View Poll Results: TFPrime Voy Optimus - worth buying?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 81.82%
  • Only if...

0 0%
  • No

1 9.09%
  • Not interested

1 9.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - TFPrime Voyager Optimus Prime

Default Toy Review - TFPrime Voyager Optimus Prime

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details)

Toy Review - Optimus Prime
    Series - Transformers Prime
    Sub-line - none
    Size/class - Voyager
    Wave - 0 (First Edition)
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Released here - Maybe not here at all (Released globally Nov/Dec 2011)
    Approximate Retail Price - ($45-50?) US$20
    Approximate Size - (18cm)
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - none
    Main Colours - Red, blue, black, grey
    Main Accessories - Sword, gun

One of the nice things on TF:Prime toys is the way that there's little tabs and grooves that show you've got things in the right place. The Optimus toy is a great example of this. The transformation gets a bit complicated in the front of the truck area, but as parts lock together its really easy to see you're on the right track.

In some ways this reminds me of the various movie Voyager Primes, but is more fun. I do find I'd have liked a more 'traditional' Optimus head though on this.

This is a fantastics toy. The change between a rounded, animated robot and a straight-edged realistic truck is excellent. Great folds abound during the transformation with, as Paul points out, everything tabbing into place. Unlike Paul, I would have preferred the non-faceplate version of Prime as I think it matches the fiction's characterization of him more aptly.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Unlike Paul, I would have preferred the non-faceplate version of Prime as I think it matches the fiction's characterization of him more aptly.
    This.

It always confuses the hell out of me that there aren't more Movie Prime's released without the faceplate. It's how he is on screen 90% of the time. If they weren't prepared to back the design in toy form they sure as hell shouldn't have backed it on screen. The same applies to the Prime show.

Still looking forward to this one A LOT regardless of the above gripe!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Unlike Paul, I would have preferred the non-faceplate version of Prime as I think it matches the fiction's characterization of him more aptly.
    I didn't mean "needs faceplate" I meant smaller proportions. The large creast and pointy spikes makes this head look interchangable with any other movieverse Voyager Prime. I've not seen enough TFP to have an opinion about faceplates but did think most Animated Prime toys would have been better without one, so I'd probably agree here.

I like it, Transformation is really nice, and aesthetics are good.

I agree with Paulbot on the face. Even though I was thinking he is mucho ugly in the cartoon with no nose (as the crest covers it), I was really looking forward to that ugly coming through on the toy as well. The faceplate is under the crest and points out hinting at a nose. Therefore, I can see PB's point about it being any other movie-verse Prime. He can also only look left and right on mine, probably due to a massively thick neck. That sucks a little bit.

My only other gripe would be his wobbly wobbly sword, which when plugged onto his hand is upside down, yet when plugged into his gun as a bayonet is the right way up. Although not too well on mine. Never seen the bayonet on the show, but always see the sword on his arm.

Aside from those two points, a great toy!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I didn't mean "needs faceplate" I meant smaller proportions. The large creast and pointy spikes makes this head look interchangable with any other movieverse Voyager Prime. I've not seen enough TFP to have an opinion about faceplates but did think most Animated Prime toys would have been better without one, so I'd probably agree here.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate you had a faceplate opinion . You said "more traditional" and a lack of a faceplate to me is "less traditional". My bad.

I think as far as the toys go, a faeplateless face might be more expensive to mold and paint to a satisfactory quality level. my 2c
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I prefer it with the faceplate - makes him look more "Optimus Prime" to me. Besides, the mouth was really added to help make the character physically/facially emote to the audience, but the faceplate is his battle mode. Even in Beast Wars where the toy originally had a faceplate (because Hasbro originally meant for him to be Optimus Prime), but then Mainframe decided to make him a separate character then gave him a mouth to help make him look less Optimus Prime-like... I have to admit, during Season 1 whenever I'd see his faceplate slide on I was like "Yeah! BRING IT!"

Kids prefer to have an incarnation of their hero in their full action form. Look at the movie Green Lantern toys... even though we see Hal Jordan with his mask off a lot during the movie (he only wears it when he's in action mode) - most toys of movie Hal Jordan GL show him with the mask on. I guess it's like offering kids a choice between say a toy of their hero (e.g. Superman, Batman, Spider Man, He-Man etc.) or a toy of their hero's civilian identity (e.g. Clark Kent, Batman, Peter Parker, Prince Adam etc.). I think the "hero" toy has a wider appeal than the "civilian identity" toy.

If Hasbro made two different variants of this toy - one with a masked head and one with an unmasked head, I'd take the masked head. The other alternative would be to give him a mask that can come on and off like Animated Voyager Optimus Prime, which is a pretty neat feature IMO.

You know what's gonna happen now? Hasbro's gonna release a retool/repaint with an unmasked head.