Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 102025262728293031323334354050 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic book thread ON!

Quote Originally Posted by piratescratch View Post
    Crap, it's been forever (okay August 2009) since I've visited OTCA.

I'm glad to see the comic book thread I created is still going strong.

So to kick off my return, what's everybody's favourite ongoing title at the moment?

Heroic Age Thunderbolts has knocked Secret Warriors off the top spot for me. Love the new team, love Kev Walker's art, though it looks like he won't be covering the Shadowland tie ins though.
    I'm having more time these days and am getting back into actively consuming issues rather than have them accumulating dust.

Some news here that is not new but I don't think anyone's paying attention to:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=28466

Known fact for a long time now but the rapid attrition of titles is a feature these days that I'm not sure how the large companies will retain in the long run.

Have any of you read comics on the ipad? Incredible experience. Can't recommend it enough. It's also really sparked a lot of my interest again back into comics. I got the ipad mainly for books originally. Save money and no storage space. But the same principle has come to apply to comics and the comixology apps are amazing in the way they offer a brand new reading experience. I've re-read comics I've owned and read many times and I still can't help but marvel at the quality of the experience. The only thing that doesn't have the same punch at times is the massive double splashes. But even that's easily compensated by the new way you consume the comics. Not to mention its cheaper. Perhaps this is contributing to the decline in the direct market. But given it's relative new-ness, I don't think so.

That's not to say I won't by print but definitely am only going to buy HCs or premium formats for my favourite comics now. No longer will I accumulate a whole of physical comics I have to go to the trouble of storing unless its the best stuff I must have.

Courtesy of the ipad, my current favourite series is Y the Last Man. I'm reading each issue as it gets released in the DC store. Though I have to admit I've had to resist the temptation of just going and buying the darn hardcovers and reading the whole story in one go. But I'm trying to restrain myself b/c this is the first time in a long time that I'm waitng and waiting for every single issue to come out. That's a feeling I've long forgotten; that excitement on release day. It's great to feel it again every Wednesday.

Which pales to a lot of others stuff that I get from my LCS which just accumulates and then I pick up every few months.

But yes, Y the Last Man is so far a great series. Will chase it down in HC too eventually but will read it first in single issue format.

What else I'm reading:
    - Green Lantern
    - Green Lantern Corps
    - Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors
    - Birds of Prey
    - Captain America
    - Secret Six
    - Transformers: Drift

... whoa! I just realised how heavily DC skewed that is. I grew up on Marvel but geez have things changed. I still get the Marvel HCs, mind you, but I also do that for the above (or TPB form) when it's released.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

EW! GROSS! WRONG!

I will never read a comic digitally, unless that be a few preview pics from a site. but thats just me, I understand others get what they want through other mediums.

Although absolutley Fantastic that it has gotten you back into comics

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeve View Post
    I haven't cried like that since the ending of 'The Green Mile'. I was a mess.

And here's an interesting piece regarding the death of Wildstorm.
    thanks for posting that link, I agree with it whole heartedly.
    Some of my favourite characters of all time are on the Wildcats roster and I would hate for them to never return.

I too bought an iPad for the purpose of comic books. I never wanted one, but when I bought one for my girlfriend and actually saw the potential of it, I couldn't resist. Sure I use it for other things like social networking and playing 'Monkey Island', but the comics, that's where it's at.

I use Comixology and the Marvel, DC and Transformers apps, but Comixology pretty much makes the other three redundant. And I'm not going to lie, I also use ComicZeal with the comics I've required through other means.

I was always 'only' a Marvel Ultimate and Transformers reader, then I started reading 'Invincible' and 'Fables', but it was Geoff Johns that got me reading DC with 'Green Lantern'. That was the catalyst because after that I got the iPad and I'm now reading books I never thought I'd give a go or would have otherwise not even known about. It's also helping me keep on top of all the books I'd normally wait months for trades, because I don't buy single issues. Even though in a few months I'll pick up the 'Rose Red' trade of 'Fables' to add to the bookcase, I'm reading it right now without having to deal with ads on every second page and a stack of issues taking up room that I do not have. I'd also given up on Marvel after the Ultimate line finished and did not continue to the new series' for because for a number of reasons, but now I'm giving it a go again.

One of the other major problems for me is there's no comic store on the Sunshine Coast, and despite there being a fair few in Brisbane, I still deal with my friend who owns the store in Toowoomba. Given how rarely I get to Toowoomba these days, we've always worked on a system where he orders in all the books I want, over time (months on months) I pay him off, then when I'm there next I have a haul waiting for me. I'm still doing that to a smaller extent, but now I can read new issues every Wednesday/Thursday like everyone else.

This is what I've got on the iPad right now:

- The Authority
    - Batman (Hush and Dark Knight Returns)
    - Chew
    - Fables
    - Green Lantern (also Corps, Emerald Warriors, Brightest Day)
    - Haunt
    - Invinicible (and all the spin off mini series')
    - Jack of Fables
    - Kick-Ass
    - Kingdom Come
    - Locke & Key
    - Nemesis
    - Powers
    - Scott Pilgrim
    - Superman-Batman
    - Tech Jacket
    - The Flash
    - The Amory Wars
    - The Walking Dead
    - Transformers
    - Ultimate comics
    - Y-The Last Man

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeve View Post
    - Kick-Ass
    What do you think of the comic book as opposed to the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by piratescratch View Post
    Crap, it's been forever (okay August 2009) since I've visited OTCA.

I'm glad to see the comic book thread I created is still going strong.

So to kick off my return, what's everybody's favourite ongoing title at the moment?

The Boys - all in TPB
    Fables - all in TPB, still waiting for the next serving
    so I picked up Cinderella TPB as well - very nice read
    Jack of Fables - TPB
    Brightest Day - single issues
    Ive also started on Drift miniseries so I might as well continue it as its only 4 issues anyways.
    JLA - per issue - but not so much these days. The current line -up sucks IMO
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

favourite on going title is Invincible, I am far behind the eight ball with this one but have been collecting the trades and love it. Can't say enough good things about this book!!

Also collecting
    X factor
    Wolverine
    Tick New Series
    Red Robin
    Hawkeye & Mockingbird

I am going to drop Hawkeye though, just not doing it for me and thinking of doing the same with Wolverine even though that title started off my collecting when I was 12, I think even I can get too much of Logan lol.

Over the weekend I re-read a lot of Wildcats as I was feeling nostalgic and dissapointed about the news re wildstorm. Sure that early Jim Lee wildcats stuff is very heavily inspired by the Xmen but it was really good stuff, I have the mini series and issues 1 -34 as well as a lot of spin off stuff and variant covers, I loved it so much that I will be tracking down trades of the stuff I don't have, mostly Wildcats 3.0 and the new series.

im a long time punisher fan (is there anyone out there that actually likes this frankencastle crapola???)

this was released not so long ago

not to mention him running around in shadowlands all alive and stuff, i hope this means he will be going back to normal and i can file frankencastle out with the dead angel stuff

this book reminds me of marvel knghts

otherwise Punisher Max is the best stuff ever....
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Yeah that would be me!! Love the Frankencastle arc so much, and knew it was only a matter of time before it ended.

And it was awesome to see Frank get revenge on Daken, something he could never have done otherwise.

Read FrankenCastle issue 21, and you will learn more.

Marvel Universe VS The Punisher is fantastic.