View Poll Results: Which is your most dominant language other than English?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chinese

21 27.27%
  • Greek

3 3.90%
  • Hungarian

0 0%
  • Italian

5 6.49%
  • Japanese

5 6.49%
  • Maltese

1 1.30%
  • Spanish

4 5.19%
  • Tagalog

7 9.09%
  • Other

19 24.68%
  • I like machine language (none)

12 15.58%
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: What language (other than English) do you speak?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    French is a Romance language, so I'm sure that "pain" would be derived from Latin "panis." The Japanese word for bread comes from Spanish, which is "pan" (written as パン in JP). I think this is where English got the word pantry from (again using the word "bread" as a reference to common provisions and not only bread).
    The wiki article for Latin states that the Romance languages are descended from Latin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin

Additionally, I think most European languages are descended from a proto-Indo-European language (this is why Sanskrit has many similarities / parallels to Latin).

If you're interested in the history of languages, check this book out: http://www.amazon.com/Speak-History-.../dp/0199263418

Here's a funny video about language learning (or "unlearning" as the case may be ).

Here's another funny one; "Do You Speak English?"

Enjoy!

Italian, mainly, though I've been trying to learn Scots Gaelic recently due to a fascination with my cultural background.

Okay, I've been dabbling in Latin this week and I'd like to check to see if my translations are right...

"Optimus in terra mutatit." <-- I'm trying to say 'Optimus is transforming on Earth.'
    "Mile in Pandora pugnit." <-- 'The soldier is fighting on Pandora.'

What is the plural for "mile"?

Also, what would be a better sounding translation for "Cybertron"? The fanboy in me wants to call it "Cybertronia" (after "Pax Cybertronia"), but I think "Cybertronium" might be more correct considering that the Romans called London "Londonium." But Cybertronium sounds too similar to "Cybertonium" -- and yeah, I dunno... "Cybertronia" just sounds cooler to me. Would "Cybertronia" be an plausible translation? (or would it be better to just call it "Cybertron"?)

Also... um... how do you say "transform to" something? Like maybe, "Waspinator transforms into a wasp"? -- 'Waspinator ??? vespa ??? mutatit ???'

Besides English I’d say I’m most fluent in Japanese but that is being very generous,
    I studied Italian in primary school, but I don’t remember any of it
    I somehow picked up some Spanish when I was younger but don’t remember anything from that either
    And I studied Japanese for a few years in high school but I didn’t study hard enough so I don’t know as much as I should know
    Just started a new Japanese course though so hopefully soon I can actually speak, read and write the language fully
    Hey Goktimus, how would I say "I am horrible at Japanese" in Japanese? ooh and also "Help I can't understand what I am saying!"

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm
    Hey Goktimus, how would I say "I am horrible at Japanese" in Japanese?
    You can say either:
    「私の日本語は下手です。」 = "My Japanese is hopeless."
    Watashi no nihongo wa heta desu
    or
    「私の日本語は下手くそです。」 = "My Japanese is sh*t hopeless."
    Watashi no nihongo wa hetakuso desu

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm
    ooh and also "Help I can't understand what I am saying!"
    「自分の話が分からないので、誰が手伝ってくれませんか。」
    jibun no nihongo ga wakaranai node, darega tetsudattekuremasenka

------
    More questions about Latin - would these translations be correct?
    + Mutato = I am transforming
    + Mutatis = You are transforming
    + Mutatit = S/he is transforming
    + Mutatant = They are transforming

Salva mea!

Okay, I've been dabbling in Latin this week and I'd like to check to see if my translations are right...

"Optimus in terra mutatit." <-- I'm trying to say 'Optimus is transforming on Earth.'
    "Mile in Pandora pugnit." <-- 'The soldier is fighting on Pandora.'

What is the plural for "mile"?
    Looks good to me. If it were more than one soldier it would be "Milites in Pandora pugnant."

Also, what would be a better sounding translation for "Cybertron"? The fanboy in me wants to call it "Cybertronia" (after "Pax Cybertronia"), but I think "Cybertronium" might be more correct considering that the Romans called London "Londonium." But Cybertronium sounds too similar to "Cybertonium" -- and yeah, I dunno... "Cybertronia" just sounds cooler to me. Would "Cybertronia" be an plausible translation? (or would it be better to just call it "Cybertron"?)
    "Cybertronium" would make sense - it could be a second declension neuter noun. "Cybertronia" would also be fine if it's a first declension feminine planet, kind of like "Gaia".

Also... um... how do you say "transform to" something? Like maybe, "Waspinator transforms into a wasp"? -- 'Waspinator ??? vespa ??? mutatit ???'
    Off the top of my head, probably "Waspinator in vespam mutat."

Trying to translate some stuff into Latin here, and there are some parts where I think I've made some mistakes and would like someone to check for me.

1. I've translated "AllSpark" as "totus candeo", which literally means "all forge". Is this correct? Is there are better way to say this?

2. I've translated "our toys" as "crepundia nostrum," but I think I've used the incorrect declension. Should I be using the accusative form "crepundium nostrum"?

3. So to say "the toys we want," I've translated it as "Crepundia nostrum penuriam" <---using the accusative for "penuria" (need).

4. I've translated "toys we want" as "crepundia nos volo"

5. "succuro alius quisnam peto suum crepundia" <--- "help others who seek their toys"

6. "nobis quisnam contraho crepundia" <--- "for us who collect toys"

I really feel like I should be using the accusative form for 'toys' (crepundium) 2, 3 and 4. I cannot post the entire text here as it would be in contravention of board rules, but if anyone would like to view it and see how it all fits in and help me proof-read, then please LMK and I'll send you a copy via PM. This isn't an attempt to start a religious discussion even in PM, I just need someone to help me correct my Latin grammar. Thanks.

I read that as 10 Tips and Tricks to pick up in any language.
    Ooops.