Thread: Tokyo Comic Con 2017 Transformers display

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tokyo Comic Con 2017 Transformers display

A Convention in Tokyo this weekend has a nice display of Transformers, and some new reveals or announcements.

The toys on display, including upcoming Masterpiece and Movie Best toys.

A Star Wars Millenium Falcon... with a sign saying that it is the next of the TF/SW toyline.

And more on the Street Fighter Transformers, as well as a commemoration of the 10 year anniversary of the Movie universe, plus some licensed statues.

There is a certain intrepid reporter possibly heading there today.

Hopefully that dashing young man can take some pics for later.

Valkyrie's SDF:
    Transformer grails: MIB Minerva(the dream is OVER!!!! ), MIB Kiss Player Atariscream, MIB Kiss Player Sparkabots, Kiss Player Manga.

I saw the Barricade pic and for a split second hoped it was the upcoming Masterpiece, sadly it was a statue. The colouring on that one is MUCH better.

Went there yesterday and while it was enjoyable, it was pretty small.

Takara's stand only had a small display of Transformers Masterpiece, The SF x TF toys (hand painted I might add) and a bunch of current movie toys. I couldn't go on Friday when TTs panel was one, and they had nothing special happening it seems while I was there.

There was a guy hanging about somewhere who I saw when I first went there but he wasn't very talkative. There was also a model standing out the front with an Optimus Prime figure in her hands. She was there all day! What a hard way to earn some cash.

Most exciting news to report would be that the prototype of Dinobot looks great. It's quite huge and they had it set up with Primal and Cheetor. Looked very nice. I see why it's so expensive now. Nice little options like swapping his dino eyes and the faces. Man. Even in the prototype grey plastic it looked nice. Dino mode though is big and chunky and panelly. But it does seem very nicely articulated. I think Dinobot is going to be a good "Masterpiece" quality figure that's for sure.

They also had what looked like a production Sunstreaker there. He also looks super duper nice, but I think it's a bit over engineered. It has lights that raise and lower from the bonnet, as well as the opening door and engine hiding option. It's certainly pose-able as well. STreaker was next to Sideswipe on display and you can see the time gap between them.

There was a few shops selling stuff. One place had POTP figures, so I got my first look at them. Jazz didn't look too bad in person (in package) and they did pique my interest, but the seller's prices didn't.

That Barricade was a statue from some company with expensive and large statues. They had a HEAP of various movie ones (Shockwave's one was obscenely large), BW Megatron and Primal and various other franchises (DC/Berserk/Gurren Lagaan). Seeing all these statues of TF Movie characters made me realise how boring they kind of look. All metallic, all mostly silver coloured sinewy themed robots. A whole wall of impressive statues and all I thought was "Meh."

Next to the Transformers section was a Diaclone area that was really nicely done. I was surprised that the figures are actually quite small. Once again a guy there, but not so talkative. I took a few snaps, but have to set up an account for hosting since I used to use Photobucket... I'll get on to that later.

On a personal note, I only went to see Stan Lee. I figured he must be getting on a bit now and when I saw him, he looked a bit like a frail old grandpa. Sadly I paid a lotta cash for a photo and didn't get to talk to him, which is a bit annoying, it was shuffle in, stand next to Stan (in his chair) Click. Ok, geddout. Seeya Stan.
    So impersonal. I understand that there's a lot of people... buut. I did pay a decent amount of money for essentially a 5 second click with an old man. Probably would have gotten better value for money going for an autograph. Which was cheaper.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Most of these old celebrities are there just to do the minimum and because they are very high in demand they really don't have the time to chat. I was signing autographs with Christopher Lloyd and also felt the same but I did manage to strike a quick conversation.

The younger celebrity are more accomodating. But I guess it is what it is.

Back to the show, it feels boring? Nothing fresh from Takara? Kinda let down this year.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Most of these old celebrities are there just to do the minimum and because they are very high in demand they really don't have the time to chat. I was signing autographs with Christopher Lloyd and also felt the same but I did manage to strike a quick conversation.

The younger celebrity are more accomodating. But I guess it is what it is.

Back to the show, it feels boring? Nothing fresh from Takara? Kinda let down this year.
    Lol, Yeah. Stan is also 94 years old now and it must be pretty exhausting for him, so I was fine with that. It just gave me a real mortality hit when I saw him.

As for the show, yup it was a let down on TT's side of things, buuuuut, this is only the second Comic-Con in Japan and they have the Tokyo Toy show as the big one (plus Wonderfest and possibly game show) to haul out their stuff. Next time I'll have to get my act together to brave the humidity and people for the Toy Show.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I was surprised that the figures are actually quite small.
    Yeah the Dianauts are amazingly well engineered considering the amount of articulation you get in them despite their tiny size.