0 0%
  • Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

3 27.27%
  • Not even interested

6 54.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Cyberverse Starscream (Warrior)

Default Toy Review - Cyberverse Starscream (Warrior)

STARSCREAM
    Series - Cyberverse
    Size/class - Warrior
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 1
    Released here - Yes (8/2018)
    Approximate Retail Price - $32
    Approximate Size - 14cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Allegedly a jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Wing Slice
    Main Colours - Grey, red, blue
    Main Accessories - None

"Jet" Mode
    Just an absolute mess. The amount of robot kibble on the undercarriage is comparable to 2007's Voyager Starscream. Only that there isn't a fun rolling Gatling gun gimmick to justify it. It's bulky because the transformation is greatly simplified to the point of being an enlarged Happy Meal toy. Okay, better than a Happy Meal toy but not as good as a Legion/Legends Class figure. The landing gear cannot fully retract and the rear part of the "jet" is ridiculously gappy. Calling this mode a "jet" is being very generous indeed.

Robot Mode
    Just terrible by 2018 standards. While it has okay (though not exceptional) arm articulation, its leg articulation is severely lacking. The legs can only swing up and down at the hips [i]in unison[/b]. The legs are joined together through the crotch, meaning that they cannot articulate individually or move in opposite directions. This basically means that the legs have no meaningful articulation. They only swing up and down because the transformation requires it. This would be fine by 1980s standards, but in 2018? Really? :/ The toy also severely lacks paint ops. Only the head, chest, cockpit windows and wings have any paint on them. Everything else - the arms, legs, waist etc., are coloured plastic.

Basically this toy is a slave to its Wing Slice gimmick. You activate this by winding the toy by spinning it at the waist and then letting go. The upper body spins and the wings flip up and is supposed to open (doesn't always work) so that the wings become weapons. Cos ya know, a robot with a pair of [u]guns[/b] permanently attached to his forearms needs to be able to spin and flick you with his wings. It does have 5mm post compatible fist holes but no accessories to go in them! The inside of the wings are the nicest looking parts of the toy as they reveal a beautifully sculpted interior that's gorgeously painted purple with silver embossed Decepticon insignias. But like lipstick on a sow this is not nearly enough to redeem the toy.

Starscream's Function is "Scheming Second-in-Command." Yeah. Scheming. This has got to be one of the most absurd job descriptions since Machine Wars Thundercracker's "Rebel Warrior." Seriously. How do you get designated a military rank of Scheming Second-in-Command? How is this even a rank?! Everything about this toy is just so condescending. And I don't accept the, "But it's for kids" excuse, because you know what else was made for kids? Generation 1. One reason why we loved G1 over other stuff like Machine Men was because it didn't talk down to us - both the designs of the toys and the canon. Everything about this toy feels condescending for children.

Overall
    An inexcusably bad Warrior/Deluxe Class toy. Seriously. I cannot think of a single Deluxe Class Starscream toy that is as bad as this one. Even comparing it to other Aligned Deluxe Starscreams we can see that Warrior Cyberverse Starscream is by far the worst. It's by no means worth the Warrior price point. Avoid.

PHOTOS

Nice review and I totally agree with everything raised regarding this Starscream toy.

The figure is terrible. It really is maybe half a step above what you'd expect to get in a Happy Meal toy, and the price of these Cyberverse figures is a complete joke.

So... this is a $30 deluxe!!? Aside from the other toys in the photo confirming the scale, this really does look like a Kabaya-freebie-with-candy level toy.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    The figure is terrible. It really is maybe half a step above what you'd expect to get in a Happy Meal toy, and the price of these Cyberverse figures is a complete joke.
    Difference being that a Happy Meal toy is $2. And yeah, this is a $30 Deluxe.

Yet another Starscream figure to throw on the trashpile of Starscream figures that can't even use the vehicle's actual cockpit for his chest.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

RID Starscream's chest forms part of his cockpit canopy. It forms the rear section while the rest is on the back. But it's by no means a fake cockpit chest.

Gok, what's the recommended age range on the box for this?

I have noticed lately that most transformers, warrior class (RID) and other lines are 6+ which I think is being a bit conservative in some cases but if this line also is 6+ you really do have to wonder at the target audience.

how is the transformation? it looks like it might be very simple.

One of the things the recent RID warriors line had going for it was elegant transformations that weren't too simple but could certainly be figured out with a little thought.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    Gok, what's the recommended age range on the box for this?

I have noticed lately that most transformers, warrior class (RID) and other lines are 6+ which I think is being a bit conservative in some cases but if this line also is 6+ you really do have to wonder at the target audience.

how is the transformation? it looks like it might be very simple.

One of the things the recent RID warriors line had going for it was elegant transformations that weren't too simple but could certainly be figured out with a little thought.
    Ages 6+

Baltmatrix' review (Transforms the figure on camera at 4:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xgb5fUh8g8

Even if we just do a straight up comparison with Warrior Class RID Starscream, we can see that this Warrior Class Starscream is outright inferior. I actually gave RID Starscream a pretty positive review, but I cannot say the same about this steaming pile of faecal matter.