View Poll Results: Brainstorm. Worth buying?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • You better believe it!

18 66.67%
  • Probably, if the circumstances are right.

5 18.52%
  • Can take it or leave it.

1 3.70%
  • A big fat nope.

0 0%
  • Not even interested.

3 11.11%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review: Generations Brainstorm

I love this figure. I was a little disappointed in the headmaster arms and paint application, which was a bit sloppy. I will be getting the reprolabels for him which will just give it that little extra oomph!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Supreme View Post
    I will be getting the reprolabels for him which will just give it that little extra oomph!
    They do indeed

(Sorry, don't have a solo shot of just Brainstorm)

Great homage to the IDW character and a really nice 'update' of the G1 toy. I really like how the head is so well articulated. Mine must be a later production run, as I have absolutely no problem removing the Headmaster from the Transtector. The instructions show the robot mode's official transformation with the wings spread out, but I like to fold them in to help make the robot mode look more different from the jet mode, as well as making the robot mode more practically streamlined (cos he's not gonna be able to walk abreast through too many doorways ), and also because G1 Brainstorm has his wings folded back.

I do wish that the hands were able to lock out into position. They're prone to collapsing if Brainstorm so much attempts to punch anything remotely solid. (-_-)

And something else... the Headmaster unit. IIRC it's only referred to as the "pilot". The name 'Arcana' isn't used and there doesn't appear to be any reference to the pilot even being a separately sentient/sapient being. For all we know it could just be a detachable/transformable drone, or maybe it's a small robot who's the real Brainstorm... much like the Headmasters in Japanese continuity. From an IDWverse POV, this might still work -- just as Minimus Ambus is a little robot inside a small robot inside Ultra Magnus, or maybe Brainstorm rebuilt himself with a detachable and transformable head that would allow him to better sneak about and get up to no good. It's interesting to wonder if the Pilot has any capacity to think independently of Brainstorm, or if it's nothing more than an extension of his will.

G1/Generations comparison pic can be found here.

Brainstorm is mine!

This figure rocks. He's quite a bit taller than expected. I got the 2nd production run (mine was from BBTS), so no Headmaster issues. The data display flipping up to a seat is awesome.

Robot mode is really IDW accurate. I'd say the only complaint is the clown feet, but they kind of suit the character, which is projected through this figure quite well.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Yeah, definitely comic accurate, was having a play with mine earlier - I ended up getting the reprolabels set for him, adds a bit of "glow" making him even more comic accurate

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    now I've placed him in my collection, he's almost too big. Tallest voyager figure I have
    Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post

He's big. As in, he towers over other Voyager figures, including older- and taller- Voyagers (eg. Classics Optimus Prime or Springer). In a way he's almost too big - he looks kind of out-of-place amongst most other Classics-type bots.
    definitely. he is almost out of place here, especially standing next to Trailcutter & Whirl. He's almost (but not quite) taller than ROTF Lockdown, and FP City Commander.. but as you said, excellent posability, no desire to git rid of him.

Compared to the more recent CHUG figures then yeah he is too big, but if you place him with older ones like Hardhead then...

... his size kinda works. He's only as tall as Hardhead and if you take their alt-modes into account these 5 that became Headmasters in S4 of the cartoon seem to actually be in proportion

Of course, it all falls down if you compare them to their comparitive sizes to each other in IDW

that Hardhead was Ultra class, not Voyager wasn't he?

Yeah but did Voyager class exist back then? I think they did but there was only a couple of bucks and a slight difference in size. Considering how much smaller toys are now compared to then, I reckon the Ultra back then is the equivalent of the Voyager now, same as a Deluxe from a few years ago looks twice as big as the Deluxes do today

Anyway, the pic was more to show how Brainstorm and Hardhead are a good scale match for each other (and also to show off some toys )

You are correct. By 2008, Ultras were retailing here for $70 whereas Voyagers (e.g. Animated Lugnut, Blitzwing etc.) were pretty much selling for the same RRP as Voyagers do today; $40.

BTW, I'm selling an MISB Brainstorm if anyone's interested. </shameless.plug>

Am I the only one to display Brainstorm with a green marble in his chest cockpit?