View Poll Results: GEN-15 DLX Rook - worth buying?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 84.21%
  • Only if...

2 10.53%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

1 5.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - GEN-2015 DLX Rook

Default Toy Review - GEN-2015 DLX Rook

(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just some brief details to start you off)
    Impressions of the group or a combiner as a whole can be posted here or in the pre-existing group review topic here.

ROOK
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Combiner Wars
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - 3
    Released here - Not here yet (out in Asia April)
    Approximate Retail Price - (probably about $30) US$17
    Approximate Size - 15cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Armoured transport
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Combiner limb
    Main Colours - White, blue, black
    Main Accessories - gun/sword, combiner fist/foot

In my opinion this is the worst protectobot, not because he is a new member (my first Stunticon from CW was Offroad!) but I think he looks ugly. His face looks like an American Football player helmet, and his feet are huge! His vehicle mode is better then robot, but I will probably still get him as Defensor is my favourite non-Devastator CW combiner.
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

Does he not have hands?
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Does he not have hands?
    from those photos i think he does but the hole to peg weapons is not the 'top' of the hand as usual but the 'front'.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateGalvatron View Post
    In my opinion this is the worst protectobot, not because he is a new member (my first Stunticon from CW was Offroad!) but I think he looks ugly. His face looks like an American Football player helmet, and his feet are huge! His vehicle mode is better then robot, but I will probably still get him as Defensor is my favourite non-Devastator CW combiner.
    In hand he's actually pretty decent. Not the best of the wave, but I'd rate him above Breakdown. Plenty of posability, you can pull a Hulk/Hellboy with him by giving him one or two combiner hands.

He's a little bulky as an arm, especially compared to Blades (probably the slimmest CW deluxe so far) but otherwisw I've got no issues with him. The only figure in the line so far to have ankle tilt means he can pull a few poses the others just can't.

The bulk and the headsculpt make me think Hasbro is trying to make this guy look like the typical "tough" American "footballer" - you know, the kinda guys who strap on 10kg of padding just to play a derivative of rugby - once again shoving American ideals onto an unsuspecting/uninterested world.

The backpack is what makes this guy interesting, not because of what it is, but because of what it could represent. Over two thirds of the alt-modes top half is in this one piece - swap that out for something else, say a tank turret, maybe swap the wheels on his legs for tank treads and you've got a half track tank (like Straxus) called Brawl perhaps? Or take the remould a little further (there's certainly evidence supporting HasTak's willingness to completely re-shell CW releases) and replace all the wheels with tank treads, and maybe even swap the tank turret for a Thunderbirds #4 style drill and call it Nosecone.

Footballer? Nah dude he's totally wearing an Ushanka - you know, those Russian winter hats police in cold regions wear? I guess they beefed it up with the face grill so it looks like he's wearing riot gear as well.

I want to buy him just because of his cute hat.
    Thanks for the review prjkt.
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2

Eh... we've seen similar style "armoured faces" on Transformers before.
    e.g. Dreadwind, Polar Claw, Optimus Primal, Optimus Prime (RiD)/Omega Prime, Optimus Prime (CYB) (etc.) just to name a few. And I don't necessarily think that this style of guard is exclusively grid iron; many other sports including baseball and cricket also use similar style helmet guards, as did many medieval and Renaissance helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by tinyJazz View Post
    Footballer? Nah dude he's totally wearing an Ushanka - you know, those Russian winter hats police in cold regions wear?
    In Soviet Russia, Ushanka wears you!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Eh... we've seen similar style "armoured faces" on Transformers before.
    e.g. Dreadwind, Polar Claw, Optimus Primal, Optimus Prime (RiD)/Omega Prime, Optimus Prime (CYB) (etc.) just to name a few. And I don't necessarily think that this style of guard is exclusively grid iron; many other sports including baseball and cricket also use similar style helmet guards, as did many [
    It's weird, because I like most of the above characters but not Rook
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

YouTube decided to play nice, so here's my review of the new Combiner Wars Protectobot Rook. I have to say I was skeptical about the new team member, but I think I actually like him the most out of the team!

Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Rook - YouTube

Great new mold to be honest! Hope you can check out the video

Finally opened the first of my Protectobots tonight that I've had for nearly a month. And unlike the Stunticons I decided to go with the new guy first instead of last.

I quite like him. I think he makes a good addition to the Protectobot team - a bit of muscle to rescue bots (no pun intended) out of combat situations or buried under detritus. The robot mode seems quite sturdy, muscular (for a bot) and looks like he should become a SWAT vehicle. I was kinda surprised to see his hands dont have the option of holding a weapon - kinda odd in this day and age of TF toys.

The vehicle mode is blocky, tough and strong. A good SWAT tank with good police colours and the claw arm can be positioned in several different places depending on what scene you are setting up with him. Very nice!

The transformation was intuitive - certainly didn't need the instructions for it.

The comic as well at least had something to do with the Combiner Wars, even if Rook wasn't in it personally. Makes a change from some that came with Wave 2 .

Overall, a nice looking figure, a good addition to the Protectobot team and well worth getting to make (one version) of Defensor. Glad I picked him up