Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182333 ... LastLast

Thread: model building

I'm loving this thread, so much creative stuff. I'm modelling vicariously through all you guys.

nice.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

just picked up a hobbyboss A-7 corsair II 1/72 scale and a 1/48 revell ME-110 G2/R3 and the hobbyboss box looks like a poor mans box with the crappy art but the model inside is awesome. very well detailed and no flash what so ever and the parts line up perfectly. i'll have some pic's up later of it. if you see 1 grab it, you won't be disappointed.

some work in progress pic's. i've nearly finished the Ju-88 and the He-115 floatplane and i've just started the Me-110 and about halfway through the corsair II. the mirage is part of a series of warplanes and warships where the germans won the war.

1 side of the corsair II stickered up, still have the bombs and missiles to paint yet.

You shouls do some shading or weathering to bring out the details. A wash in all the recesses would also bring out all the moulded in details.

i've tried to do that but it never seems to work for me. is there a trick to it or am i doing something wrong?

For starters the model should have a gloss coat then apply wash with a fine brush into all the recesses. Tamiya, Vallejo, MIG and others all have nice product.
    When dry use a cotton bud dipped in enamel thinners to wipe off excess.
    Key points would be to make sure the surface is glossy and less is more.

thanks for the tips dude. i'll get some of that stuff later this week.

Iriorne is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Nice looking speeder! I just saw FineMolds are doing a limited reissue of the 1/72 Millennium Falcon... very tempting.

irondude: The gloss coat will also help hide the excess decal film as well. Over coat with gloss to seal the decals, then apply an oil wash.

You can use any artists oils (general advice is artist grade for finer pigments) and thin it down with white spirits to the consistency of dirty thinner. Greys or browns are best, avoid black. Apply with a fine brush to panel lines and detail areas and clean up the excess with a cotton swab. Avoid the temptation to touch it for a while as the oil paints can take some time to dry fully.

Another weathering tip is to grind artists chalk pastels into a powder and apply with a brush to simulate soot and blast marks. Pastels go on best over a matte coat and have a tendency to rub off unless protected with another over coat.

When applying or cleaning up weathering, wipe in the direction of the airflow for a more realistic look.

more

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by iamirondude View Post
    thanks for the tips dude. i'll get some of that stuff later this week.
    don't get what goes on top of what or you make a mess out of your kit.

You MUST spray the clear gloss coat before you line, or you will scream.