Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Things I Hate About You

Default 3 Things I Hate About You

Okay, one thing about the fandom is that it can often polarise people - we often have very strong feelings towards parts of Transformers where we absolutely love or loathe stuff. So here's how this thread works...
    * Choose one or more Transformers series that you have strong feelings about
    * For each of these, comment on 3 things of the series that you genuinely feel but goes against your overall consensus about that series.
    In other words, tell us what you like about something that you generally dislike or dislike about something that you generally like.

Here are 2 for me for starters...
    ==============================================
    • Series: Generation 1 Marvel Comics

• My Overall Consensus: Like it

• 3 Things I Dislike About It:
      1. Nel Yomtov's colouring. Often just lazy with characters entirely coloured in monotone (not just background characters - just look at Xaaron!) and at other times just odd, like why is Soundwave purple?!
      2. I, Goktimus Prime, find the hammy self-introductory dialogue to be rather lame. Especially when characters like I, Goktimus Prime, need to remind the audience of what my name is.
      3. Simon Furman making Transformers a tad too human-like. As much as I love Furman's writing and consider him to be one of the best ever TF writers, he does fall into the trap that many TF writers do and that is to write the Transformers as if they're humans even when it doesn't make sense.
      This was one area where Bob Budiansky was his superior.

• Series: Bayformers

• My Overall Consensus: Dislike it

• 3 Things I Like About It:
      1. Robots in disguise! Bayformers has given us an impressive range of licensed vehicle modes as well as other every day alt modes such as a CD player, ice cream truck, toaster etc.
      2. A reasonably realistic portrayal of the military. Many other TF series including G1 showed human technology as being mostly useless against Cybertronians. But the fact is that while they may be very strong alien robots, they are not gods. And modern human weapons technology is very powerful. Bay made the Cybertronians impervious to human weapons to a point. It was explained that they have an invisible energy barrier which protects them from most harm, but high-heat rounds like Sabot rounds (which as the movie accurately explains can melt through tank armour) would be able to penetrate their shields. The Transformers are hard to kill but not indestructible. The way that the military responds to the Transformers' detected activities on Earth is also fairly realistic. And we know that many of the military set extras were actually off-duty personnel, not actors.
      3. Giant F***ing Robots. One thing that the live action films are quite good at doing which most other media tend not to do is the perpetual reminder to audiences that the Cybertronians are massive. Bay is quite good at never letting the audience forget this. Because in other series there are times when, well... you can forget about this. Just look at IDW's MTMTE and The Lost Light series - they are predominantly stories which exclusively feature Cybertronians either on Cybertron or worlds that have been Cyberformed by Cybertronians (e.g. Necroworld etc.). As such, we lose the sense of the Cybertronians' massiveness relative to humans. The live action movies are told through the eyes of humans and as such we are always reminded that these are giant freaking robots.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

2. A reasonably realistic portrayal of the military
    I have to respectfully disagree. I have served with the Army and been on multiple ops and have worked with the Yanks and there aren't many realistic movie versions of what the military or modern war is like. (Watch a series like Taking Fire, or the movie documentary Restrepo for an actual version)

Perhaps a good way to describe the military featured in Transformers is: A real world like cinematic version of the military if they had to fight giant alien robots.
    Just to add, I love Pacific Rim and to me this was more of a realistic reaction to interdimensional beings/aliens.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

I love the Generation 1 Cartoon
    I hate the continuity errors, lazy artwork (at times) and no good English dub of the JP only series'.

I hate Bayverse Movies
    I love the comedy value in the first one, Bee as a Camaro, and Jetfire.

I love TF Prime
    I hate that it didn't have more seasons, Unicorn being wasted, all on screen toys not being released in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire in the sky View Post
    Perhaps a good way to describe the military featured in Transformers is: A real world like cinematic version of the military if they had to fight giant alien robots.
    That's what I meant by "reasonably," but perhaps I should've said "relatively." Meh, the joys of posting at midnight. And I'm really referring to most of what we see the background extras do rather than the actors who played Lennox, Epps etc. - I know that much of what they do isn't realistic. Cos according to the behind the scenes stuff on the DVD, Bay mostly just told the off-duty military personnel about what was meant to be happening and just told them to respond as per their training. As you said, as realistic as it gets if the army were fighting giant space robots. And the military were shown as being somewhat effective and not utterly useless like in most other TF series. Anyway, it looks relatively realistic to me, but admittedly I've never served so you would have a better appreciation than I would.

