Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ozformer Awards results

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Seriously... time to get over all this hatred and appreciate the fact his movies have kept the franchise going for better or for worse.
    It was the sixth most popular "Best Global news", but overwhelmingly comments about DOTM (both toys and the movie) were negative. Them's the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

Seriously...
    yes seriously! i for one, don't give a fat rats crack about the franchise

hey Paul! good stuff mate! i especially like the inclusion of all other inconclusive information. your time and effort has made for an interesting read. thanks

Thanks to Paul for all the effort!

And Congrats to Hursty! Well deserved Mate! Mainly because you read my fiction (that got a mention in a very small font!)

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Default Here's a Wall 'o' Text, for Old-School times...

Wow, some rather interesting revelations out of this year's survey: Of which a big thanks goes out to you Paulbot for putting this together.

With the all time favourites section, it's not too surprising to see a heavy G1 presence but I was taken back to see MP Grimlock make it into equal 1st place with G1 Prime for the Favourite Heroic Toy category nor BW Megatron on equal standing with G1 Starscream for Favourite Evil Transformer Character.
    (Glad to see G1 Soundwave & BW Dinobot still up there mind you. )

The DOTM Movie section was rather curious too; Soundwave getting Favourite Decepticon - Laserbeak didn't even make the top 3! , very glad to see Dutch got his well earnt recognition though as he was an utterly funny German addition to the franchise , and the Highway Chase seems to of been really popular even with it copping quite a bit of flack from certain sections of the community at large for having 'borrowed' film for a small portion of it.

Unfortunately, I think with regards to the DOTM Toys we were generally left with a bad taste; with poor local distribution, absorbedent prices and clearly evident 'smaller in mass' toys with vacant paint apps on many - I think many people really fought to find positives in the line as although there were a couple of stand outs in each class of figure, as a whole it was quite a bit of a let down.
    Guzzle only just edging out Hatchet in the Commander Class speaks volumes about that character but just as much for the runner up, Skyhammer in the Voyager Class I thought to be quite rare so I was taken back by him winning as I thought Poncho-Megatron would've had it for sure! , but what I'm really surprised by is that Sentinel Prime only came 3rd in the Leader Class category and that the highly expensive import figure; Jetwing Optimus Prime came away with the win - I think that this shows that the right retooling can certainly overcome price when it comes to popularity.

Being that for a lot of collectors the Other TF Toy-lines were where the most attention was focused, 2011 was really a great year to be a collector as we were very much spoilt with what was offered.
    The Classicsverse figures were obscenely high in quality and quantity, despite early distribution fears; Legends Class Megatron is an excellent piece of engineering for such a tiny and often frowned upon Alt mode based figure and I'm glad to see him receive what he earnt, which IMO can't be said for the winner of the Deluxe category as I think that there are far more deserving figures in that department but I was honestly biased before that figure had even come out so, moving on...

Glory be to he who is Lugnut!
    I am very happy that this figure has been recognised for the excellent toy that he is; making the jump from Animated into the Classicsverse, with a somewhat odd retcon into Japanese 2005 G1 continuity , the mold hits all the right notes and aesthetics along with welcomed, but not necessarily necessary, fan-nods such as his call-signs and Punch-of-Kill-Everything gimmick - Add a superbly executed Photo-Comic series: "Right in The Lugnuts!" and it just goes to show how much this character has resonated with fans, both Pro & Against TF: Animated.

Kreo also deserves a notable mention, even though I've only managed to acquire Sideswipe , as it has been far and away better accepted than what we all initially thought ; Hasbro really hit the nail on the head by aiming this line to be a Lego-esque series of toys and not "Transforming Block" sets such as the ill-fated Built-To-Rule line, I honestly didn't think Optimus Prime's large set would receive top honours but the fact that Kreon Soundwave is the most popular saddens me a little and it is purely because I don't own him!

Fiction-wise, weren't we treated?
    IDW announced another Reboot, fans were given a taste test of what could've been (& what could be ) with The Stunti-Con Job and Hasbro delivers it's 1st cartoon on it's brand-spanking new TV Station in Transformers: Prime.
    TF: Prime has proven itself to have a lot of potential and it's story, whilst initially finding itself in a world of confusion due to Hasbro's marketing department, has shown that it wasn't afraid to tackle some lofty subjects and what was most surprising is how character driven the show has turned out to be; this is entirely evident in both TF:P's Arcee & Starscream who have both won the favourite character status of their respective factions, it also helps that they've both been the 2 characters to receive the most 'air-time' and quite rightly so as they are incredibly excellent interpretations of 2 very old characters - As you can probably tell I'm a bit of a fan.

The Fandom certainly has gone through a transition period too, with the end of so many different facets of the franchise to the beginning of many new.
    I agree with the news of MP Rodimus' local release as the Best Aussie news as it was also at an extremely good/fair price point compared to the rest of the world but this was countered by what was really depressing news in that, likely due to the overwhelming amounts of shelf-warming DOTM figures, Australia was likely to miss out on the 1st Edition TF: Prime figures and I was certainly one of those who have felt gutted by this revelation as the situation has not improved at all since.

Clearly, there are a lot of people who are simply over the movie machine as it currently stands, whether this is a result of the situation with regards to local toy distribution or whether it's a Michael Bay hangover, it has to be said that the movies have certainly done the fans and the franchise a lot of good as over the past 5 years we've seen some of the best Transformers Toys ever see the light of day and the consciousness/awareness of the brand has never been wider in the public eye - $2,669,760,469 (USD) in gross earnings to date worldwide speaks immensely of how popular the franchise now is.

