Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trading Card Discussion Thread

Default Trading Card Discussion Thread

Chatting to Hursty over the last week about the Glory days of Collecting Trading Cards Through the 90's got me wondering who else out there collected.

so here is a thread to find out all your deep dark secrets

Do you still collect
    Whats your Favorite set
    your best memory
    your Biggest Hit out of a pack

or anything else related to the thin cardboard with pretty pictures

i still collect mostly NRL and the odd Movie or TV show series all depends on my mood really
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

I started out collecting the basketball cards in the early 90's but quickly sold them and moved on to Marvel trading cards. Haven't bought any since they fizzled out in the late 90's still have them all in storage and actually found a shoe box full of doubles that I need to rid off. 94 fleer spiderman was my favourite of all, and I'm still missing some Walmart exclusive cards that I need to track down one day.

Default The Great Skeleton Warriors Unboxing

What: Skeleton Warriors "Bad to the Bone"
    Who: Fleer Ultra
    When: 1995
    Base Set: 100 Cards
    Inserts: 3 subsets - 5 Luma Bone, 10 Suspended Animation, 9 Powerblast

As i mentioned previously i have been chatting to Hursty over Twitter about the 90's Traading card Phenom and it coincided with the Skeleton Warriors Kickstarter Project and i came across an auction on ebay what ended up being two boxes of Fleer Ultra Skeleton Warriors

it was cheap so i grabbed one (then Two)

these are Retal boxes consistingof 100 Packs of cards and 6 cards per pack

easy to get a set you would think

NO

after busting open the first inital box i ended up getting a complete set of Power Blast, 2 Sets of Luma Bone and 1.7 sets of Suspended animation

BUT i was 13 cards short of a common set..

this was the motivation behind the second box...

Surley i would complete my set and end up with a second set

NO

i did get another set of Powerblast another 2 sets of Luma Bone and 1.7 Sets of Suspended animation

the odds on the pacls were spot on

but i am still 3 cards short of a Base Set and almost 30 of a second

So at the end of this adventure i ended up with
    97/100 Base Cards
    2 Sets of Powerblast
    4 Sets of Luma Bone
    3 Sets of Suspended animated and 4 extras
    over 1000 Doubles..

over all if was fun breaking the box but i wouldnt recomend the Retail Boxes unless you were after inserts only, Plenty for sale on ebay

now i need to track down three cards and i am Sure Hursty will tolk some more about Skeleton Warriors
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by twincobra View Post
    I started out collecting the basketball cards in the early 90's but quickly sold them and moved on to Marvel trading cards. Haven't bought any since they fizzled out in the late 90's still have them all in storage and actually found a shoe box full of doubles that I need to rid off. 94 fleer spiderman was my favourite of all, and I'm still missing some Walmart exclusive cards that I need to track down one day.
    Ahh that was one of my Favorite sets the 9 cards joined to make a battle scene the suspended animation cards, i thought they were the best looking cards back then and the holograms! and awesome set
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    Ahh that was one of my Favorite sets the 9 cards joined to make a battle scene the suspended animation cards, i thought they were the best looking cards back then and the holograms! and awesome set
    I found out many years later the suspended animation set was also done in gold ( coloured in, called golden webs ) but exclusive to Wal-Mart, I can't believe you didn't get a full set from those two boxes!

Do you still collect?

No

Whats your Favorite set

My X-men Cards, the artwork was NIIIIIICE

your best worst memory?
    collecting cards lol. Money not well spent. They just stay in their card folders hidden somewhere.

your Biggest Hit out of a pack?
    Crazy rare magic cards

What cards do I still have?
    Magic cards
    Pokemon cards
    X-men/marvel cards
    tazos and the other thing similar to tazos that have special glowly editions.
    dbz coin thingos (from chips)
    simpson 3d thingos that came with chips
    oddbodz
    pogs

I still have them all lol. I wonder how much they are worth and if there are people that still collect them

Quote Originally Posted by twincobra View Post
    I found out many years later the suspended animation set was also done in gold ( coloured in, called golden webs ) but exclusive to Wal-Mart, I can't believe you didn't get a full set from those two boxes!
    i have a couple of the Golden Webs they are a nice looking card

The fact i didnt get a full set of Base annoys me a little these common cards have ended up harder to get then the inserts.. and from one box i got a full set of inserts

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi594 View Post
    I still have them all lol. I wonder how much they are worth and if there are people that still collect them
    I know i still collect the marvel stuff

My Best Hit

well one of them really as i have had a few good hits over the years
    i was in a newsagent and the 2006-07 A League from select had just come out so i picked up a pack to see if i wanted to get the release and BAM inside was the Mark Viduka Signature Redemption
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

During the 80's I had (IIRC) -

Michael Jackson
    Star Wars Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars Return of the Jedi
    Batman the Movie

In the mid-90's, a mate of mine owned a card shop in Castle Mall where I spent a lot of my time and money. A good deal of my Franklins salary lined his pockets. I was right into NFL collector cards and would buy cases, not packs, at a time to increase the odds of finding chase cards. Unlike the cards I collected in the 80's, I have all of my football cards stored away safely in numerous folders.

Question for those that collect today - do they still pack in that hard-as-a-rock pink chewing gum strip covered in powder? I made myself quite sick back in the day eating those.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    During the 80's I had (IIRC) -

Michael Jackson
    Star Wars Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars Return of the Jedi
    Batman the Movie

In the mid-90's, a mate of mine owned a card shop in Castle Mall where I spent a lot of my time and money. A good deal of my Franklins salary lined his pockets. I was right into NFL collector cards and would buy cases, not packs, at a time to increase the odds of finding chase cards. Unlike the cards I collected in the 80's, I have all of my football cards stored away safely in numerous folders.

Question for those that collect today - do they still pack in that hard-as-a-rock pink chewing gum strip covered in powder? I made myself quite sick back in the day eating those.

ohh you would love some of the NFL product on the market today BIG Dollars and some awesome looking cards

the bubblegum has generally stopped being included unless a company does a retro style product i thing WWE did a Bubblegum throwback series recently with the old style cards and the bubblegum sticks

the trouble with todays card releases is if you want the set you need more then one box of cards to complete them with parallel holographic foil sets and 40 inserts autographs and sketch cards make it hard to casually collect, or you hit ebay hard tracking them down
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

ohh you would love some of the NFL product on the market today BIG Dollars and some awesome looking cards
    I'd love to get back into NFL trading cards and have eyed them off more than a few times at past Parra Fairs, but I can't justify (to the wife of course) starting it back up. I'm cool with that though because one of my main aims of collecting was to get every card from every series of my favourite player. Ending up with complete series of Topps, Upper Deck, Fleer etc. was just an added, and welcomed, 'side effect' He retired from the game in 1999 so there's nothing really left to hunt down.

the bubblegum has generally stopped being included unless a company does a retro style product i thing WWE did a Bubblegum throwback series recently with the old style cards and the bubblegum sticks
    I'm sure there are a lot of happy parents (less broken teeth) and a lot of unhappy dentists (lost income) with that decision
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]