Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seibertron interviews Livio Ramondelli

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    So he's like the Michael Bay of comics - he can do great promo action shots, but is hard to watch a whole issue in that style.
    Okay, I see your point, but the comparison seems a tad harsh. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Overall I like his art, but for comics the storytelling is not great and his colouring does tens to make everything too dark. There are less appealing artists doing TF art, so i like this for being something different.
    You've answered a question I had but didn't post - who did his colours? If it's him, then perhaps his own colouring is somewhat ruining his pencils.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    That art is really nice Sam, but that highlights what i find as blurry in the Monstrosity series.

what you showed there is really excellent, it feels to me there is a filter that's applied somewhere between the original art and the final coloured inked images that takes out a lot of the sharpness and adds almost a grainy scratched texture. so much of the initial detail is lost.
    I too think that perhaps whoever did the inks has kinda taken away from his pencils rather than lifting them out.

I recall a brief conversation with Goktimus Prime some years ago on a similar topic. I told him that I didn't like Andrew Wildman's rendition of robots having spittle when they spoke. Goktimus told me that Wildman didn't add the spittle in, it was the inker who did that.

Later on I had the chance to check out some of Wildman's pencils on the internet, and he was right - Wildman's lines are quite clean and tidy.

This makes me think that perhaps if only IDW used an inker that had better complemented Ramondelli's lineart, we'd enjoy his art in the comics a lot more.

I have often found that when a penciller and inker who has worked together for a number of years continue to work on titles together, the art really shines because they have learned how to complement each other's strengths. A couple of examples I can think of are Ed McGuinness / Dexter Vines, and Jim Lee / Scott Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Those Sharkticons look awesome. I like the look of some of his art.
    Yeah, there is a certain "industrial-ness" to the way he makes the metal look that gives it a nice sense of realism.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    You've answered a question I had but didn't post - who did his colours? If it's him, then perhaps his own colouring is somewhat ruining his pencils.
    He did briefly say in the podcast that he does his own lighting and colours. Also he says he does his comic work digitally, I don't know if thats common or if it contributes to the problem.