Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Overseas sightings: Japan

Mandarake (say "Mun-dah-rah-keh") stores are child-friendly AFAIK, but then again, I only looked at Transformers. They may stock Ecchi/Hentai stuff, but I never saw it. But if you stick to the TF sections you should be right.

If you want to ask for Transformers, say "TORANSUFOOMAA" (say "tor-run-soo-for-mah"). A lot of fans/collectors abbreviate it as "Torafo" in casual conversation.

Never tried to have an item delivered to a Japanese hotel address.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    Are the Mandrake stores kid friendly? My 8 year old wants to come Transformers hunting with me.
    At the Akihabara store the "naughty stuff" is kept to two of the floors (4 & 5 I think), so just make sure when you go up the stairs or elevator, keep an eye out for those floors, or just go straight up to the top two floors (7 & 8) for the collectable toys.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    At the Akihabara store the "naughty stuff" is kept to two of the floors (4 & 5 I think), so just make sure when you go up the stairs or elevator, keep an eye out for those floors, or just go straight up to the top two floors (7 & 8) for the collectable toys.
    I loved that store so much

You'll have 0 issues at Mandarake stores as they do have some international staff members that can speak English

If you want to pick someones brain, look for the chaps or chappettes with the blue aprons as they are considered experts/person in charge while brown is for employees and red aprons are for trainees

As Griffin also mentioned, avoid levels 4 & 5 at the Akihabara complex
    Levels 1 for resale corner, 2 dolls girls toys, 3 manga, 6 blu ray/ cd, 7 vintage toys & 8 robots, transformers and other action figures respectively

Thanks for all the advice.
    I'm only interested in Transformers (and same goes for my son) so it should all be good especially now I know to avoid the 4th and 5th floors. My time for Transformers hunting will be limited to part of one day (with at least one sprog in tow which will slow things down considerably (especially if HE finds Transformers he wants or amazing Transformers displays he can't resist ogling at - I always have to drag him out of Hobbybase here in HK he loves their display cabinets so much)) so I'd like to be as efficient and prepared as possible so we both enjoy the experience.

Also thanks for the phonetics Gok. I appreciate it. I would rather know the local words to use than assume everyone speaks English.

If anyone has any other gems of advice to share, please keep it coming.

Aeon Mall near Kyoto station

Tokyo sightings...

MP: Most G1 MPs are easy enough to find, including Ironhide, Ratchet, Inferno and Grapple. Delta Magnus and Road Rage continue to shelf warm in some stores, as is the reissue of MP10 - common as chips.

MP36 Megatron wasn't visibly common, only saw it shelved at one store in Ueno. Now I say "visibly" common because I bought mine from Yodobashi Camera where the toy wasn't displayed because it was too big but kept behind the counter. I asked the staff if they had it in stock, and sure enough there was a pile of them on a shelf behind the counter. So it's possible that MP36 may be in stock but simply not displayed.
    Advice: if you are looking for MP36 ask the staff if they have it in stock - don't immediately assume that the toy isn't in stock just because you don't see it.

Here's something that'll make Verno a happy camper - BW MPs were sold out everywhere I checked. Saw Cheetor once at a Mandarake but didn't see Optimus Primal anywhere. BW MPs are selling like crazy!

TAV Warrior Class: Scorponok still appears to be a pegwarmer. Only found Ratchet and Bisk once at two different stores.

Legends: Wow! These toys must really be selling like hotcakes! I couldn't find any Deluxe Class figures. Soundwave and Ravage are shelfwarming and I found Broadcast in one or two stores. I spoke to at least one store staff member who confirmed that Legends has been a very strong seller for them.

Movie The Best: Shelfwarming everywhere.

TRU exclusive: Geoffrey Prime is one massive shelfwarmer! Overpriced too.

Is the information in this thread, generally up to date?

Its "crunch" time for me and my planning, I've left it a little bit late compared to where I should be.

While this is a TF forum, anyone happen to spot concentrations of diecast cars on their travels to the TF sightings?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    Is the information in this thread, generally up to date?

Its "crunch" time for me and my planning, I've left it a little bit late compared to where I should be.

While this is a TF forum, anyone happen to spot concentrations of diecast cars on their travels to the TF sightings?
    Plenty of places with diecast cars and all sizes too. Nakano has various stores inside and the majority of major shops have certain brands of cars.

Valkyrie's SDF:
    Transformer grails: MIB Minerva(the dream is OVER!!!! ), MIB Kiss Player Atariscream, MIB Kiss Player Sparkabots, Kiss Player Manga.

I've been living in Tokyo for the past year and half, so if anyone has any questions I'll try my best answer them as well