View Poll Results: RID(2015) Grimlock - worth buying?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • ME GRIMLOCK SAY BUY THIS TOY!

3 23.08%
  • Only if cheap

5 38.46%
  • Only if...

2 15.38%
  • Na

2 15.38%
  • ME GRIMLOCK IN GREEN MAKE ME GRIMLOCK FEEL BLUE

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - RID(2015) Warrior-Class Grimlock

Default Toy Review - RID(2015) Warrior-Class Grimlock

Name – Grimlock
    Series – RID (2015)
    Size/class - Warrior
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 1
    Released here – Not yet
    Approximate Retail Price - $17.00US
    Approximate Size – 13cm
    Allegiance - Dinobot
    Alt-mode – Cybertronian T-Rex
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Opening Jaws
    Main Colours – Green, Black, Gray
    Main Accessories – N/A

Robot Mode
    Looks nothing like G1 or AoE Grimlock, instead he has what can only be described as a teddy-bear face with those ears and facial colouring. The figure itself is decently proportioned and has ok articulation. The Warrior class in this new RID line is smaller than the Deluxe Class of Generations, perhaps only Arcee being comparable in size. His Dino arms hang down from his armpits, making you think a little of IDW Monstructor.

T-Rex Mode
    With the spinal ridges and yellow crest, with recolouring this would have made a good Trypticon. If you thought that Animated Grimlock was kiddy then you aint seen nothing yet! He does have a fearsome face and you can make his big jaw open and close by manipulation of a nub on the back of his neck. However then you look down and he has - instead of claws – hands that would not be out of place on a Pixar character. It’s not a bad looking alt-mode – somewhere between Classics and Pretender Grimlock in T-Rex size, but looks more like Godzilla than a Dinobot – especially with the green colouring.

Transformation

Interestingly, the instructions are on the back of the card, he does not come with an instructions insert. Not that you need the instructions, its fairly easy and quite a nice little process, but if you buy this for a little kid make sure you don’t throw the backing card out after opening.

Overall
    Well I'm not a massive fan of the robot mode much and the Dinosaur mode is better but not great, especially with those hands but that is the way I will display him. The colour scheme is very non-Grimlock but looked at objectively its very strong and the green and black look very good together. Again, this figure is quite small, if you are after a bigger one you would want to buy the very basic Hyper Change Hero version. He provokes a reaction a bit like some of the AoE toys – if it wasn’t supposed to be Grimlock you would probably like it better. The badge on his chest in both modes can be scanned to the relevant app. Ive had a go and it seems to scan fine, but I need to play though a bunch of tutorials with Bbee before I can use big Grim.

So if you are a Grimlock nut like me, or plan on getting all the new RID(2015) figures than this is not a bad one to start with on the whole. If neither you can probably bypass this figure.

I am undecided on this line. Your size comment, smaller than recent Gen deluxes, is a worry in comparison to price. But I like the designs so far and the first wave is already in my POL so I will decide when I've got them in hand.

(But this isn't supposed to be G1 Grimlock, it's another robot/dinosaur also called Grimlock so I don't think that's a reason to knock it. If anyone maybe he's supposed to be the original RID Grimlock who was also Green and Black )

I love all the RiD Warriors and Grimlock is one of the strongest. You do have to look past G1 Grimlock to dig him though.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post

But this isn't supposed to be G1 Grimlock, it's another robot/dinosaur also called Grimlock so I don't think that's a reason to knock it. If anyone maybe he's supposed to be the original RID Grimlock who was also Green and Black
    Au contraire - this is since its RID(2015) technically an Aligned-Universe Grimlock so he is supposed to be pretty much the same as Grimlock appeared in Fall of Cybertron since according to Hasbro its all the same universe and continuity (WFC/FOC/Prime/RescueBots/RID/The Covenant of Primus etc) ergo the same character. And FOC Grimlock in style, look and colour scheme was heavily based on the G1 version.

I do take your point though - and hey - I bought him didn't I?

I've often wondered if you count the old Excavator Grimlock from the original RID as a 'Grimlock Grimlock' if you catch my drift, or it was just random use of the name? I'm setting up a Big Grim display in my shed and not sure whether to include him or not.

I am undecided on this line. Your size comment, smaller than recent Gen deluxes, is a worry in comparison to price. But I like the designs so far and the first wave is already in my POL so I will decide when I've got them in hand.
    If you have a look in the January Jubilations thread (in the post just above yours) there is a pic of him next to the new deluxe sized Aerielbots - you can see he's at least a good head shorter than Firefly whom he is next to .

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Au contraire - this is the Aligned Grimlock so he is supposed to be pretty much the same as Grimlock appeared in Fall of Cybertron since according to Hasbro its all the same universe and continuity (WFC/FOC/Prime/RescueBots/RID/The Covenant of Primus etc) ergo the same character. And FOC Grimlock in style, look and colour scheme was heavily based on the G1 version.
    It will be a cold day in the Pit before I buy into all that "Aligned" rubbish
    (actually I kind of do, long story, but not in the way that I'd say FOC Grimlock ends up becoming this Grimlock)

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    If you have a look in the January Jubilations thread (in the post just above yours) there is a pic of him next to the new deluxe sized Aerielbots - you can see he's at least a good head shorter than Firefly whom he is next to .
    Yes I noticed that in your post. I'll have to see them in person to decide.

It will be a cold day in the Pit before I buy into all that "Aligned" rubbish
    (actually I kind of do, long story, but not in the way that I'd say FOC Grimlock ends up becoming this Grimlock)
    Yeah true - there wasn't much of a resemblance between the FOC and TFPrime versions of Soundwave either

He reminds me of Blot with the dino head on his robot mode like that.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

It's part of the Aligned Continuity Family, and not part of the same continuity. For example, the G1 toys, Marvel Comics, Sunbow Cartoon, Ladybird Books, Big Looker Books, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, IDW G1 et al. are all part of the G1 Continuity Family, but they are not all part of the same continuity per se. So we may say that Aligned Grimlock is G1-esque in the War For/Fall of Cybertron and IDW TFP continuities, but the same may not hold true across all Aligned continuities in the Aligned Continuity Family.

Mild cartoon spoiler ahead

Interesting to see that the toy has an Autobot insignia even though Grimlock sports a Decepticon logo in the cartoon.

Thanks for your review Trev, it's helped me decide for now. Don't think I'll get them unless I fall in love with the TV show.

Also 'ME GRIMLOCK IN GREEN MAKE ME GRIMLOCK FEEL BLUE', just made me laugh to much Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythirax View Post
    Thanks for your review Trev, it's helped me decide for now. Don't think I'll get them unless I fall in love with the TV show.

Also 'ME GRIMLOCK IN GREEN MAKE ME GRIMLOCK FEEL BLUE', just made me laugh to much Priceless.
    Heh - I write these reviews mainly for enjoyment but glad I was able to both inform and entertain

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    He reminds me of Blot with the dino head on his robot mode like that.
    Blot from Beast Hunters? Totally! Now you've said it I totally see it