Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii U

Default Nintendo Wii U

I live in Nq and honestly, I know one person that owns a Wii u... now I know there are haters (and I don't want to get involved with fanboys) but it honestly IS a great console. The problem is that the main men behind it Reggie from America and Iwata (I know they aren't the share holders pushing for stuff) from Japan seem to not really listen to the fans. Nintendo have a shit tone of cash behind them, why can't they put all that money making a powerful machine up with the ps4 and Xbone and yes, I do realise that a lot of people say that these aren't really 'next gen' as well. Also, why can't they put a lot of emphasis into 3rd party companies that bring out the big name titles? They need to, to keep the fans coming back right? I mean, I LOVE Mario bros, Mario kart, Zelda, Metroid and most other titles but how good would it be to have those and the likes of games like - Wolfenstein, Gta, The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls and many more? Seems to me like they need a change of management... Some fresh blood?

As far as I was aware, Ninty charge rather large licensing fees for their console, which is why from pretty much the N64 onwards the only games that seem any good on Ninty consoles are Nity games (Zelda, Mario, smash bros Metroid etc etc.).

The only game I got for my Wii that wasn't a Ninty game were the Transformers games and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. (twice)

Hopefully Nintendo show us the big guns this E3 in a few weeks. If they show us Zelda, Metroid and a few more big games then that should get the ball rolling. New consoles are always slow to release quality games, usually taking at least a year or two before it heats up to its true potential.

IMO there's too many indie/re-hashed mobile games being released on the Wii U eShop. Nintendo need to start pushing for quality in all their games instead of trying to get their numbers up. Nintendo's Wii U is not a console for everyone, but those who have played their classics such as Metroid Prime, Zelda Ocarina of Time, or Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy, know that you don't get much better in gaming then the mighty N. Bring on E3.

Mario kart 8 in just a few days, keeeeeen!

The Wii U is just the best. I really don't have a desire to get a PS4 or XBox One at all, and there are more than enough games for it.

I couldn't imagine playing Arkham City or Deus Ex on anything else, ever, anymore. It's just a shame so many people dismiss for no real reason (or the really classy people who try and prove their 'maturity' by ranting about how it's for kids. Erm, no. It's for everyone.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
    The Wii U is just the best. I really don't have a desire to get a PS4 or XBox One at all, and there are more than enough games for it.

I couldn't imagine playing Arkham City or Deus Ex on anything else, ever, anymore. It's just a shame so many people dismiss for no real reason (or the really classy people who try and prove their 'maturity' by ranting about how it's for kids. Erm, no. It's for everyone.)
    I just bought deus ex today, I've heard some good reviews so keen to give it a crack!

We have a Wii at the moment and it doesn't get a lot of play time, makes it hard to justify the purchase of a WiiU, how do you guys feel about the new larger controller? It looks interesting to me, but cumbersome.

I get the impression from the post above that older Metroid Games can be purchased digitally through the wii U shop? if that is the case i'd be more interested for sure.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I hear that the Wii-U is actually Next Gen hardware capable. Unfortunately the trend with Nintendo since the Wii (and growing from the GC) is to release all these baby/girly games and only have one good solid release every 6 months or so. You can't hold fan interest on one good game every 6 months no matter how awesome it may be.

The Wii was really poor hardware wise. You certainly weren't 'Playing with Power' as the old slogan used to promote. It was just a slightly more accelerated GameCube and the reason why it was so easy to emulate. However it was a hit with the casual masses but as Nintendo should now be able to see in sales figures, the 'masses' are rarely sustainable.

Wii-U should open up to 3rd parties to develop more games for it that gamers want to play along with a big name 2nd party exclusive (Like Killer Instinct was once). This was what made the NES and SNES so successful. I think the executive brass over there are unable to see that despite the answer staring them right in the face due to current trends and history.

I am a huge Nintendo fan but I stopped caring from GC onwards due to poor hardware. When the Dolphin Emulator begun to truly update those games with Widescreen and Hi-Def, that's when I started to pick up the games. I am considering a wii-U once it drops more in price but only for Zelda and other Nintendo games that get released. If Nintendo's down trend continues, it will most likely only be for playing those games released every 6 to 12 months.

You can't buy Wii games from the e-shop, but it will play Wii discs.

I have a Wii U but i wouldn't call it a good console. It's just like most Nintendo consoles, only really good for the Nintendo games and not much else. Though they still have the quality they've always had, i'm tiring of the same old franchises. Some of my favourite franchises, like F-Zero, Wave Race and indeed Metroid have been ignored in favour of pretty much basic retreads of their typical hits. The new Mario Kart looks good but is still pretty much the same game it's always been. I was going to skip it, but it's only $58 at Big W and you get a free download of another game as well, so i decided i'll get it anyway.

Disregarding the games, the console itself is outdated clunky shit. It takes way too long to do anything from turn it on, to go to settings, to load the e-shop, to jump back to menu. Compared to Vita, a handheld for gods sake, it boggles my mind that the system is so slow. The gamepad hasn't really offered up any creative or mind blowing gameplay experience, and the screen, like the 3DS, looks like something they found in a dumpster from 2005. The resolution is too low and the colours are all washed out.

I got mine at launch for only $300 which i think is a pretty decent price (paid $350 for a launch 3DS after all!). And i've had some good times with the Nintendo games, appreciated the 30c virtual console promo they had a while back etc. But it also sucks that there's no N64 games on the store either, so you're forced to go into Wii mode. You can see the games on TV or Gamepad, but you can't USE the gamepad controls! ... it's just so half-assed.

If you can get one cheap and know what you're getting into - ie just a Nintendo greatest hits box, it's not bad. I don't really regret my purchase because of that - but part of it is also because with limited time, it never really bothers me if there's not much coming out for a console. It's also cheaper when you don't have a lot of choice!

In a year or so PS4 and XB1 will have way more variety of games to go along with their much better hardware though. It really just comes down to what you want to play.

Nintendo's history with 3rd parties has always been and probably always will be the same - they make no effort to get anything other than one or 2 big releases (like how they've secured Monster Hunter, which effectively gave them the Japanese handheld market). Their idea is that, with their 1st party software, they'll build an install base and from that, 3rd parties will want a piece of the pie. They've failed to build an install base with an uber-hit like Wii Sports was, and now it's too late, so there's nothing they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    As far as I was aware, Ninty charge rather large licensing fees for their console, which is why from pretty much the N64 onwards the only games that seem any good on Ninty consoles are Nity games (Zelda, Mario, smash bros Metroid etc etc.).

The only game I got for my Wii that wasn't a Ninty game were the Transformers games and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. (twice)
    Tatsunoko Vs Capcom is so good, I hope they would soon make a hd edition or even a sequel.. Ah the hours spent with my mates playing that game!