View Poll Results: GEN-15 VOY Hot Spot - worth buying?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 80.00%
  • Only if...

2 8.00%
  • No

1 4.00%
  • Not even interested

2 8.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - GEN-15 VOY Hot Spot (combiner)

Opened him last night and had a play. My brief thoughts:

Robot Mode
    Very good, very nice articulation, good weapons, good colour scheme, looks very much like he did in the G1 cartoon. A definite winner!

Vehicle mode
    Just that bit too elongated with too much of a gap between the back of the cab and the front of the ladder rig. However I like the inclusion of a rescue bucket at the top of the ladder and it's fairly modern looking.

Overall
    I've got GDO and Titanium Hot Spots and I was pretty happy with both. This beats them both however for the simple fact he combines with the other Protectobots to form Defensor. He is a decent sized toy without any major glaring faults, though I think his vehicle mode could have been a bit better. However if you were just after representation of Hot Spot, even though it is a recolour of RID Prime, the Titanium Hot Zone I think does the superior job of combining the look and feel of the original toy and cartoon incarnation.

I'm very underwhelmed by hotspot. I still like him and recommend him as the concept is great, he robot mode is fantastic and the torso mode is better than I anticipated but there are so many little things (and a big one) that bug me.

He big bug bear for me is that he feels like a KO figure. The plastic is thin and brittle feeling. It has that not quite slimy feeling that I can't really describe better. A few parts (ladder, chest plate) it feels like it will snap not from the thinness of the piece but the quality.

The unpainted ladder ends, the head hanging there on the back, the chest piece hat falls off when you look at it, the fist bumpers and black legs showing in alt mode aware smaller annoyances that I can get over due to how fantastic he looks and the effort I know the designers had to go to to make it a combiner torso that could be reused for onslaught with minimal fuss.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

If agree he's underwhelming, but his robot mode looks great and I like his torso mode the best of the ones I've seen so far. The wrapping the ladder around the body is a transformation step I wasn't expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Just noticed the Defensor head isn't transformers out of sight in the official pic of his fire truck mode. Mine came out of the box similarly, with a giant robot head in display behind him in robot mode.

Got Hot Spot the other day, and he's a fantastic toy, on par with Silverbolt if not better. The torso mode is surprisingly filled out and solid. It's weird that you can get such a beefy dude out of a skinny bot like Hot Spot.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

I want to like him a lot. But this really bothers me and I haven't heard anyone mentioning yet.

The base of the ladder is lower than the front cab so the ladder can never sit flush but always at an angle, and the lights on the cab sticking doesn't help either. And the ladder is notched so it's forced to sit flush but can't.

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    I want to like him a lot. But this really bothers me and I haven't heard anyone mentioning yet.

The base of the ladder is lower than the front cab so the ladder can never sit flush but always at an angle, and the lights on the cab sticking doesn't help either. And the ladder is notched so it's forced to sit flush but can't.
    I noticed it. But it never even occurred to me to be bothered by it. It this was a masterpiece, I'd care, but I see CW as actual toys so I'm way more forgiving.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I got the UW version now. While the paint apps feel more complete compared to CW it doesn't cover up the fact that he is a pretty underwhelming figure. Balance issues, poor pegging tolerances and general fragility make this guy the weakest figure of the Protectobots.

I hope sharing the design with Onslaught was worth it (but by the looks of it I don't think it was, for either character).

I just got him today and I haven't spent a lot of time with it but so far he seems quite pose-able and he does look pretty awesome imo in bot mode

i have him in defensor mode now and i'm not sure what is going on but I can't get his right leg to lock in place with that double knee joint, but the left one seems secure. dunno if it's a bad philby or a bad hot spot. argh

Was thinking of getting this one but on second thoughts decided not to because it's colour reminds me of Mudflap (Cybertron) and to a lesser degree Hot Spot's alt. mode distantly reminds me of Mudflap's alt. mode.
    So I'm glad I chose not to because (the POTP repaint) Inferno is ideally what Hot Spot should have looked like in the first place.

P.S. Love the amount of flexibility in the ladder and how the combiner robot's head is hidden within the firefighters cage instead of the stereotype of being hidden within a chest cavity.