But I watch a lot of other movies where soldiers are fighting monsters (which is really all the Decepticons ever are in the live action films) and you see scenes where soldiers lose their cool and do utterly stupid things that get them and/or their teammates slaughtered. In the TF films we see the the military responding to the Decepticon threat as trained professional soldiers - at least, that's what it looks like to me (again, the background extras - the main actors behave far more amateurishly, screaming and carrying on etc. ).

FatalityPitt Guest

I like the IDW Transformers comics.. But I hate:
    1) ... that the art can be so bright and cartoonish at times.
    2) The dialog can be so long and wordy, and you have to remember seemingly insignificant events and conversations from previous issues to make sense of what's happening now. But in some ways it's also a good thing because it gives the stories a lot of depth and demonstrates the amount of detail the writers and artists invest in their stories.
    3) Chromedome is my favourite G1 Transformer, and though he has a more prominent role in the IDW-verse; he's not MY Chromedome. I prefer my Chromedome to be brash, reckless and fueled by burning justice!

I dislike the Unicron Trilogy Cartoons (actually I dislike the Movie-verse more, but I'm trying my best to be original)... But I like:
    1) The complexity and depth of the characters; like Starscream, Hot Shot and Wheeljack in particular.
    2) The lore is quite rich, and there are detailed story arcs around concepts like mini-cons, Cyber-Planet Keys, etc. It even introduced us to uber-powerful characters like Vector Prime.
    3) Never in my life has Transformers fiction ever made me tear up - referring to the episode where Unicron disintegrated Starscream.

Movie scenes where they drop the "soldier" line during dialogue always makes me cringe

Officers and NCO's never call their soldiers "soldier", except in Hollywood movies

ARA or chocs Jetfire?

• Series: Beast Wars

• My Overall Consensus: Like it

• 3 Things I Dislike About It:
      1. Early toys had no faction logos.
      2. That theme song.
      3. Some pretty lame names. Cheetor the cheetah, Rhinox the rhino, Dinobot the dinosaur, Insecticon the insect, Waspinator the wasp... so Gobot This is what happens when you let toy execs create names instead of comic writers (as G1 names & bios were made by Marvel writers). Then there's Tarantulas. First of all, that's not a name it's a plural. Secondly, his beast mode is a non-tarantula spider, so...
      yeah.

• Series: Generation 2

• My Overall Consensus: Dislike it

• 3 Things I Like About It:
      1. The comics gave us some great stories. Even one of the characters from these comics has made a recent comeback in the IDW comics.
      2. There were some really innovative toys.
      3. Its title is the very reason why the term "Generation 1" exists.

And now to really challenge myself...

• Series: Animorphs

• My Overall Consensus: Hate it

• 3 Things I Like About It: (hoo-boy...)
      1. They were easy to find in stores!
      2. A lot of people like the books (which admittedly are unrelated to TFs)
      3. One episode of the TV series featured a Beast Wars video arcade game

Quote Originally Posted by canofwhoopass_87 View Post
    Movie scenes where they drop the "soldier" line during dialogue always makes me cringe

Officers and NCO's never call their soldiers "soldier", except in Hollywood movies

ARA or chocs Jetfire?
    ARA
    Out now, thank the Gods. 13 years.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

But I watch a lot of other movies where soldiers are fighting monsters (which is really all the Decepticons ever are in the live action films) and you see scenes where soldiers lose their cool and do utterly stupid things that get them and/or their teammates slaughtered. In the TF films we see the the military responding to the Decepticon threat as trained professional soldiers - at least, that's what it looks like to me (again, the background extras - the main actors behave far more amateurishly, screaming and carrying on etc. ).
    Agreed.

Mind you, making people carry on emotionally does add drama. Take Apollo 13 for example. These astronauts were portrayed in the film as being highly strung out, and understandably so considering that their very lives were at risk in the middle of space during a failed moon mission. But if you listen to NASA's recordings of the actual broadcasts, even during the most critical stages the astronauts constantly remained calm, collected and entirely professional. And boring for audiences. One simple change: the astronaut who said, "Houston, we've had a problem." - this is what he said IRL. It was changed in the film to the present tense, "Houston, we have a problem." Historically inaccurate but boy does it build drama! But in reality these astronauts actually trained for every conceivable emergency, so they were actually reasonably prepared when the proverbial hit the fan. It wasn't like in the movie where they were like, "Aw crap, the rocket's falling apart, what do we do?!" panic panic panic. IRL it was like, "'Kay, no worries, we've practised this. Follow procedure."

And movies aren't documentaries - their intention is to entertain audiences. So I think that, within reason, we can cut filmmakers some slack in terms of deviating away from realism (e.g. sound in space!). Not so far away that we can no longer suspend disbelief, but yeah.