Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blu-ray

Default Blu-ray

With the release of transformers prime coming up and inspired from this thread are blu-ray discs region coded?

Also it seems that Ps3 are region free but are blu-ray players?

I wrote this in the other thread but I might as well say it here too.
    PS3 isn't region free, American DVDs don't play on the PS3 (I've tried and it won't play, displays a message about it being incorrect region) but I have no idea about bluray.

Double posting, but I quick google search provided some info. It seems some blurays are region coded and some are region free.

Sources:
    http://www.sanity.com.au/help/DVD
    http://regionfreemovies.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jena View Post
    I wrote this in the other thread but I might as well say it here too.
    PS3 isn't region free, American DVDs don't play on the PS3 (I've tried and it won't play, displays a message about it being incorrect region) but I have no idea about bluray.
    That's correct, the PS3 bluray is not region free. It is locked on the region where you bought it from.

I actually have a little PC that I built as a media unit and for console emulation (N64, Wii, SNES, Arcade, etc) and Bluray playback. The advantage of a PC bluray is that you can change the region to whatever you wish but the catch is that you can only do it 4 times before it gets locked permanently.

I am thinking to make it US for blurays so that I can buy movies from Amazon etc but overall, JB Hifi seems to have competent enough pricing to make Blueray importing rather redundant.

PS3 is region free for games only. What everyone else said about movies is true though, movies are locked. Kinda sucks but oh well...

Blu-Ray discs may been region coded but you can unlock some Blu-Ray players with a simple code. PS3 won't play region specific movies unfortunately. What will you be watching the Blu-Rays on? PS3 or standalone Blu-Ray player?

SGB is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Not all blu-ray discs are region-coded. Warner Bros don't region code any of their releases, for example.

Other studios used to enforce region coding early on but most appear to have toned down on that nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    The advantage of a PC bluray is that you can change the region to whatever you wish but the catch is that you can only do it 4 times before it gets locked permanently.
    That limitation is very easily bypassable.

Blu-Ray discs may been region coded but you can unlock some Blu-Ray players with a simple code.
    Only a few players can be unlocked via remote control. Kogan and Soniq are the only companies I know of that sell such units, though not all Soniq models are region changeable.

*Pets my region changeable Soniq unit*

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Only a few players can be unlocked via remote control. Kogan and Soniq are the only companies I know of that sell such units, though not all Soniq models are region changeable.
    Most Samsung and Dick Smith models can be unlocked via code as well. I usually search the net before buying a DVD/BR player, to check the model i intend to buy is region unlockable. You used to be able to get the code from the retailer you bought it from (Harvey Norman, Dick Smith), as that is how i got a code a few years ago.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

^ Has comprehensive blu-ray region lists, not Prime yet though.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Apparently Shout Factory are one of the rarities that DO region-code their Blu-Rays.

Sigh.