View Poll Results: POTP DLX Blackwing - worth buying?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 50.00%
  • Only if (cheap or something else)

5 35.71%
  • No

1 7.14%
  • Not even interested

1 7.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - POTP DLX Blackwing

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    If TakaraTOMY were to release this toy (and POTP Dreadwind) in their Masterforce colours I would definitely get them. Hail Hydra.
    I'd definitely buy them again, but alas, with TT and Hasbro's Global Unification, it'll be a while before I can fwoosh around in SGMF colours

A year after getting POTP Dreadwind I finally found Darkwing!
    (and yes, expect to see Universe Darkwind on my sales thread soon )

Welp, I just got these guys recently, and being in lockdown/social isolation is boring, so might as well add my two cents...

These guys are my first experience with the CW Aerialbot molds, besides a friend's kids having CW Blast-Off, which is a different mold anyway. Honestly, they've sort of confirmed for me why I didn't get the CW Aerialbots - from pictures the jet modes just looked sub-par with the arms just hanging off to the side, and they kind of are. If you can get past the 'block of wadded-up robot parts with plane parts attached' then they both look good together, and the fists-as-Powermaster-engines sort of work in a goofy-blocky way. BlackDarkwing's engine should have had some colour variation like Dreadwind's though. The ball joints on Blackwing's wings make him a bit fiddly in jet mode, and the fins on mine are very very bent out of shape.
    I haven't done the super-jet mode yet, but it's a nice touch that Hasbro included it.

They look better together in robot mode. Beautiful headsculpts and good colour scheme. Both of mine have kind of loose leg joints, but nothing terrible. Dreadwind suffers from having only one large gun rather than two slightly smaller guns - think I'll try getting some Shapeways guns for him somewhere down the track. Like just about everyone else, I've got Dreadwind's legs with the wings wrapped around - it works surprisingly well in person as opposed to in photos. Both toys have a lot of character and work pretty well together as a pair, and are a good homage to their G1 selves despite the slight design changes. Poseability is OK but the joints are just a little on the loose side.

I got them for $70 shipped as a set from Savier's Toys, partially 'cos I had some replacement parts for something else that were going to cost shipping anyway. They sort of feel a little overpriced for that much, mostly due to the alt-modes being so blatantly 'folded-up-robot-with-jet-parts-attached' alt-modes. I actually quite like Dreadwind and Darkwing as characters (I like Dead End too - there's just something about nihilist/depressive Decepticons that appeals to me), and not having any of the other versions of the mold I can't say I regret buying/having them. I really do like that Hasbro did these guys as an homage, and it's a clever set of remolds. But a lot of their attraction (for me) comes from the theory/thinking behind them, and as toys/in actual execution they're just Adequate.

Only If Cheap is my vote.

Darkwing and Dreadwind in combined mode