Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are your favourite and least favourite gimmicks/features in a Transformer?

Quote Originally Posted by CHILENO20 View Post
    Most Fav Gimmick:

Least Fav Gimmick:

Bodiless Headmasters: This I find is really annoying! What's the point of a headmaster that doesn't have a body??
    Agreed. It seems crazy having those spare heads. If only there was some sort of multi-faced monster to plug them into - a Quintesson for instance! I prefer the POTP Pretenders as a lowest price point option.

Electronic Voices: For any toy, I find this a bit odd because, to me, it makes those statement more _real_ than any other thing a kid might want to make the toy say.

Glowing Eyes: Talk of using fluorescent paint as an alternative for light-piping, which sounds cool, reminds me of another dislike I have - painting over light-piped eyes in subsequent re-decos!
    Last edited by Dan; 15th September 2018 at 03:12 PM.

Least Fav Gimmick:

Bodiless Headmasters: This I find is really annoying! What's the point of a headmaster that doesn't have a body??
    This also describes the inherently flawed nature of the Headmaster gimmick in general. Even those that come with a body. Because any detachable accessory (which is what a Headmaster is) can be lost, and what happens when you lose the detachable head? You have a headless robot.

It happened to me in 1988. I lent Snapdragon to a classmate who then lost my Krunk. I suffered owning a headless Snapdragon for over a decade until I finally replaced Krunk. From a toy perspective, Headmasters are a stupid gimmick and ultimately needless because Transformers are sentient robots. Why do they need pilots? The Rebirth tries to explain it... awkwardly. Oh you have the advantage of a second mind... uh, okay... you could do it by having your partner just ride inside your chest. Or speak to you remotely via radio. Why do they need to transform into your head?

Targetmasters and Powermasters are weird, but losing those Nebulans isn't as devastating. If you lose a Targetmaster then you just have a robot without a gun. Just find another 5mm post gun and Robert is your parent's brother. If you have a Powermaster without its Nebulan, it just means that it doesn't have an external engine component, but we all know that the toy can still transform by pushing down on the release trigger with your finger. My G1 Powermaster Optimus Prime came without Hi-Q (I got it for free) -- I got Hi-Q many years later, but I could easily transform Optimus Prime without Hi-Q. And Optimus Prime already has his front grill in place - the external protruding engine really isn't necessary even to form the vehicle itself.

As adult collectors we may not care about every Titans Return figure being a needless Headmaster because we won't lose the heads. But guaranteed that some poor kid out there will have. Having said that, from a child's POV these Titan Masters are cool as replacement heads. If we had Headmaster Warriors here in Australia when our Headmasters came out, I would've gone out and bought a spare Headmaster Nebulan for my poor Snapdragon. No, it wouldn't be the same as having Krunk, but it sure beats being headless! The secondary market must be full of headless G1 Headmasters.

FatalityPitt Guest

What's the point of a headmaster that doesn't have a body??
    Sacrificial offerings to Trypticon. Or if you don't have Trypticon, I think they make good victims in simulated vehicular accidents and robotic animal attacks

Fav gimmicks: Triple Changing and Combining
    (Hence why Scattershot remains one of my very fav G1 toys )

Least Fav: Action Masters (no transforming for a Transformer) and batteries as it’s years since I changed any and all those toys prob don’t work now

Not a real fan of Headmaster/Titan Master figures either for reasons others have already stated. Really dig Targetmasters though!

Favourite Gimmick:
    Combiner , Tripple/Hex Changing , Target Masters , Pretenders

Least Favourite:
    Action Masters , Head Masters

Galvatran Guest

I'm gonna call the whole line a gimmick, known as Robot Powered Machines (RPMs). How dreadful the 'transformation'.