View Poll Results: DotM Voyager Skyhammer - worth buying?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 84.00%
  • Only if cheap

1 4.00%
  • Only if (something else)

1 4.00%
  • No

1 4.00%
  • Not interested

1 4.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DotM Voyager SKYHAMMER Review

Default DotM Voyager SKYHAMMER Review

DotM Voyager Autobot
    SKYHAMMER

Official Bio:
    "Back on Cybertron, Skyhammer was a highly decorated Autobot Aerial Assault Commander. He was tasked with personally advising Optimus Prime in countless skirmishes with the Decepticons. Skyhammer is surprisingly nimble given his size and weapon payload. He is an expert with projectile weapons, but also excels in hand-to-hand combat. He carries an Energon Blade bestowed on him by Optimus Prime as recognition of extraordinary courage and heroism in battle."

TechSpecs:
    Strength: 7
    Intelligence: 9
    Speed: 9
    Endurance: 6
    Courage: 10
    Fireblast: 7
    Skill: 8

Robot Mode:

The very first thing you notice is the most obvious: The propeller blades forming as part of the chest/torso. I think this is the first time where it isn't kibble or a weapon. It's a design choice that is well executed and the result is eye-catching. Head sculpt is nice although no light-piping. The shoulders are obviously the alt-mode cockpit which might irk some people, especially the vents that is sticking out on top. The next thing you notice is the Ultra Magnus like colours. White and blue-grey. The paint apps are good choices with gold, metal blue, and silver highlighting just enough to break the colours apart, especially the piping on the propellers on his chest. Although, I'm not sure if this colour scheme fits the movie aesthetics and reminds me more of the Cybertron figures.

The proportions on this figure is quite startling. The arms stand out as being a little large, with matching giant hands as well. The forearms are equipped with 2 Cannons each, offsetting the largeness a little, but it's almost gorilla-like. Otherwise, the legs are chunky enough, the waist not too thin and the bulk of the shoulders help neutralize the big chest.

Articulation is as expected and was a little disappointed that after wave 1's double jointed elbows and knees, Skyhammer does not have it.The arms rotate on the shoulder by 360 degrees, 90 outwards, 360 on the biceps and 90 on the elbow.The legs can rotate 360 but blocked off by the other parts, 100 outwards, and 90 backwards and another 90 forwards. The latter two can't be considered a 180 degree as it is more articulated for the conversion. The toes and heel can fold 90 each too for cool aerial poses.

Articulation side on:

Articulation front on:

Overall this is an excellent robot mode that appeals to proportion whore's like me and I adore the large arms, so that's a plus. The back of the robot is quite nice too, with lots of vents and holes rather than kibble like panels and such. There are no weight issues and can pull off some nice poses without toppling over. Am just not sure this fits the movie aesthetics. 8/10

CONVERSION:

Transforming Skyhammer isn't as difficult as wave 1 Voyagers and there are no real surprises here. There are some issues with aligning pegs and flaps but holds quite steady and solid when done. The vents on top of the cockpit just kinda sits there and the pegs for the forearms to attach too aren't the best. The chest is meant to twist counterclockwise by 90 degrees but it was so tight. Perhaps it was my figure but I was afraid I was going to break something. I checked the instructions but there's no latch or releases that was pointed out and I just applied an immense amount of pressure and nothing broke, no stress marks, but it's very uncomfortable knowing how tight it is. [EDIT]: Thanks to Paulbot for pointing out that the propellers are meant to be pulled out. It isn't in the instructions and if it's meant to be an auto-morph feature, then this certainly failed. I tried and tried to pull the propellers out initially but just couldn't. When I read Paulbot's comments I gave it another try and it popped out. Perhaps loosened by my initial force-twisting.

The calves doesn't really peg on properly and can be tricky due to it pushing out a recessed part out on the shins. But with some pressure ont he right places this stays on and does not affect balance. Converting back to robot mode is a lot more easier and natural and should prove to be easy to remember. 7/10

ALT MODE: ATTACK CHOPPER

The alt mode is well realized and quite stunning to be honest. With no visible robot kibble and even the underside showing minimal kibble. There are retractable static landing wheels and also removable missile racks that you can also peg on the forearms or side of the chopper. The little details with the sculpt and paint highlights make for a complete finished look in this mode. The insignia is visible and the cockpit stands out. My only real complaint and is quite disappointing actually, is the propeller is pretty much flush on the chopper. It can spin but you can't let it spin freely. It catches on to the chopper roof. Unless it's due to the chest conversion problem I have, but if it is Hasbro certainly failed to make it clear on the instructions. Otherwise this is an excellent looking alt mode, if you don't mind not having spinning propellers. [EDIT]: Thanks to Paulbot the Propellers actually does pop out. It might require a little force but it pops out by about 1cm. In which case, I have to up the score for the alt-mode by a point as you can now have whirling, free-spinning blades. So, the score is now...8/10

MECHTECH WEAPON:

The Mechtech weapon is what you would expect with the blaster converting to a blade and doubling the size of the weapon. It's more of a snap attack than a blade weapon really as there's no way to lock it into blade mode. The weapon can be attached on either forearm and hands in botmode and can be attached under the cockpit, wings or the side of the alt-mode. The spring isn't the strongest and the blade sags a little when placed under the cockpit. Once again though, I think these Mechtech weapons are oversized. 6/10

OVERALL:

I really dig both modes and conversion should please puzzleformers (intricate & fiddly) and playformers (quick and easy). It has some niggles but it's strong points outshine them. Certainly a good pickup during sales and will make for good repaint fodder for Hasbro. I personally really like this for it's awesome proportions, the clever use of the propellers in robot mode and it's complete and finished look and feel. Be aware that this uses some of the more malleable plastic. As jaydisc mentioned before, it's probably a cost saving choice and/or protection from excessive force. 8/10

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

MODS: Feel free to change the title of the thread, format of the header of the review or insert a poll if needed to fit in with the other reviews.

EDIT: Added Bio and TechSpecs. Corrected spelling and grammar and also added a few new details concerning the Propellers marked accordingly.
    Last edited by Stompy; 26th May 2011 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks for the review Stompy!

I remember seeing a review on Youtube (by peaugh I think) and knew that this guy was a must buy straight away.

He looks really good. I like what they've done with the proppelor in robot mode. Does he appear in the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by LordCyrusOmega View Post
    Does he appear in the movie?
    Definitely.

(not based on fact, just my opinion based upon Michael Bay's love for helicopters )

Thanks Stompy - you're a legend. (Or... should that now be 'you're a legion'? Or 'commander'? Or 'cyberverse'? I still haven't worked out these new size classes.)

You do the best reviews Stompy, I'll wait and see if a redeco tickles my fancy.

I'd like to see a recolour as the unused (as a Transformer toy) Diaclone Triple changer:

http://www.toyarchive.com/Diaclone/Triplechanger.html

Need to paint the face, he is the one part of the toy I can't stand.

First DotM toy I picked up. He is great, love his backpack and silhouette, very reminiscent of the TFA characters.

Cannot wait for this! Mine's in the mail and I'm counting down the days. Very excited.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection