Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii U

I pick up my Wii U Mario Kart bundle this week, pretty damn excited

Quote Originally Posted by Reflector View Post
    I pick up my Wii U Mario Kart bundle this week, pretty damn excited
    It is awesome. You'll be very impressed with the graphics, it's what convinced me that the Wii U is indeed Next gen despite criticisms of the contrary. They just need to fully unlock its potential.

What's your NNID kup? We could get a few online games going.

It does indeed look very good, but so does Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed (PS3/360/WiiU etc). I think if you've been playing PS3/360 for a while it's understandable to think that Wii U isn't that much of an improvement graphically.

I know you can't really compare something like Mario with a realistic looking game, but Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes, which i played through on PS3 - that game's graphics impressed me more than anything i've seen on Wii U so far.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    What's your NNID kup? We could get a few online games going.

It does indeed look very good, but so does Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed (PS3/360/WiiU etc). I think if you've been playing PS3/360 for a while it's understandable to think that Wii U isn't that much of an improvement graphically.

I know you can't really compare something like Mario with a realistic looking game, but Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes, which i played through on PS3 - that game's graphics impressed me more than anything i've seen on Wii U so far.
    What? No, as I said "it's what convinced me that the Wii U is indeed Next gen despite criticisms of the contrary." which means that I do think the Wii U is technically up there in the Next Gen crowd and better than the previous generations. Don't misunderstand my disappointment at absent standard features like licensed surround sound and media with gaming capability.

I am a PC gamer also so I will always be above the curve when it comes to graphics and I will say that the Wii U is up there. Just look at Mario Kart 8, it looks great.

I will check with my NNID is and let you know. Can't remember as I don't usually play online but Mario Kart seems fun enough to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    What? No, as I said "it's what convinced me that the Wii U is indeed Next gen despite criticisms of the contrary." which means that I do think the Wii U is technically up there in the Next Gen crowd and better than the previous generations.
    Yeah i understand, i'm just disagreeing - sorry my wording didn't make it clear it was my opinion! The Sonic Racing game is in some ways even better looking than Mario Kart 8 - even on PS3 and 360. MK8 runs at a solid 60fps though; obviously the Wii U is the more advanced machine, but in practice i don't think it'll get pushed as hard.

Particularly with the styles of games it gets, the end results are only marginally better or the same imo. Lazy 3rd party ports are often worse too, not that that's the hardware's fault. Have you seen God of War on PS3? That and others are still absolutely stunning for a machine so old.

[QUOTE=Trent;427329]Have you considered that not everyone has the same expectations and requirements as you? My PS3 currently serves the following roles: game console, DVD player, BluRay player, occasional internet browser and streaming device for both movies and pictures, music, etc. it currently sits in a little cabinet next to my stereo. There is no room for anything else. Considering that most people want these to double as a media centre these days it's not to much to ask that they include these features. It in no way compromises the console. The games are still the same, the controller stays the same, the price may go up a little but that would be easily offset by the increased number units they would shift, which would do nothing but good things for everyone.[/quotye]

Nobody get's a Nintendo console wanting it or expecting it to double as a media centre. And you accuse me of not considering what other people want, when you're own entire argument is "this is what I want from things regardless". You mention increased sales numbers, increased enough to offset any kind of price increase or loss of sales because of a higher base price but I see no proof of that at all. If you've got some links there that prove me wrong, feel free.

I don't want to buy a Wii U then still have to cough up for a BluRay/DVD player. I don't want to fiddle around buying and setting up a media server/streaming device.
    But don't you already have a PS3?

Look at their sales figures and tell me if that's working out for them?
    All because of the media capabilities, right? No other reason?

Games are another thing. Do you know why I want one? Mario Kart and Smash Bros. That's it. I can't say I've seen anything else that interests me.
    Then you have very peculiar taste or aren't sure what's out there because you don't have one, possibly.

[QUOTE=kup;427347]
    Buying a Bluray player for $100 when you already have a PS3? Sorry but that is ridiculously redundant and very silly.
    No it's not. Just like I happily purchased a DVD player despite having a PS2. I set games to auto-run, too. I stopped using the streaming option because of it being so haphazard, not allowing playlists or having a random option. But it's still just so amazing to have these features that are clearly after thoughts, rigid in customisation and compatibility and offer no real advantages if they never work properly? Plus, you demand it inbuilt, and then what happens when you're console dies or is off being repaired?

And actual timeline, so you have some context for your tongue clicking and judging is: Bluray home theatre, PS3, AMP with speakers, Standalone player, robbery, nothing. And I would get them all again (well, not the home theatre).

Imagine what would happen if the Wii U was a Media machine that not only played Bluerays but also played Nintendo games? F**k, it would be meltdown in sales, they would not be able to keep up.
    It would result in a higher cost for the system, Nintendo having to pay companies licensing to use Bluray media, and would be features that I don't really think would be used as much or increase sales as much as you're claiming. Much like to Trent, you got some links to backup your claims of a "sales meltdown" over media capabilities? Even with a high base price due to increased production costs?

[QUOTE=Gouki;427630]
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Much like to Trent, you got some links to backup your claims of a "sales meltdown" over media capabilities? Even with a high base price due to increased production costs?
    I didn't know we were under oath in a court of law. We are just talking here, discussing and speculating from our own diverging viewpoints. It is silly when someone demands 'hard evidence' for someone else's casual opinions or views.

Why the demand for the Wii U to be the same media box the other two are shitting out. I miss the old ways

[QUOTE=kup;427634]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouki View Post

I didn't know we were under oath in a court of law. We are just talking here, discussing and speculating from our own diverging viewpoints. It is silly when someone demands 'hard evidence' for someone else's casual opinions or views.
    Awesome. Way to contribute. Don't worry I won't see any reply, but it's pretty obvious all your "but the console needs it" were just selfish demands trying to be passed as "good business" Nintendo needs to start doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    Why the demand for the Wii U to be the same media box the other two are shitting out. I miss the old ways
    There is demand out there. Personally, I don't care as the PS3 covers it but I can see why others would. Having media capabilities on the pad alone would be a plus as you can take it anywhere in the house.

My biggest gripe is lack of proper Dolby/DTS support for games.