Thread: Comics - Digital & Printed

Default Comics - Digital & Printed

I came across an interesting article on a blogsite, which made me realise something that I didn't even think about before.
    As convenient and space-saving as they are (and can offer higher detailing with the artwork), Digital comics have no resale value when you no longer have any interest in keeping them (or need to sell them off). Even if a number of comic issues in your possession were over-printed or deemed "worthless", you'd still be able to get back some money on a printed comic collection (later, when you want, or need, to offload them).

This isn't a criticism of Digital Comics, as I've already mentioned their benefits.... but "investment" reasons aside (for buying certain issues, only to resell later for profit), I really hope that comic companies don't eventually end up going Digital, just because it will be a lot more profitable than printed issues (which have a set, smaller profit margin, and unsold issues cost them money). Because when the I buy comics, not just Transformers, I eventually lose interest in them or need to thin out a collection... and the printed versions give me a little money back to invest into more comics.

As for the article I found, it actually compares the value increase of a particular comic in 12 months, to the value change of Gold, US Shares, and US Inflation in that same time. But to be fair, he's only comparing a single comic issue to the entire Dow Jones Stock Market. An objective comparison would be the average comic value change of several hundred comics with the entire Dow Jones. Otherwise, you could find a single Stock that improved more than that single comic issue, and at least disprove that portion of his argument (because most comic issues depreciate in the short term).

It was still a fascinating article.

even if you dont get back your money, you can always pass on the comic to someone else that way they can enjoy it too.
    I have passed on a few of my lesser spiderman comics on because i knew that the person getting it in the end would enjoy it more than me.

I honestly dont think comics will ever go solely digital but if they do, I would probably stop collecting as there is nothing like sitting back and reading a good comic.

Interesting article but as you stated Griffin would of been better with at least a couple more comics for better comparison.

For myself, the relative "primitive-ness" of the printed medium gives me a sense of joy that I do not feel when reading digital versions.

The ability to take different comic issues and flip to certain pages so I can study and savour the artwork is something I never grow tired of.

90% or more of my digital comics cost were either free or cost me about $0.75-0.80 each. At that price a lack of resale value is not an issue to me, and I get to read, legally, comics I'm interested in without shelf space being needed and no big investment if I don't like it. The comics back issues market is prety dead anyway these days (with digital and the Trade format). I'm selling my surplus physical copies at about $0.25 each in the hope of getting anything at all.

Decepticon Guest

I prefer digital comics as they are cheaper and can get them at the touch of a button. Comic shops never have what you want. I love the vibrant colours that I get from the digital (iPad) versions.

Pretty sure I've mentioned it several times before but I'm an old-school print person. The look, feel, and even the smell of an old comic trumps digital every time.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

i prefer traditional comics but i also do buy alot of the digital ones (not just Transformers).. i hope IDW hurry up and do the free digital with purchase like marvel/DC are doing it would be a better way for me to have my comics on hand when im on the train/travel etc..
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Pretty sure I've mentioned it several times before but I'm an old-school print person. The look, feel, and even the smell of an old comic trumps digital every time.
    THIS!! times alot, I loooooove the smell of an old comic!! also being able to just sit on a beanbag and read a few comics without any distractions is one of the most peaceful things ever!!

i'm reading Autocracy and I've got a few other digital comics that I've bought on sale or have been free.

I love the feel of a paper Comic or novel. I always take a short stack with me on a holiday specifically so I can sit somewhere comfortable for an hour here and there and immerse myself in a good story. As practical as digital comics are it just doesn't feel the same.

Investment/resale value has never been a consideration as I collect comics like I collect Transformers, with very little intention of ever reselling.

an extension of this argument ie, feel and smell of a paper comic over eComic might be reflected in the CD Vs LP argument that still rallies, though LP has had a resurgence of late, it is pretty much dead. and for all you "yungins" who don't know what I'm talking about LP=Vinyl Record.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)