We also saw the emergence of many new companies in the 3rd party market, bringing some absolute gems and some absolutely worthless scrap.
    Some massive strides have been made in an effort into what HasTak could honestly never deliver in the contemporary climate, which has lead to such stunning efforts as FansProject's Insecticons and PerfectEffect's Scouting Force X (Reflector) of which the former has very much earnt the no.1 spot the later is just as worthy but neither of these trios were as massive in ambition and physical stature as TFC Toy's Hercules (Devastator).
    Many quite rightfully thought that a complete set of these figures would never see the light of day as their price was for many out of reach and others simply swore against 3rd Party figures in general, having this past week see the release of the final 2 figures in this 6 piece collection has set and demonstrated a new precedent in 3rd Party Transforming Robot products; If it's done right and fills a much desired gap in a collection: anything is possible, the success of TFC's Hercules could very likely mean that we will see further Classicsverse styled combiners see production and for fans that really want to see their favourite Combiner join the ranks of Bruticus, Devastator and Superion -they very well might get their wish.

Creatively, we've seen some amazing local and foreign fan-fics and customs; Robot_Art's Bruticus, of which he made 2! , was simply amazing and even more amazing was the fact that when the 1st went to auction our very own member by the same name won the stunning thing.
    So congratulations to Robot_Art for that achievement, a shame a similar consensus wasn't able to be reached with regards to the fan-fics; I can highly recommend our own Verno's Spotlight-style efforts with the vastly unexplored narrative regions of the Pre-Beast Wars era, he's still working on it but if you've not read any of it yet you certainly owe it to yourself to give it a perusing.

I'm quite intrigued by the no.1 spot of the Best Toy Dealer/Online Store, as I thought that a bit of negative sentiment had been expressed by a number of members due to mis-packed orders and a noticeable increase in orders coming from BBTS; clearly RobotKingdom has some loyal customers or has picked up it's game, it'll be interesting to see if they can earn this accolade for 2012.

I would like to congratulate PrimulArchangel for his winning of the Favourite 15th Anniversary Banner category; it was an excellent method of getting members involved in celebrating the 15th Anniversary of OTCA and there were some absolutely stunning submissions made that incorporated many different styles and tastes, Primul was up against some crazy competition especially from those such as Skywarp91 - Having only been a member of this side of the fandom for mere days before posting your Banners, you've won the appreciation and respect from many members here Primul, good on you mate.

I'm not quite sure what one does to earn Member of The Year, but I thank all those who thought that of me for the sentiment; I really enjoy being apart of this community and I appreciate all those who have welcomed me and put up with me over my soon to be 3 years of membership, I just hope that I'm setting a good example and contributing positively in a more qualitative fashion than quantitative.

The biggest thanks really has to go to Griffin; for without his blood, sweat and tears (Not to mention the 100% funding of this site) we wouldn't have this place to haunt and enjoy - The fact that OTCA is celebrating 15 Years+ of existence is a testament to your efforts for the Australian Transformers Community mate, be bloody proud of it.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Damn... I've been so busy, I totally forgot about it this year! Can't believe it - oh well.

Well done to the winners and Paulbot for all the hard work as usual. Sorry I totally missed it and didn't take part (my bad!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Favourite scene in DOTM
    Winner: Highway chase (21%)
    Runner ups: Optimus Prime flies in and takes out Decepticons (15%), Final showdown between Optimus Prime, Sentinel Prime and Megatron (9%)
    Not much surprise there: but I think it's indicative of Michael Bay's style where people's favourite scenes all revolve around explosions and action and stuff, rather than say... the plot (not surprising considering that DotM's plot is rather pedestrian at best).

It's quite different from say if people were asked "What's your favourite scene from 'The Empire Strikes Back'?" rather than action scenes like "Han shooting Vader" or "Luke fighting Darth Vader" or "Hoth Battle" (although that is a pretty epic battle scene ) -- at least for me, my favourite scenes from that movie are things like:
    + Han and Leia kissing after a heated argument in the Millenium Falcon's engine room
    + Leia: "I love you." Han: "I know."
    + "No, I am your father!"
    ...all emotional stuff about the characters whose journeys drive the story.

*sigh* Maybe they'll make another TF movie with a different director that will have a more substantial story/plot. (or maybe Seekers will fly out of my tailpipe )

"It's a shame the early waves are still clogging up shelf space. Maybe I don't want 50 new Deluxe Bumblebee's."
    Huzzah, recognition at last! Shame it had to be about Bumblebee.

"Like the smaller amount of united/generations figures, makes them feel more special. Also good to have real tf figures out during a movie year."
    I did 1000 lols.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

i want to suggest something for this year

ozformers best of
    - class size toys, like deluxe, voyager, leader which includes any toy in 2012 from either takara or hasbro. which should be interesting as this yeah the minicons are back for transformers prime.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiden View Post
    i want to suggest something for this year

ozformers best of
    - class size toys, like deluxe, voyager, leader which includes any toy in 2012 from either takara or hasbro. which should be interesting as this yeah the minicons are back for transformers prime.
    A top suggestion I reckon, perhaps we can have som preliminary voting for candidates with a final vote count of the top 3 to see who wins or something?