Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182333 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic book thread ON!

Quote Originally Posted by piratescratch View Post
    Marvel Zombies 3 #1 Also is it just me or does Aquarian from the Florida Initiative team look like Jesus?
    It's not just you, that's the usual joke about that character. I'm not sure bringing unstoppable zombies in the 616 Universe is a great idea - it dilutes their effectiveness as they will have to be stopped. The Zombie F4 in the Ultimate Universe was a great story but it was pretty much contained to the Baxter Building. Maybe this story will all take place in the Nexus Swamp? What I found most enjoyable from what I read of this issue was the zombie version of a major character from one of the other books you reviewed.

Avengers/Invaders #5 - And we're back, something that's got lost amongst the whole Secret Invasion thing that's currently happening. Last issue we left off at where Captain America (Bucky) confronts himself from the past, what I didn't expect was Captain America (Bucky) telling himself not to do "you know what" from the Winter Soldier arc. Other then that the rest of the issue is pretty forgettable. I'm still not sure where they're heading with this title.
    I think it's just the obligatory Alex Ross title to be honest.

Anyone been down to Classic Comics recently? Have they raised their cover prices b/c of the drop in the AUD$ or should I get in ASAP before they do?
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

TheDirtyDigger Guest

For anyone that likes their comics a little more mature, that Punisher: Valley Forge, Valley Forge TPB is about the best comic I have read all year.

Also been waiting an age for the 100 Bullets TPB to come out so was very grateful to get that. Will be reading it in about ten minutes.

Just finished Batman: The Long Halloween, really really enjoyed it. I like all the limited series books because I can just read them and not worry too much about what has happened in previous books/arcs... I know it's easy to still understand most comics even if you go in mid-arc, but the fact that they are mostly self contained I really like, meaning there's not too much contradiction etc with previous comics, and I can just pick it up and read and not have to know what has happened in previous comics..
    Last edited by jacksplatt11; 17th October 2008 at 12:54 AM.

loeb and tim sale...yeah..they produced great books..check out their Superman for all season

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jacksplatt11 View Post
    Just finished Batman: The Long Halloween, really really enjoyed it.
    Awesome book. Have you read Dark Victory also?

Quote Originally Posted by komikskolektor View Post
    loeb and tim sale...yeah..they produced great books..check out their Superman for all season
    Yeah they have put out some pretty good stuff, they work well together.. I only recently found out that Loeb has written episodes Smallville and Heroes, and that Sale drew all the artwork that Mendez drew in the show

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    Awesome book. Have you read Dark Victory also?
    It's next on my list

piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of October 15th.

Amazing Spider-Man #573 - New Ways to Die comes to an end. Dissapointed would be the word I'd use to describe this. Maybe I had my hopes set too high after all these stellar issues. Where was the big bang? Where was the climatic finale? The arc wraps up with a few loose ends for future story arcs no doubt. But all in all New Ways to Die is probably the best thing thats come out of Brand New Day. Oh the backup story with Colbert, I think ended up being more of a dissapointment.

Astonishing X-Men #27 - I'm still not warming up to the art and colouring, it's just not doing it for me, I find it inconsistent and well downright hideous at times. Other then that it was a good read, I like the dialogue between Brand, Beast and Cyclops, "Xenophiliac experimentation parter?". Whilst it feels a bit slow, doesn't feel like much has happened in the past few issues, I'm looking forward to seeing where this story arc takes us.

Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. #34 - Once again we're going through the Secret Invasion motions. War Machine takes out some Skrulls, gets no help from Russians, get's captured by Skrulls. I mean it's a solid issue but frankly I'm getting a bit tired of seeing the same old same old Secret Invasion scenarios that the heroes are being put through but they this is a lot better then the previous story arc, I much prefer this over that.

Mighty Avengers #19 - And how is this related to the Mighty Avengers? Next issue however is the final issue of Mighty Avengers, hopefully it'll end on a high note.

Uncanny X-Men #503 - What the hell has happened to Pixie? "I'm dark! I'm goth as hell!", seriously what? I liked her in The Quest for Magik arc in New X-Men but I'm not caring for this "new" Pixie here in Uncanny. It's not a bad read but it's just been a totally forgettable ride since #500.

Young X-Men #7 - Probably my favourite X-Men title out this week. After a shaky series start Young X-Men has began to pick up, we're still going through the transition stage, setting up status quo and what not. Still hoping that we see some more New X-Men/Academy X characters join the fray, I still feel a bit shafted after it's cancellation with the big Messiah Complex event and no those Divided We Stand issues were crap.

Oops a bit slow but better late then never.

piratescratch on the Marvel comics for the week of October 22nd.

Amazing Spider-Man #574 - Flash Thompson filler. Solid read if nothing else.

Captain America #43 - I love Captain America, even though we've moved on to a new arc this issue it still feels like one big overarching story.

Ms. Marvel #32 - Last issue of Ms. Marvel was pretty forgetful, this months is much better. I swear Carol looks like Cammy (of Street Fighter fame) in the first panels. I really liked this issue, that torture scene was pretty brutal but Carol in her underwear wielding a sledgehammer is surprisingly hot. Looking forward to seeing how this "origins" arc will go.

New Avengers #46 - New Avengers Secret Invasion fillers are a lot better then the Mighty Avengers ones not that they are all that great but still. New Avengers #46 just fills in the gaps for The Hood and his motley crew. Nothing we haven't seen before but an entertaining read none the less. We also abruptly (final page cliffhanger) discover the source of The Hood's powers, whether or not this will be followed up sooner or later is another thing.

Secret Invasion #7 - Action packed, that's it for this issue. As a single issue I'm sort of disappointed with the lack of plot progress but I'm sure for those who plan to wait for the trade and read the whole Secret Invasion thing in one go they'll get more of a kick out of this. Yu's elongated faces still creep me out. Oh and god the last panel with the baby, ha ha what ..?

Thunderbolts #125 - And we conclude this mediocre Secret Invasion tie in, the Thunderbolts clean up their Skrull mess and the issue finishes up with them joining the big party. The only thing that was slightly interesting in this issue was the final two pages which might be a foreshadowing of one of the possible big changes to come after this whole Secret Invasion fiasco is over also might have some ties to what Ms. Marvel said about Norman in Ms. Marvel #31.
    Last edited by piratescratch; 28th October 2008 at 08:28 PM.

Thunderbolts #125 - And we conclude this mediocre Secret Invasion tie in, the Thunderbolts clean up their Skrull mess and the issue finishes up with them joining the big party. The only thing that was slightly interesting in this issue was the final two pages which might be a foreshadowing of one of the possible big changes to come after this whole Secret Invasion fiasco is over also might have some ties to what Ms. Marvel said about Norman in Ms. Marvel #31.
    I foresee next year's big story arc to be revolving around Norman.

They've been building him up in Thunderbolt's, he's taken a semi-lead role in SI, and I loved his little confrontation with Fury, and is ASM he's injected himself into local politics. Only a matter of time before he takes another step and make a power grab.