Page 135 of 154 FirstFirst ... 115125130131132133134135136137138139140145 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1535

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

At a loose end Saturday Night, my little family went to the second-to-last night of the Moonlight Cinema (which is held in a city park at night) and saw Mary Poppins Returns.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. Still a fan of the original, and there were a LOT of echoes of it in here, but they took it all in a fresh direction and it was well cast. Our 2 1/2 year old is a bit hard to stay focused at present (in the throes of the 'Terrible Twos') but it kept him entertained throughout which is saying something. The singing wasn't obnoxious and while Emily Blunt is no Julie Andrews, she still did a good job (and is pleasing to the eye )

Quote Originally Posted by Meister View Post
    Just watched “Alita Battle Angel”.

In one word: Spectacular

Recommend to anyone interested to make the effort to watch it at the cinema, definitely a big screen movie.
    Also watched Alita on the weekend and I have to say that Rosa Salazar is the new Summer Glau. A delightful well-cast actress. Her gusto is infectious.

Also saw Overlord for the first time and I guess no one can complain about Wolfenstein not being made into a movie after seeing this brilliant horror.

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    Also watched Alita on the weekend and I have to say that Rosa Salazar is the new Summer Glau. A delightful well-cast actress. Her gusto is infectious.

Also saw Overlord for the first time and I guess no one can complain about Wolfenstein not being made into a movie after seeing this brilliant horror.
    I saw Overlord a few weeks back. Yep, as close to Wolfenstein in a movie as we'll likely get. It was great.

I haven't seen Alita yet but I'm surprised that people are liking it so much considering that, according to trailers and confirmed by people I've spoken to who've seen the film, it crams the first four acts of the manga together. That's a lot of story in just one film!

Makes Peter Jackson look additionally bad for dragging out The Hobbit into a freakin' trilogy (although I suspect that that was a studio decision to try and make more money, guh)

P.S.: I rented Venom yesterday for $2 (thank you, tight sparse Tuesdays) and finally got to see the movie again but this time uninterrupted by idiotic talkers in the cinema or having to leave the movie to complain to cinema staff and miss out on a major part of the story. It was more enjoyable this time around but still a pretty meh movie made with a stellar cast. I can't help but feel that it would've been more enjoyable (or at least more justifiable for me to purchase) if they'd tied it in with the MCU or at the very least Spider-Man. There was one Spider-Man reference that I hadn't noticed before and that was that one of the astronauts who brought the symbiotes to Earth was named Jameson; although of course the film never establishes if he's any relation to the Daily Bugle's James Jonah Jameson (ahh, comic books and their love for alliterated names ).

P.P.S.: My fear of stupid audience members is something that's honestly making me think twice about watching Alita Battle Angel in cinemas. On one hand, I'd love to see it on the big screen, but on the other hand I don't know if I want to go through the trauma of enduring morons who are too idiotic to STHU in a theatre.

FYI - J Jonah Jameson has a son named John Jameson who is an astronaut (and occasionally a werewolf at night) so that was an established character and made me think we were going to get quite a bit more Spidey-canon than we actually did.

Oh and of course he’s already been in films, he was MJ’s fiancé in Spider-Man 2 - almost forgot

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    I agree she did a good job portraying Alita, I think some other actors deserved a bit more screen time then they received but overall I thought all performances were pretty good.

I’m really hoping this doesn’t bomb and word catches on that it’s definitely worth the effort to see on the big screen, I think it really is a good example of live action Anime done right.
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I haven't seen Alita yet but I'm surprised that people are liking it so much considering that, according to trailers and confirmed by people I've spoken to who've seen the film, it crams the first four acts of the manga together. That's a lot of story in just one film!

Makes Peter Jackson look additionally bad for dragging out The Hobbit into a freakin' trilogy (although I suspect that that was a studio decision to try and make more money, guh)

P.P.S.: My fear of stupid audience members is something that's honestly making me think twice about watching Alita Battle Angel in cinemas. On one hand, I'd love to see it on the big screen, but on the other hand I don't know if I want to go through the trauma of enduring morons who are too idiotic to STHU in a theatre.
    I’d say it’s primarily a mix of the first two acts with only elements of later acts integrated into it. It’s not an exact rendition of the manga, it has it’s own little creative elements to the storyline, but it’s pretty close and done well. All in all I’d say it’s a good live adaptation of the source material. Obviously something along the lines of a Netflix series would be perfect to convey the proper story but no one would have the budget to place those live action visual effects in a tv series (well maybe HBO).

And on those visual effects, man are they glorious, personally I would have preferred a more darker tone, but hey, it’s marketed to a PG audience, although i must admit it does have an abundance of violence, and surprisingly still retains some darker aspects of the manga, with clever camera work doing its best to censor them.

All I can say is if your a fan, you should definitely make the effort, and to those who know nothing of the Anime, I doubt you would be dissapointed with it, it’s definitely an action packed popcorn flick with great visuals and action sequences, worth a go for any fan of sci-fi / action / comic book films

As for annoying cinema patrons, I got pretty sick of it too, that’s why I have come to watch most flicks on late night weekday sessions. The local cinema complex is not that far from me and after I get the kids to bed and do the usual school night prep stuff, I’ll click on the cinema app and see how many seats have been bought for the last session, usually the second or third week in, on some particular week nights they are pretty empty and on some lucky nights I have even gotten the whole cinema to myself. If you’re a late night bloomer, probably worth a look into, you may have the same luck at your local cinema.
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.

I also watched “Glass” the other day, not a bad flick. Best to watch Unbreakable and Split beforehand, it is meant to be the third installment in a trilogy.

I wouldn’t call it Shyamalan’s best, although he’s sort of put himself in a corner from his previous work which I doubt he will ever be able to remove himself from. There are certain preconceptions you can’t shake off walking into one of his flicks no matter how hard you try.

McAvoy steals the show as far as I’m concerned, his portrayal of “the horde” is brilliant.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Watched bumblebee, it was better than most of the tf movies but not there. Is a good pass but I felt a few questionable moments. At least it told me how bee lost his voice which I feel it was important, and note his original voice isn’t annoying either.

Watched alita and it was simple and great. Thank god the audience is smarter than the critics.

Saw alita and enjoyed it. I know nothing of the previous history or stories and this may have worked in my favour. Its a great popcorn flick though there were elements of the world I would have liked more info on. I would like to know how she got back up after hanging from her sword. Would rate 8/10. I would recommend seeing this movie.