Page 99 of 154 FirstFirst ... 7989949596979899100101102103104109119 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

I cant remember what comic I read it in but Batman mentions that when he fights Superman he relies on Supes biggest weakness... compassion.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    The only person in BvS that could kill with charm is Henry Cavill.
    I would have said blandness myself.

I find Cavil's Superman and Clark Kent pretty uninspiring.

Decided to check out Rogue One. Loved all the imperial scenes, and Krennic was a great villain. Lots of fun fan service but ultimately an average movie. 6/10

Watched Split last week, directed by M. Night Shyamalan and starring Professor X. Had higher hopes for this movie as James McAvoy's performance in the trailer was pretty good, and the imdb ratings was above average for both its genre as well as M. Night Shyamalan's average since Sixth Sense (haven't seen all his recent movies, but I did see After Earth). McAvoy's performance did turn out to be great, but unfortunately it's one of those where the trailer shows off everything that was good in the movie.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

I watched Suicide Squad a bit ago. Damyum. I thought BvsS was a crap movie.... Suzie Squad makes it look like a masterpiece. I ended up pushing through the whole thing hoping it would get better. It didn't. I skipped through the credits to see if there was anything at the end, there wasn't. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Apparenltly the DVD version was a better version than the cinema version. It must have sucked watching it at the movies...

I do like grumpy old man bats. As long as he remains grumpy and ends up with an army of monster bat robots who patrol Gotham for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    I would have said blandness myself.

I find Cavil's Superman and Clark Kent pretty uninspiring.
    I suspect that is more how Clark Kent/Supes is written rather than what Cavill brought to the role. I think that ultimately, the writers of MOS and BVS and Zack Snyder just don't understand the character and made him morose, depressed, hopeless, unsympathetic, and conflicted. His motivations are muddled and the bon mots of "wisdom" shared by Jonathan Kent in both films just muddied the character even more.

Think of it this way, the difference between Christopher Reeve's Superman (noble, gentle, kind, heroic) and Cavill's is a bit like the difference between the Optimus Prime we know from various fictions (principled, noble, heroic) and Bay's OP (violent, vengeful, even sadistic). May as well be considered different characters.

Cavill was plenty of fun in Guy Ritchie's The Man From UNCLE, playing a charming and suave action hero, so I'm saying the writing and direction was the issue, rather than the actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I watched Suicide Squad a bit ago. Damyum. I thought BvsS was a crap movie.... Suzie Squad makes it look like a masterpiece. I ended up pushing through the whole thing hoping it would get better. It didn't. I skipped through the credits to see if there was anything at the end, there wasn't. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Apparenltly the DVD version was a better version than the cinema version. It must have sucked watching it at the movies...

I do like grumpy old man bats. As long as he remains grumpy and ends up with an army of monster bat robots who patrol Gotham for him.
    I don't think SS was quite as bad as BVS, but yeah, pretty damned close. A baffling and wasted time at the cinema, that's for sure. In a world where Marvel Studios can bring out fun, popular and successful movies, that at the very least are entertaining, using properties as obscure as Guardians of the Galaxy and Dr Strange, it's perplexing that DC/WB with its iconic slate of properties, can't seem to find a way to use them in a way that isn't cringe-worthingly bad (at least since Nolan's The Dark Knight).

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    I suspect that is more how Clark Kent/Supes is written rather than what Cavill brought to the role. I think that ultimately, the writers of MOS and BVS and Zack Snyder just don't understand the character and made him morose, depressed, hopeless, unsympathetic, and conflicted. His motivations are muddled and the bon mots of "wisdom" shared by Jonathan Kent in both films just muddied the character even more.

Think of it this way, the difference between Christopher Reeve's Superman (noble, gentle, kind, heroic) and Cavill's is a bit like the difference between the Optimus Prime we know from various fictions (principled, noble, heroic) and Bay's OP (violent, vengeful, even sadistic). May as well be considered different characters.

Cavill was plenty of fun in Guy Ritchie's The Man From UNCLE, playing a charming and suave action hero, so I'm saying the writing and direction was the issue, rather than the actor.
    I'll say this though, Cavill did a compelling and humorous job as the cocky vegan villain; Todd Ingram in Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. Although I haven't read the graphic novel so I can't say if he did an accurate portrayal.

That wasn't Henry Cavill in Scott Pilgrim, it was Brandon Routh who played Supes in Bryan Singer's movie

I think Snyder tried to emulate the grittier and darker tone of Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy but couldn't pull it off. Superman IMO is a pain in the ass character to create a 'grounded' movie for because he's so OP in the real world. The moment you try to bring something to match him (Doomsday) you lose the gritty edgy tone.

Being ridiculously overpowered does indeed have its downsides when attempting to apply to film.

M Bot made some good points regarding Cavill and what he was presented to work with too. I found his portrayal a mix between sleepy toe-tapper and bland, but, hey, if that's what you're given...

Finally watched Antman the other night. One of the few Avenger-eque films I hadn't seen. Was surprisingly good - very funny and great use of the shrink/grow motif.

In the current comics Deadpool is an Avenger and actually funds their activities (Spiderman quit because he finds Deadpool amoral). I dont think we will see him in their next movie though