think of ‘Defensor vs Bruticus’ being a thing too, but I can only think of 3 times they squared off against each other and only one was really an actual fight:

1. G1 cartoon - Defensor blows up Bruticus with a single shot. You don’t even get to see them on screen at the same time - not really a fight.
    2. Marvel Comic - the two gestalts combine but don’t actually fight as they decide to disassemble and fight in virtual reality as individual bots instead. Not really Defensor vs Bruticus
    3. Marvel Comic - they actually have a fight!

They may have fought each other in the Japanese G1 cartoon, I don’t remember the episodes that well.

I think I’ve seen Defensor have proper fights with Devestator more, they had decent punch-ups in DW and IDW
    I'm sure I can remember at least one time that the two of them went toe to toe in a fight in the g1 cartoon. Will have to see if I can figure out what ep.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    I'm sure I can remember at least one time that the two of them went toe to toe in a fight in the g1 cartoon. Will have to see if I can figure out what ep.
    There were a few episodes that they were both in but not squaring off against each other I think, like The Ultimate Weapon in S3. But yeah, if there was one where they did as you said yell out as I’m buggered if I can remember one

Bruticus and Guardian (Defensor) had the following encounters in Japanese G1:

* FSRLT※ manga #5 (1986): Defensor fights Bruticus in a Japanese baseball stadium

* Scramble City OVA: Defensor appears and stares down Bruticus and... uh... not much else. They don't actually fight. Bruticus and Menasor are defeated by Metroplex. Defensor just points at Bruticus. Robot points.

* The Story of FSRLT※ manga, issue #5: Defensor, Superion and Omega Supreme battle Bruticus, Menasor and Devastator. The Autobots are all defeated by Predaking. Predaking is eventually defeated by the Omnibots. Robot Points!

* The Headmasters episode 3 (Birth of the Fantastic Double Optimus Prime): Defensor fights Bruticus in the distant future year of 2011.

* The Headmasters episodes 9 & 10 (Cybertron in Imminent Danger, Parts 1 & 2): Defensor fights Bruticus on Cybertron. While this fight happened over two episodes it was the one fight (so it counts as one if we're counting encounters).

* The Headmasters episode 34 (The Final Showdown on Earth, Part 1): Defensor fights Bruticus in Canberra, ACT. Defensor is defeated.

That's 6 times that Defensor encountered Bruticus in Japanese G1, 5 of which they actually fought. While he did encounter and fight Bruticus the most, he wasn't his sole nemesis as he also did fight Devastator, Menasor and Predaking.

--------------------------
    ※Fight! Super Robot Lifeforms Transformers (戦え!超ロボット生命体トランスフォーマー)
    P.S.: Yes, yes, I am aware that the Omnibots (Double Changers) weren't mail away exclusives in Japan. It was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Bruticus and Guardian (Defensor) had the following encounters in Japanese G1:

>snip<

* Scramble City OVA: Defensor appears and stares down Bruticus and... uh... not much else. They don't actually fight. Bruticus and Menasor are defeated by Metroplex. Defensor just points at Bruticus. Robot points.

>snip<
    ...that’s ‘cos that’s all he needed to do. #DefensorRules #Anystatementtothecontraryisherebyinoperative

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!