Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Beast Wars Megatron

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    A re-release can't be compared with the initial run.
    In terms of this discussion, I'd argue it can. What causes reissues to sell at a lower rate are supply and demand issues. With reissues, what you're typically talking about is something that was out at a reasonable price, sold out due to demand, which was large enough to warrant the reissue. Then demand dries up, which causes the price to lower, to increase demand to drive sales.

In this case, what you're talking about is an initial run, but one which is at a significantly prohibitive price, which significantly reduces demand, which kills off sales. To combat this, the figures in the initial run have their price lowered, to drive up demand, to drive sales.

In short, while it may not appear like it, the supply and demand issues on the remnants of reissues, parallel those of significantly overpriced initial runs of figures.

That's a very simplified view. Character importance is incredibly important as well; MP-10 has been reissued a million times by both Hasbro and Takara and constantly sells because he's popular. BW Megatron clearly isn't on his level however he is also an incredibly popular character, arguably more so than Ultra Magnus.

Will Megatron lose sales because of his price? Yes, obviously. But to say that he'll shelf-warm? Are you a prophet or something to make a statement like that? There are a ridiculous amount of people in his fandom with more money than sense (especially the Japanese) that will barely flinch at the price.

So what I'll say is that there is some similarities but it's not parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi594 View Post
    i saw the price at bbts...i couldn't believe it! then i came here and now i'm shocked to the core!

So if u want 1, it's going to cost:
    35,000 - 20% = 28000
    + GST = 30800
    shipping = ~lets say 3000 yen cos he's big = 33800
    exchange rate = lets say we're at 80 yen mastercard rate = 422.5!!!
    $422.50 for a transformer! No diecast!
    This is more than chogokin/macross/hot toys pricing!?

I can see dinobot is back in stock at hlj...preorder cancel in response to megatron price reveal?

I'll probably preorder and CANCEL if it doesn't sell out
    HLJ have had Dinobot back up for preorder for a few months now. Long before Megs was announced.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

bowspearer Guest

Will Megatron lose sales because of his price? Yes, obviously. But to say that he'll shelf-warm? Are you a prophet or something to make a statement like that? There are a ridiculous amount of people in his fandom with more money than sense (especially the Japanese) that will barely flinch at the price.
    Yes and no. $400 is starting to take you into the territory of the Imaginarium Art statues. Those aren't anywhere near as mainstream as the Masterpiece line are and really, that's essentially where the "more money that sense" category lies, which I'm guilty of having been in. With Dinobot I was borderline but the complexity was enough to talk myself into it, with the rationale that surely because BW Megatron lacked complexity, that it would be lower in price. Instead it is even more expensive.

To put this in context, it is a good 1.5x the price of the higher end of the Soul of Chogokin Line, it is significantly more than the Diaclone 2.0 line and it is way higher than any Masterpiece figure to date.

The figure is popular, but put a price high enough and it is enough to give even the most "shut up and take my money"- minded fan pause. I don't see this doing that well precisely because the price is so high that it is in price shock territory.

Certainly I could be wrong, but I don't think my read on things is that off. The crowd that can treat this as a drop in the bucket are simply too small to support this run and when it fails to sell, it'll be forced to go on sale. Even BW Dinobot now has cancellations on HLJ and I'm saying this as someone who still has their preorder up.

I'm saying this as one of the "more money than sense" fans you're trying to cite to kill off the argument of one such fan. Heck, I've bought MISB and MIB preTFs and $700 prototypes, to put my spending habits in context.

From that perspective, as one of the very fans you attempt to invoke in your argument, this price is a want-killer.

So what I'll say is that there is some similarities but it's not parallel.
    As one of the very fans you attempt to invoke to back up your argument, I completely disagree with you here.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    HLJ have had Dinobot back up for preorder for a few months now. Long before Megs was announced.
    They have, but I'm almost certain it was on Order Stop until quite recently.

You sound very condescending here, whether you intend it or not. Just because you're someone that spends a lot of money doesn't mean you speak for everyone with your bank account.

You have reasons for thinking it'll shelf-warm and I have my reasons for thinking it won't shelf-warm so lets just agree to disagree.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I think it may shelf warm a bit at that price but it will go when is cheaper.
    But thats my opinion on it as BW is only targeting a specific fan based.

My view is that once it hits over 25,000jpy is where you reconsider the spend.

I reckon the price point is borderline crazy on this, and can't justify the cost for a parts forming simple design. It really does seem like Takara is taking us for a ride, expecially compared to the quality 3P releases we have been seeing for similar price or cheaper (Dx9/FT omega, TW constructor ect).

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post

It's been "order stop" the last few times I've checked the site... as I was hoping that they would be stuck with a lot of stock and discount it when it is released.

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    They have, but I'm almost certain it was on Order Stop until quite recently.
    No, it was open for preorder. I know because I preordered one only a week or two before Megs was announced.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain