Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ebay "second chance" scam

None of the non-payers bids should be valid, not just the non-payers last (and highest) one.
    I would like to see ebay wipe all bids from a non-payer and whatever bids are left over should determine the result... we probably wouldn't see as many "second chance offers" but more re-listings
    That would be the proper thing to do anyway

had one a few weeks ago from a seller in the u.s, i was bidding on omega sentinel in the box. price on others was $250.00+, found one up for bids and was winning to for $130.00 and then like you said griff on the last day jumped to $260.00. two days later got a second chance offer from seller claiming the bidder was a non payer and wanted to know if wanted it for that price. so i rejected it. and found one a week later loose for $100.00.

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crankcase76 View Post
    had one a few weeks ago from a seller in the u.s, i was bidding on omega sentinel in the box. price on others was $250.00+, found one up for bids and was winning to for $130.00 and then like you said griff on the last day jumped to $260.00. two days later got a second chance offer from seller claiming the bidder was a non payer and wanted to know if wanted it for that price. so i rejected it. and found one a week later loose for $100.00.
    Just for curiosity's sake, sis you counter offer with your $130?

Anyone had any dealings with Paranooid?? Ive justt had a couple of second chance offers that feel a bit ... dodgy.

Quote Originally Posted by Geigerrock-2 View Post
    Anyone had any dealings with Paranooid?? Ive justt had a couple of second chance offers that feel a bit ... dodgy.
    See what the writer did here? http://tfsource.com/blog/am-i-just-being-paranoid

PM me if you want further info.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcruncher View Post

I'll leave them. In an honest world i shoulda got these items for 99c or 5 bucks.
    (so it's not ebays fault! It's just the #$%^s that inhabit it , kinda like Maylands)

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcruncher View Post

Great article. I have had plenty of scam second chance offers, I just laugh and delete. Wankers

I dont have a lot of experiences receiving SCO but I have given them out before so lets go with that.

If you send out a second chance offer there is no option to change the price. It is automatically the second highest bid. My assumption is because there is no way for you to know that a third person didnt get bidded out. A lot of buyers will bid in the last seconds to avoid being outbid..we all know this.. and most of you will have been beaten out then.. but several people will try this on a lot of auctions and only the higest bid registers..teh rest all say they didnt bid enough try again. So in fact.. this non paying bidder may have meant you wouldnt have paid as much but the other potential bidders could have bid that much as well.. if that makes sense to anyone?

I will send out second chance offers for two reasons. The most obvious is when someone doesnt pay or doesnt meet requirements.. that is the most painful and the second chance is offered under the assumption that if it were relisted it would achieve a comparable price and this is simply giving you the buyer first dibs of an item you felt was worth that price. Personally I have never considered it from the buyers point of view as being an unfair price.. I guess because if they dont want it the just dont accept and I either go to the next person if it was a price I am satisfied with or relist.

The other option is the one its not intended for but I find just as fair. If I have 2 or more of the item I will offer the second to the second chance if im happy with the price it would sell for. Why wait another week for a sale when you have a potentially willing buyer waitign right there? I will always give an explanation of why I am offering and if they buyer doesnt want, thats the end of it.

I guess at the end of the day it can be a very useful tool but it is up to the buyer. If you have any concerns with the sellers honesty I would strongly recommend not dealing with them again.. but plenty of people will use this tool to everyones advantage and I would hate to think it will get a bad reputation altogether.

We buy, sell & trade toys, games, accessories and more!

Megatron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    I dont have a lot of experiences receiving SCO but I have given them out before so lets go with that.

If you send out a second chance offer there is no option to change the price. It is automatically the second highest bid. My assumption is because there is no way for you to know that a third person didnt get bidded out. A lot of buyers will bid in the last seconds to avoid being outbid..we all know this.. and most of you will have been beaten out then.. but several people will try this on a lot of auctions and only the higest bid registers..teh rest all say they didnt bid enough try again. So in fact.. this non paying bidder may have meant you wouldnt have paid as much but the other potential bidders could have bid that much as well.. if that makes sense to anyone?

I will send out second chance offers for two reasons. The most obvious is when someone doesnt pay or doesnt meet requirements.. that is the most painful and the second chance is offered under the assumption that if it were relisted it would achieve a comparable price and this is simply giving you the buyer first dibs of an item you felt was worth that price. Personally I have never considered it from the buyers point of view as being an unfair price.. I guess because if they dont want it the just dont accept and I either go to the next person if it was a price I am satisfied with or relist.

The other option is the one its not intended for but I find just as fair. If I have 2 or more of the item I will offer the second to the second chance if im happy with the price it would sell for. Why wait another week for a sale when you have a potentially willing buyer waitign right there? I will always give an explanation of why I am offering and if they buyer doesnt want, thats the end of it.

I guess at the end of the day it can be a very useful tool but it is up to the buyer. If you have any concerns with the sellers honesty I would strongly recommend not dealing with them again.. but plenty of people will use this tool to everyones advantage and I would hate to think it will get a bad reputation altogether.
    I got my SG Megatron thanks to a second chance offer.

So it sounds like it's a flaw in the ebay system, using the highest bid amount of the second person, instead of the price they would have won it at without the shill bidder or deadbeat bidding.... and dodgy sellers are taking advantage of it.
    As much as sellers would like to claim, "this is the amount you were willing to pay", the whole point of an auction (instead of a sale) to buyers, is to hope to save money by getting as much under your maximum as possible. It's the gamble sellers take by listing an auction instead of a buy-it-now... they are hoping to make more money from the item if it is seen by enough people who want to fight over it. But if the item isn't seen by enough people who would want it, dodgy sellers are then going to shill-bid (through a second account, or from a friend they would never report), just to get the most money possible from the one person who did bid on it.