Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G1 Studio series - potential product line?

Lightbulb G1 Studio series - potential product line?

I've gotten a few of the Studio 86 toys.

Now I am wondering if they might be using this as a test for another Studio series, the G1 Studio series?

Basically, go back to the cartoon and make cartoon accurate toys in G1 style.

That's essentially what CHUG has become over the last few years. SS86 is rumoured to only exist in the first place because Hasbro had too much product to fit into Kingdom, so they split some characters off to make room for Beast Wars.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Since we are getting the 5 dino bots in Leader form for SS86, that means there's going to be 4-5 waves of figures? Depending on how they end up on doing Swoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
    Since we are getting the 5 dino bots in Leader form for SS86, that means there's going to be 4-5 waves of figures? Depending on how they end up on doing Swoop.
    It will probably be across multiple lines... like what they have done with 86 Studio Series and the WFC trilogy line. Cyclonus and Scourge being the example.

Rumour going around is that Slug and Swoop will be SS while Sludge and Snarl will be in the next CHUG line. I'd expect 3 waves of SS86 but could always be more.

Been loving the 86 studio series, skipped Hotrod & Grimlock as I have the MPs and am happy with them, although the ones I have gotten are excellent. Like mini masterpieces. I will be on board with any other future releases.

I got Blurr, Kup and Jazz.

I prefer the Combiner Grimlock, so didn't feel it was necessary to buy the Studio version.
    I have a customised Titan Returns Hot Rod remade to be a Targetmaster, so didn't need his Studio version either.

But I don't think that is Hot Rod, I think he is Rodimus Prime.
    As far as I know, the way to tell is to look at his legs, if they are not bright red, it's Rodimus you are looking at.

I would prefer a dedicated G1 Studio series, so we know we're getting characters from the original show.
    Presumably they'd release ones they haven't already.

Although my wishlist may be impacted by the fact some of them already came out, but not precisely in true G1 format:
    Mirage (Combiner Wars and cybertronian form), Hoist (his design is a little kibbley to me, so want to see if they can do better without the ramp master gimmick) and Red Alert (cybertronian form)

I would like a G1 optimus prime figure in Studio series

I have this (conspiracy) theory that they could have made cartoon-accurate (i.e. Studio Series) versions of the original G1 cast a long time ago. But they didn't because it would have cost Hasbro a lot of money. Imagine if they gave us Studio Series G1 versions in, say, the year 2005, and how that would have affected the Generations line - Combiner Wars, Titans Return, POTP, War for Cybertron... and maybe even the Masterpiece line. Take Volcanicus, the cartoon-inspired re-release of the POTP Dinobots - who would buy that if the 5 Studio Series Dinobots were sitting next to it?

This conspiracy theory of mine also explains why figures are not coloured in the exact same way as the original cartoon or toys - little, odd choices of colour that are out of the blue. It's kind of a planned obsolescence - we keep on buying figures that are close but not quite there, and then the next iteration is closer still but not quite there causing some people to upgrade. So G1 Studio Series would shut that money spinner down.

I understand not everyone's going to feel this way, but I think we have enough G1 as it is. Sure, there's G1 characters that haven't had an update in a while or at all but there's more to the franchise than just the first few years of characters. I'm glad they've at least branched out to BW this year.

I'd be happy if there was no G1 Optimus Prime for a year but he's a big seller so that's very unlikely. Regarding a SS86 OP, the Alternate Universe aka Dead Prime basically is that.