Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Digital Photography Equipment Thread

Are there any Canon users here that can recommend a good Macro lens?

(looking at the EFS 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM at the moment)

Also, is there anyone interested in buying a two week old EFS 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 lens (MIB)?

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime View Post
    Are there any Canon users here that can recommend a good Macro lens?

(looking at the EFS 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM at the moment)
    Picked up a Tamron SP 60mm f/2 Di II Macro over the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM today.

It's faster, cheaper and (arguably) has better build quality over the Canon equivalent whilst producing equal (if not better) image quality.

I highly recommend it to anyone that is looking for a macro lens as the image quality is superb, which these pics will attest!

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime View Post
    Hey all,

I thought I would start a thread for all those that are into digital photography, where we can discuss equipment, etc.

Newbies can also feel free to ask for advice before investing in a camera (and/or lens, etc).

Please also feel free to post about what sort of equipment you have too.

Here's what I have invested in over the past couple of months:

Body:
    Canon EOS 550D

Lenses:
    EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6
    EF 50mm f/1.8

Next on the wish/shopping list is the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 - would love feedback on this lens if anyone here has one.
    So i want to replace my crappy camera (Kodak Easy Share) and looking at your pictures, how would you rate your camera? As your picture show all the little details that i want to capture. Is it easy to use? Mainly want it for toys photos and photos of my car and car events

Quote Originally Posted by rampagesss View Post
    So i want to replace my crappy camera (Kodak Easy Share) and looking at your pictures, how would you rate your camera? As your picture show all the little details that i want to capture. Is it easy to use? Mainly want it for toys photos and photos of my car and car events
    It depends on whether you're a patient person or not, but going from a point & shoot compact camera to a digital SLR is quite daunting for some people - but if you're patient and willing to sit there and play around with various settings, you can get outstanding results.

The EOS 550D has already been replaced by the 600D - same camera except the new one comes with a flip out screen, but at the time, the 550D came very highly recommended by many reviews as one of the best 'entry level' DSLR and after a few months of ownership, I also highly recommend it.

The 550D can be had for quite 'cheap' these days as it has already been superseded - I'd recommend getting the single lens kit (18-55mm) based upon what you're saying you want to take pics of.

The 18-55mm is a zoom lens so it covers most bases, but if you want to keep it simple, you could just buy the 550D body alone and get the sub-$150 EF 50mm f/1.8 lens (which is a fixed lens).

I use my 18-55mm lens for taking pics of my car and outdoorsy type pics and switch to other fixed lens for taking pics of toys since they're faster and sharper.

Hope this helps.

I am a Nikon fan in the flim SLR days... now change camp already

Quote Originally Posted by tron07 View Post
    I am a Nikon fan in the flim SLR days... now change camp already
    Traitor!

In hindsight had I known that the Nikon lens mounts have been backwards compatible with their old stuff, I'd probably would have gone Nikon over Canon to be honest (my father still has Nikon lenses from the 80's).

I recently became interested in toy photography. I still have a long way to go but to get me started I bought the Nikkon D3100 w/ 18-55 lens and I love it.

I bought it off ebay for $600 and it came with a Kenko Pro1 filter, 32gig SD card and Lowepro bag.

I bought a tent box ages ago but I busted the globes so I replaced them with halogens but it is giving me the warm white look in my pics. Trying to find a decently priced cool white fluro wasn't easy but I have bought a couple from ebay that looked okay so hope they fit and give me what I want.

I am a complete noob to photography in general but I guess we all have to start somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I recently became interested in toy photography. I still have a long way to go but to get me started I bought the Nikkon D3100 w/ 18-55 lens and I love it.

I bought it off ebay for $600 and it came with a Kenko Pro1 filter, 32gig SD card and Lowepro bag.

I bought a tent box ages ago but I busted the globes so I replaced them with halogens but it is giving me the warm white look in my pics. Trying to find a decently priced cool white fluro wasn't easy but I have bought a couple from ebay that looked okay so hope they fit and give me what I want.

I am a complete noob to photography in general but I guess we all have to start somewhere
    Sounds like you picked yourself up quite a bargain at that price mate - well done!

The D3100 is a great DSLR for beginners, especially with the inbuilt tutorial/user guide in the menu, so it's a good camera to learn on.

I looked at getting one myself but liked the feel of the Canons better, so I went that way instead.

With more experimenting and practice with the various settings, hopefully we'll see some more contributions from you in the pic threads.

I got the D3100 because all the reviews I read said it was perfect as an entry level camera. I didn't want to pay big money for something that I may not have liked.

I already have some pictures that I posted on he-man.org. I think I will post them in the photography thread as well

I got the D3100 because all the reviews I read said it was perfect as an entry level camera. I didn't want to pay big money for something that I may not have liked.

I already have some pictures that I posted on he-man.org. I think I will post them in the photography thread as well
    Likewise why I seriously considered it too - I had no experience using a DSLR up until a few months ago and quite frankly was daunted by all the different settings, so I wanted the easiest one.

Friends of mine that are into photography recommended that I pay a few dollars more and get the Canon 550D instead (even though it was not as 'user friendly' to begin with as the Nikon).

After fiddling with both of them, I preferred the feel of the Canon over the Nikon, hence the reason I went that way.

Since then, I've just been playing and experimenting (and learning) as I went along - you just have to keep pushing it to see what the limits are and what settings work best for different scenarios.

I decided to cut and copy your other post and reply to it here since it's more related to a discussion on photography:

I have been trying out taking photos with my new camera, working on lighting and what not. I'm a bit frustrated because I just can't get my photos looking good like other people's.
    What setting are you taking the pics in?

Have you learnt how to use the various other modes yet (like aperture or shutter priority)?

How about adjusting your focal point?