Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone trying Windows 10

From the little I know about 10..
    - it constantly gathers data from you and uses it to send ads your way and for onselling.
    - it scans your drives and can automatically delete files MS chooses.

And was it an automatic download for 8.1 users? Because i hear it has been putting people over their d/l quotas. That is a breach of trust right there as it was not what automatic updates were for. A lady at work has now unwisely (but i don't blame her) turned automatic updates off.

I have Vista and was looking for 7 but is 8.1 the best before big b10ther came along?
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    - it constantly gathers data from you and uses it to send ads your way and for onselling.

And was it an automatic download for 8.1 users? Because i hear it has been putting people over their d/l quotas. That is a breach of trust right there as it was not what automatic updates were for. A lady at work has now unwisely (but i don't blame her) turned automatic updates off.

I have Vista and was looking for 7 but is 8.1 the best before big b10ther came along?
    I think that only happens if you choose the Default options in the initial configuration. It asks a lot of questions about sending stuff to Microsoft including what you mentioned. I simply chose No on all of them.

I came here to read about your thoughts on Win10. All I've been reading is how much a cluster f* this thing is to install. Pass!
    So has anyone actually used it? Is it worth it?
    I like win7. How is it better than that?
    I don't want to be bombarded with adds, apps and whatnot I don't care for.

Quote Originally Posted by VGMStudios View Post
    I came here to read about your thoughts on Win10. All I've been reading is how much a cluster f* this thing is to install. Pass!
    So has anyone actually used it? Is it worth it?
    I like win7. How is it better than that?
    I don't want to be bombarded with adds, apps and whatnot I don't care for.
    To be perfectly frank, so far Win10 is a bit of lipstick on a pig (and ugly lipstick at that). There is almost nothing that Win10 does which Win7 doesn't already do. The only benefit that I can think of from a practical perspective is the Netflix app which grants you the ability to use surround sound speakers instead of 2.1 on Win7.

Having said that, Win10 has been getting a lot of harsh criticism, a lot of it unfounded. I did not have much issue installing it with the only problem being Graphics card drivers that I needed to download and install - That is a default for any gamer so not just a Win10 thing. It also took a couple of days to settle down, at first it was a bit slow with the HDD constantly crunching and then it settled.

Now it's working fine and I can do anything I could on Win7 only that I don't like the interface that much and default theme sucks. So yeah, unless you are curious, there isn't much incentive to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post

The ads thing can be opted out of if you chooses default as well. It's a bit of a fiddle, but doable. It wasn't an auto download for 8.1 unless you reserved your copy for it, and you had to go through a different procedure to get it, as opposed to it being in the general updates page.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I think that only happens if you choose the Default options in the initial configuration. It asks a lot of questions about sending stuff to Microsoft including what you mentioned. I simply chose No on all of them.
    Or google the opt out thing as well.

I've installed it on my new laptop and had one issue with it and thats because I didn't pay attention to when I installed it, and that was because it was in Japanese, I accidentally accepted default install. And it likes to reinstall apps I take out. I'd really like to delete forever some apps (never going to use the xboxx app for example).

I like it more than 8.1, but overall, I think Win7 is better than both. So if you're on 8/8.1, do it. If win7, I'd stick with that

A couple of days ago Win10 downloaded an update that caused my PC to go on an infinite boot/crash cycle. Tried repairing and it wouldn't budge. Anytime it loaded any aspect of windows, the crash loop cycle would start.

I was forced to remove it and go back to Win7....

Microsoft, I gave your OS a fair go and that's how you repay me? Get your act together.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Don't forget that this is going to be forced shovelled onto xbox ones as well.

The only advantage here is that it should give dx12 the development boost it needs, the ONLY reason to use win10. But in the end it's still windows 10.

Buy a console, buy a ps4.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    Don't forget that this is going to be forced shovelled onto xbox ones as well.

The only advantage here is that it should give dx12 the development boost it needs, the ONLY reason to use win10. But in the end it's still windows 10.

Buy a console, buy a ps4.
    Never had much interest in Xbone and the PS4 library does not yet have an assortment of exclusive games I would be interested in.

I'll stick with Windows 7 until win10 gets their act together, the PC is still my gaming platform of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    A couple of days ago Win10 downloaded an update that caused my PC to go on an infinite boot/crash cycle. Tried repairing and it wouldn't budge. Anytime it loaded any aspect of windows, the crash loop cycle would start.

I was forced to remove it and go back to Win7....

Microsoft, I gave your OS a fair go and that's how you repay me? Get your act together.
    wow ...that sucked .... time for a fresh install instead....
    one of my updated win10 comp...the stupid edge explorer crashed and would not work any more.... so only using chrome on that ...
    but my main fresh installed win10 comp working just fine....
    so i think the updated one has compatible issues still ...

Still using 8 and loving life
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]