Thread: Sealing in Chrome

Default Sealing in Chrome

I just opened up MP Ratchet the other day and it already has some chrome wear on the bumper. I knew this from MP Ironhide so I was extremely careful with Ratchet, it must have been like that out of the box. I've read MP Hot Rod also suffers from this and no doubt further MP releases will have some chrome.

I have read on the TFW forums about people using SC Johnson Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish to protect the chrome from flaking. However, this product is not available anymore in Australia (I may be able to ebay it from overseas but it is expensive). So has anyone else protected their chrome and what product have you used?

For custom work (including but not exclusive to Alclad Chrome) I use Alclad Aqua Gloss, run through an airbrush. I'm guessing it would work for those MPs but likely you would have to do some disassembly first, and being MPs, that might be a very tricky thing to do.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    For custom work (including but not exclusive to Alclad Chrome) I use Alclad Aqua Gloss, run through an airbrush. I'm guessing it would work for those MPs but likely you would have to do some disassembly first, and being MPs, that might be a very tricky thing to do.
    Thanks for that. From what I have read the Pledge product involves doing one or two coats with a fine brush. Not really keen to do any disassembly.

Try Gauzy. Serves the same purpose as the pledge stuff. Stupid name, great product.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Thanks for that. From what I have read the Pledge product involves doing one or two coats with a fine brush. Not really keen to do any disassembly.
    Could always mask the area with low tack painters tape (the blue stuff), aluminum foil and spray the bumpers while they're still attached to the figure

I have a bottle of pledge you could borrow. As long as I got it back. I wouldn't want to have to kneecap you.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Try Gauzy. Serves the same purpose as the pledge stuff. Stupid name, great product.
    Looked it up and it is available in Australia, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I have a bottle of pledge you could borrow. As long as I got it back. I wouldn't want to have to kneecap you.
    Thanks for that mate, and yes I know not to cross ya! Would be best for me to grab my own bottle so I don't keep bugging you for future releases but if I get stuck I'll hit you up.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Looked it up and it is available in Australia, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for that mate, and yes I know not to cross ya! Would be best for me to grab my own bottle so I don't keep bugging you for future releases but if I get stuck I'll hit you up.
    The bottle is huge. I'm never gonna use it all so I don't mind if you want to pour some into your own bottle, may as well.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    The bottle is huge. I'm never gonna use it all so I don't mind if you want to pour some into your own bottle, may as well.
    In that case then that would be a great help thanks. Will send you a PM to make arrangements. Thanks to everyone for their assistance.