Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: US Amazon shipping some regular TFs toys overseas

If it is stopped, I hope they are still allowed to honor pre-orders for G2 Bruticus which isn't out until November.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    After speaking to the ACCC, IP Australia and Customs, I've found out that Toys & Games are definitely not part of what's allowed for parallel-importing, which means the foreign-owned toy companies hold a monopoly on distribution in this country.
    Until that changes, this loophole by Amazon will be kept secret, as those toy companies will put a stop to it if they find out about it. (because it would mean selling less over-priced stock to retailers here, if less Australians buy from domestic stores)
    I'm sure they will find out about it (if not already), and will force Amazon to stop, so take advantage of it while it lasts.
    HOLY! So the ACCC know about the ability of companies to reduce competition and it's fine? Nice one Australia!

They said that they don't have the laws (powers) to stop it.
    It'd take lobbying federal politicians to change it... and well... Labor aren't in the position to pick a fight with big business (the importers who hold these monopolies), and the coalition are pro-big business, so won't be biting the hands that feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    If it is stopped, I hope they are still allowed to honor pre-orders for G2 Bruticus which isn't out until November.
    A very concerning point!

It'd take lobbying federal politicians to change it... and well... Labor aren't in the position to pick a fight with big business (the importers who hold these monopolies), and the coalition are pro-big business, so won't be biting the hands that feed them.
    ...And a case of "Business as usual".

A fine case of democracy at work!

I really don't think anyone has anything to worry about
    Amazon have been shipping selected toys internationally for a few years now ..

Looks like Amazon may be on borrowed time, with BBTS being forced by Lego to not export their products (to countries that they make a much bigger profit-margin in).
    I wonder if this is a trend for each of the foreign-owned companies, to close up the bigger loopholes that let us buy products for half what they are sold here.

Another reason to keep Amazon's exporting of toys quiet I think. Even if Lego/Hasbro/Mattel know about it, as long as it isn't being publicly promoted, they won't make it a priority to prevent it... yet.

I remember when Sony pulled a lawsuit on Lik-sang (causing them to shut down completely, eventually) for selling import games to the UK. They also for a period stopped Play-Asia from doing the same, but that has disappeared in recent times. I think each case is pretty isolated tbh, with not much risk of anyone in Australia being clued in enough to realise anything. Global market is taking over and they'd be better served putting their effort into making their online stores global and fairly priced than shutting down consumer choice, but again i doubt anyone in these companies is smart enough to realise that either!

I hope this doesn't happen with Ozgameshop... I buy all my PS3 games from there because I refuse to pay double the price here.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

There must be some loophole we can take advantage of??? I dont like this one bit!! Seeing an album for $20 in Aus and yet $10 for Americans.