Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Generations Combiners & group reviews/comments

And from that day, Silverbolt was known as C***face around Autobot HQ.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Damned View Post
    looks like he is giving birth or taking a dump lol
    I have it on good authority that both often happen at the same time.

Let's just say Silverbolt's a bit of a d*ckhead.

Funnily enough, on the other (US based) forum, no one seemed to notice or comment on the deliberate mistransformation. Gotta love Aussie humour.

If anyone wants any other comparison shots, feel free to ask, I have a large range of classics-verse characters - mostly deluxe, with a few voyagers - and I'll do my best to find time to shoot. (Damn working retail at Christmas time)

Nice comparison shots, looking forward to more Would love to see the rest of your collection.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    Nice comparison shots, looking forward to more Would love to see the rest of your collection.
    Thanks, glad you enjoy.

When my next shipment (that left today) arrives I'll re-shoot and upload a few pics (when I qualify for access to that forum)

Well f*ck

Just broke Silverbolt. Right near the hinges of the piece where Superion's head is attached to.

Still holds together for now, but the other side is also seriously showing strain.... Be careful when you transform him!

Not the sharpest pics (hand-holdings manual focus macro lense is not easy) but it's still clear....

right side (broken)

left side (serious stress marks)

It's obvious from the underside too (the part that becomes Silverbolt's lower chest - but not risking another transformation here.

Between this and the floppy head on Prime, I'm not having the best of luck

As someone who is getting Bolt tomorrow. Can you say what you did to break it so I can avoid this?

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    As someone who is getting Bolt tomorrow. Can you say what you did to break it so I can avoid this?
    I only noticed the weakness just as I snapped it... So you've just gotta be careful when rotating that section around

Balls. Hasbro needs to stop using that particular mixture of light-coloured ABS plastic - it's the GPS of the 21st century.

Thought I'd share some thoughts on Combiner Wars as well so here goes

First impression on these figures is they're big and well built. I feel like Hasbro/TakTom went through some major decision making to make sure these designs were be executed as intended. One big thing imo is the prioritization of size and play-ability versus complexity. Yes CW figures are back to the old classics size with simplified engineering. The simplification in design has been a trend since DotM but I feel like these combiner figures make the focus on play-ability really shine through. With the added combining capability and scramble-city style mix-match, these are really FUN to play with. Imagine you wanna combine your Superion quickly but transforming Silverbolt alone takes you a good 20 minutes...Granted, lower crude oil price may have been a contributing factor in the size increase, I believe clearly defined design guidelines certainly helped so kudos to Hasbro.

Some quick snaps below:

Drag Strip's combiner part has an additional 5mm port on the bottom to allow for G1 style weapon mounting. It's these little things that make the difference in a collector's eye.

Some of these Combiner Wars figures may well be the most G1-accurate figures we've ever got..

People have complained about Superion's soft rubbery antenna. There's actually a way for the antenna to sit properly inside Silverbolt's chest. When you transform, just make sure they're folded all the way back so they sit flush against the slopes on either side of Superion's head.

So when you fold the head inside Silverbolt's chest, there's two holes for the tips of the antenna. This should prevent them for getting bent. Another well thought-out little design.

Firefly may be my favorite of the first wave. I used to own Fireflight when I was a kid and this figure just oozes G1 Fireflight, right down to the very toy-accurate head sculpt.

The painted red chest on Skydive reminds me of the die cast chest piece on the G1 toys.

I know nothing about what Alpha Bravo is like in the IDW comics but I like his weapons: a heavy machine gun and dual gattling themed combining accessory.

Drag Strip's head sculpt is full of personality. Actually I like almost all of the head sculpt on these toys. And the QC is generally really good as well.

Superion is really what you pay for. The design is SO G1 and so good. Silverbolt's torso transformation is elegant and smart. Can't wait for Air Raid to complete the team!

I love the cartoon accuracy of the head scuplt

Articulation as mention by a lot is great and feels solid. The lack of ankle tilt doesn't hinder posing that much because you can use the heel spur/thumb to balance. Do be careful though when using this to hold a pose. while the rotating joint is ratcheted, the horizontal pivot is only a pin joint. What I really feel lacking is a head tilt. Ultra Prime has it and for a figure that lacks ankle joint, the ability to move the head up so it's not looking down all the time when you pose it a dramatic way is really critical.

Optimus is actually better than I expected. I really like how he's bulky and beefy looking. I imagine this will work well for Motormaster too.

Ultra Prime is a bit of a let down. I like how Optimus forms a torso that's bulkier than Superion's and it really helps to differentiate between the torsos. However, the proportions around the waist area is really off, and because Ultra Prime loses Optimus' thigh swivel he has to use the combiner joint, which has rather big clicking intervals. So he looks kind of awkward in action poses. I don't care too much about Ultra Prime but I was really looking forward to Menasor. Now I feel like Superion might end being a much better combiner.

It's nice head sculpt but the Hasbro grey on the chest is distracting. And hopefully when Optimus' masquerade gang comes out he will have an official Legends figure to go on the chest.

The graphic designs on the packaging and instruction booklets are really good.

Overall, these are great toys and fun to play with. Simpler transformation on these Generations toys may not be everyone's cup of tea, it works really well here. It's been a long while since I'm able to enjoy a whole wave of Hasbro toys with strong design and production quality on each one of them. And I think it's safe to say that these are the best combiners from Hasbro, ever, and up there on the same level with those fantastic combiners Car Robot brought us to be considered best combiners of all time. Highly recommended.