Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for IT job in melb

Quote Originally Posted by primatives View Post
    another question to all the guys in IT. I enjoy IT and have learnt things like dhcp, dns, active directory , permissions, switches routers, ip addressing, subnetting.

Did you guys understand all of this well when u applied for jobs??? Whilst i have learnt and done it during my course i am not confident and have trouble remembering it as i dont use it everyday. do u find that you pick it up during work and you understand it more when applying it at work because i honestly dont remember alot and and wondering if im the only one that has trouble remembering all if any of what i learnt during my course!! thanks guys

This is very much the boat that I've found myself in and it still remains a concern of mine.

In my area the issue is that employers only want people with a minimum of 3 years on-the-job experience, which leaves a shit-tone of the 18-15 age group basically left to look for work in Sydney... of which you then have to try and compete with the immense number of ex-students, foreign workers etc. up there and employers literally have their choice of the top of the crop and many, many people are left fighting just trying to get experience.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    The No 1 rule is that most employers won't really care about your academic credentials - They are mostly concerned with your real world experience and what you can do.

The main thing for you is to build up experience as much and as quickly as you can. That is what the employer will be concerned about. Get employed as quickly as you can even if it's a casual/part time job to develop your skill set.
    I spent time at 2 business in August and December last year; both made promises they couldn't, in the case of the former - wouldn't, live up to and whilst I received a little bit of working experience in Level 1 Helpdesk and Contracted on-site work... (Of which the later actually kept to their word and paid me); I've still not had a great deal of luck, this is more indicative of my area though which has an unemployment rating twice to 3 times the national average and in the 18-25 y/o bracket alone it's 18%.

All that being said, definitely try and get as much experience you can Primatives but certainly don't get taken for a ride either - It's not a lot of fun.

ok guys just an update on my situation and wanting some comments.

So i accepted a job at a small IT shop. I was there for about 2 weeks and then asked them if he guy would train me. He basically said because I have no experience my certificate means absolute shit and that I would have to start from the bottom. By that it means I am pulling apart and building computers. I'm working with a guy that has a tonne of knowledge and talks soo much and in very technical terms sometimes I just zone out! Whilst I am a bit disappointed and was a bit disillusionned that I once I got out of school I could get a decent job straight away, but it makes sense with abosolute no knowledge I can't expect to get a job doing network administration or something similar.

My boss basically said that i'm gonna have to work my way up and learn how to diagnose problems and learn how to figure out problems from my workmate. I figured I'd stick it out and see how I go after a year. The pay is quite poor and finding it hard that I'm starting from scratch, had this plan in my head i could earn like 40-50k which i could at a help desk job BUT my boss said that helpdesks are all software based so very hard to move beyond that as the scope of it is so small whereas if i stuck it out now once I learn all the networking side and dealing with real life customers datas and buidling networks and monitoring servers I'll be able to branch out to other areas.

My boss also suggested that I build servers at home and he'll totally screw it up so i can learn how to diagnose problems. Which will be a good learning expereince and I'm hoping mybe if I an just find the strength to stick it out that I'll be able to earn more money instead of the peanut wage that I am on. I am finding it hard to be motivated having been brought down to earth but there are good things as well, my boss is a no nonsense type of guy that literally grills you and makes you use your head by asking question after question to make you learn yourself and not have him tell you the answer all the time, just makes me nervous and flustered. its also 4kms from my house! Keep the car home and ride to work and wake up 1hr before work!!! But work is a drainer having so little or such basic things to do.

Well thats my situation at the moment fingers crossed and see how I go!!

Reason why I wrote this is because pretty much all IT jobs require experience even junior positions!!! Think it would have been good that schools tell u this and not let u find out the hard way and i find what school teaches you is useless as u dont remember it anyways, even reading on IT forums like whirlpool are also similar stories its always experince that gets u the job and maybe not necessarily the certificate.

welll im just rambling now so i'll just stop here what do u guys think of my situation? stick with it or any idea and how to fast track my knowledger?