Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24343940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: The Decision Thread

I'm working on a TF crossover custom (that is, turning TFs into characters from another franchise), and I'm not sure whether to put TF faction symbols on the finished products.

I'm completely unsure which way to go. Thoughts?

One is nearly complete, I'll put up a gallery the next few days, all going well.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Official TF Crossovers (Star Wars, Marvel, Animorphs) have never had TF faction logos. I guess if the idea is for the Transformers to be non-Cybertronians, then they wouldn't have Cybertronian faction logos. If on the other hand, you want to make something like Energon Snowcat; a Cybertronian who happens to transform into a vehicle from another franchise (in this case, a G.I. Joe Snowcat), then it would make sense for that toy to have faction logos because the robot is still actually a Cybertronian whose alt mode happens to be something from another franchise. Snowcat is a Decepticon whose alt mode is a GI Joe Snowcat, but Darth Vader/Death Star is the Death Star who happens to transform into a giant mecha that resembles Darth Vader's armour.

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    I'm working on a TF crossover custom (that is, turning TFs into characters from another franchise), and I'm not sure whether to put TF faction symbols on the finished products.

I'm completely unsure which way to go. Thoughts?

One is nearly complete, I'll put up a gallery the next few days, all going well.
    why not do something in between.... morph a tf faction logo with whatever franchise logo you're doing?

kinda like this:

keen to see what you've done

Quote Originally Posted by janda the red View Post
    why not do something in between.... morph a tf faction logo with whatever franchise logo you're doing?

kinda like this:

keen to see what you've done
    This would be a great!

Looking forward to seeing this amalgam of characters Mbot.

I agree with the others, perhaps even just the representative logo of the characters faction or franchise entirely. I never had any star wars transformers but I'm pretty sure they had empire and rebellion logos on them where appropriate.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

^This is true. e.g. Obi-Wan Kenobi/Jedi Starfighter toys only have Republic logos on it, no Autobot or other Cybertronian logos.

Having said that, the idea of a hybrid logo is pretty neat too. It all depends on the intention of the story behind the toy; are they intended to just be unliving piloted mecha (as Star Wars TFs are), or are they meant to be living Cybertronians who have disguised themselves in the universe of another franchise? (as GI Joe/TFs are in the comics)

When Star Wars TFs first came out, I wrote a series of fan bios which explained that they were a group of Autobots and Decepticons who accidentally ended up in the Star Wars universe and disguised themselves as vehicles to blend in. The Autobots initially sided with the Republic and the Decepticons with the CIS and other neutrals (e.g. Mandalorians etc.). After Order 66, the Autobots realised that they'd been deceived (along with the Jedi) and survivors went and joined the Rebel Alliance. The sole exception was Strike Wing (Anakin Skywalker/Jedi Starfighter). Both Strike Wing and Guard Wing (Obi-Wan Kenobi/Jedi Starfighter) were critically wounded after the destruction of the Invisible Hand. Both were placed in CR chambers. When Anakin became Darth Vader (but before the battle of Mustafar), he had Strike Wing rebuilt as Cry Convoy* (Darth Vader/Jedi Starfighter). After the Battle of Mustafar when Vader was rebuilt as a cyborg, Strike Wing was also rebuilt with his TIE Advanced alt mode. Guard Wing was later restored by Jedi sympathisers and told to flee Coruscant as Cry Convoy was helping the Empire to hunt down surviving Autobots. He later came to serve the Rebel Alliance and was rebuilt with an X-Wing alt mode (Luke Skywalker/X-Wing). Hey, I never said that my fanfics were any good.

------------------------------------------
    *Written in Japanese as 暗いコンボイ (Kurai Convoy); lit. "Dark Convoy."

Thanks for your input Goktimus, Janda, BruiseLee and UltraMarginal. Your collective thoughts have helped me make up my mind. The customs will have something like faction symbols, but more suited to their franchise.

First completed figure reveal this weekend! Thanks again folks.

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms

Looking forward to it
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    First completed figure reveal this weekend!
    I been stalking your posts

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    Looking forward to it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythirax View Post
    I been stalking your posts
    Sorry to disappoint, but I ran out of time this weekend to do the finishing touches and do a photo shoot. Hopefully the next few days!

It's a strange one. I had the idea for the custom almost immediately (you'll see why when it's revealed), but doing a Google search I couldn't find any trace of anyone doing the same thing before. Surely - SURELY - I can't be the first person to think of this idea and bring it to fruition. I'd be surprised if I am.