Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Toys 'R' Us Australia goes into administration

Galvatran Guest

Watch the vultures circling.

Interesting that they are going to wind up in July rather than the end of June. Now to see if they cut prices or return to wholesaler...
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The thing I will miss most is their really relaxed price-matching policy. I don't think I ever had a request rejected, and they never rang up the competitor's store to verify if they had the item in stock.
    Shellharbour has always been pretty tight on their price matching policy. I often had matches rejected because the retail chain I was asking them to match didn’t have any stock locally. And they always rang to confirm.

Wollongong was completely different. As long as the price you were quoting wasn’t below cost, they matched straight away.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Interesting that they are going to wind up in July rather than the end of June. Now to see if they cut prices or return to wholesaler...
    Depends on the brand. I heard that the Lego in US TRUs didn’t get discounted, it just wasn’t on the shelves the first day of the discounting. Other things got massive discounts.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Depends on the brand. I heard that the Lego in US TRUs didn’t get discounted, it just wasn’t on the shelves the first day of the discounting. Other things got massive discounts.
    In Hong Kong "discounting" on LEGO in Toys'R'Us is controlled by LEGO in a similar vein to the way Apple control pricing and discounts on products globally according to one of my husband's friends who works for LEGO. Only the smaller resellers in HK seem to be able to get away with their own pricing regimes. If the same price control rule applies to Toys'R'Us AU and LEGO globally then you're not going to see it discounted in stores here either. I'm curious to see if they do reduce it though as that is one toy range I probably would venture into Toys'R'Us to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    End of an era
    Sure is. I feel for kids who will not know the joy of being able to explore these types of toy stores. I know I loved going there as a kid, even if I didn't end up getting anything.

My wife's first job was at a TRU when she was 15. She is thinking of calling a few old friends, getting some flasks and reminiscing in the store just before it closes

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    Sure is. I feel for kids who will not know the joy of being able to explore these types of toy stores. I know I loved going there as a kid, even if I didn't end up getting anything.
    No tru around when we were kids. We had the usual department stores of bigw, target and kmart. But what else we had was toyworld which will still be around.

Only we now as adult collectors will miss it, but we'll just keep buying online as we already do for those exclusives.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    No tru around when we were kids. We had the usual department stores of bigw, target and kmart. But what else we had was toyworld which will still be around.

Only we now as adult collectors will miss it, but we'll just keep buying online as we already do for those exclusives.
    Perhaps you are a little older than I am but I remember the first time I ever went to a TRU and I was 6 years old and my parents bought me a Lego castle. We also had World 4 Kids. I remember always bugging my mum at the local Westfield to take me into TRU to check out the latest Transformers and other toys I was into.

Funnily enough for me as a kid it was always TRU, W4K and David Jones that I wanted to look in for toys. The thought of DJs now haha.

I used to hunt Grace Bros too. The good old days