Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should there be or will there be a red chest POTP Swoop?

I don't begrudge Hasbro's choice to give Swoop a show-like blue chest or show-like eyes (instead of a toy-accurate visor). A lot of fans prefer show-likeness and Hasbro are giving what the majority of fans want. While I prefer toy-accuracy I know that I'm in a minority.

Quote Originally Posted by tinyJazz View Post
    Good idea for a potential SDCC Dinobot set. Or even a HTS exclusive
    I would go out of my way to hunt down a SDCC set of Dinobots with a metallic silver paint and delivered in the ark playset box they used a few years ago.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The Gen1 cartoon has so much to answer for... we wouldn't have the whole Rumble/Frenzy debate if it wasn't for the cartoon not matching the toys.
    A cartoon fan at Hasbro was probably responsible for Swoop's colours, like we saw with recent Rumble and Frenzy toys swapping colours.
    I don’t think there’s much of a Frumble debate anymore, most fans seemingly get that the colours for either one are exclusive to each fiction or toy.

e.g cartoon Rumble is blue because he is in the cartoon, while the titans return red and black guy is Rumble because it says that on the packaging.

I’d say they probably went with blue Swoop because it’d be the most popular.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Admittedly, my comment above was tongue in cheek... what I was alluding to with Rumble/Frenzy is that the original US cartoon was the odd one out until the end of the 20th century, but since the US cartoon had the biggest impact on early fans (bringing characters to life more than the comic and toys do on their own), when those fans started making their way into official positions (at Hasbro, Dreamwave, IDW, etc), blue Rumbles and red Frenzys started showing up after about 2002 as toys and in comics (see next paragraph), because those fans wanted toys or comics to match/homage the cartoon characters they grew up with.
    (amusingly though, it sounds like there are fans of both at IDW and they can't keep the colours consistent in the IDW-verse, as it is noted at the link above that the colours keep changing, depending on who is doing the issue)
    Since the original cartoon in Japan was dubbed to have Rumble as the red one (fixing the animation error of the US cartoon), they never had the debate over there, and I believe, all of their various Rumble toys over the years have been red.
    But it is ironic though that TakaraTomy has been the one doing their toys to match cartoon colours (particularly during the Legends line), but since they corrected the Rumble/Frenzy error, they aren't likely to ever do a blue Rumble/red Frenzy toy.
    (and I'm a toy fan first, so Rumble is always red to me... and I generally ignore animation errors, which this was one)

But when in doubt, there is always this classic solution to the problem.

In relation to Swoop, I honestly didn't notice that he was blue in the cartoon until someone pointed it out to me in the late 90s. I guess it wasn't as obvious as Rumble/Frenzy, as he wasn't in a lot of episodes (and him and Snarl came in late).
    As such, I just don't know if there is that much demand or appeal for a blue Swoop as the regular edition... as I think it would have made more sense to have the blue version as a limited edition redeco. (we wouldn't have had as many people asking about a blue Swoop if it had been done red)

I don't care whether his chest is red OR blue - I'm just happy we're finally getting the rest of the Dinobots in the Classicsverse...

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    I don't care whether his chest is red OR blue - I'm just happy we're finally getting the rest of the Dinobots in the Classicsverse...
    This
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I don't begrudge Hasbro's choice to give Swoop a show-like blue chest or show-like eyes (instead of a toy-accurate visor). A lot of fans prefer show-likeness and Hasbro are giving what the majority of fans want. While I prefer toy-accuracy I know that I'm in a minority.
    Likewise - it's one of the few cases where I would have preferred toy accuracy over cartoon accuracy as a red chest would have made his colour scheme fit in with the rest of the dinos. That said it doesn't really bother me too much and I'm quite pleased with him

I could possibly be persuaded to buy another version if it came in red but I'd have to decide if it was worth it when the time came.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Not everyone thinks Transformers are over priced like you do.
    I would strongly argue that those people are letting their emotions and desires cloud their understanding of the value of money. But that's just me. If you think $80 for a leader class toy is good value, then that's great.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Not everyone thinks the quality of the Hasbro releases are acceptable like you do.
    Percieved quality is subjective and almost always requires context. I assume you thought the previous lines Takara releases were of a higher "quality"?

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    ^This man gets it.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Special edition UW set with red-chested Swoop, G2 Grimlock/Slag/Snarl, and some other kind of Sludge (Diaclone maybe? I know there are G2 versions of Swoop and Sludge but idk this'd be funnier. )

I would personally love some Shattered Glass Dinobots. Grimlock in Trypticon colours, Swoop in Divebomb colours, Snarl in Slugfest colours (the best cassette bot). Couldn’t think of schemes for Sludge or Slug though.
    Last edited by Bidoofdude; 31st January 2018 at 11:16 PM.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust