Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Digital Photography Equipment Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime View Post
    Lol... when I get into something, I tend to go slightly overboard - still not done yet with the lenses though.

Have decided to move away from zoom lenses and focus (no pun intended) on prime lenses - next on the shopping list is a 22mm prime (which will give me the approximate equivalent of 35mm).

I also intend on upgrading to a full frame body later on (5D Mark II's successor, whenever that comes out) so I want to be able to re-use the same lenses (EF-S zoom lenses don't fit).

Working one job already blows! But whatever it takes to make the dollars so you can live (or buy stuff that you don't necessarily need).
    I'm hoping to invest in a full frame body also, the nikon d700 or any newer model that comes about between now and then. I'll continue working on the lens collection then.

I'm saving up to go to Comic Con next year so it will all be worth it.

Thanks for the tip with using the slower film speed - quite happy with the results at ISO200 with the pics I took.

Thanks for the tip with using the slower film speed - quite happy with the results at ISO200 with the pics I took.
    Awesome! I knew you'd like the results. I've had ISO on the brain because I taught my class all about ISO and noise last week. I'm glad I could help.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Great thread!!

Have decided to move away from zoom lenses and focus (no pun intended) on prime lenses - next on the shopping list is a 22mm prime (which will give me the approximate equivalent of 35mm).
    Nothing beats a fast lens, but don't give up on zoom lenses! They're really terrific, but I would recommend getting ones with constant apertures. The down side is they're more expensive, but the quality is much better and you have quick access to several different focal lengths.

I also intend on upgrading to a full frame body later on (5D Mark II's successor, whenever that comes out) so I want to be able to re-use the same lenses (EF-S zoom lenses don't fit).
    I, too, am eager to see what they're going to do with the Mk III! I'm specifically keen to see what "improvements" they do in the HD video department.

Just like you've suggested, future proofing is the aim of the game. I always recommend buying lenses that will fit on full frame cameras rather than cropped. If you ever upgrade, you'll be able to use the lenses. Let's face it; cameras change, but lenses should last forever. It's not unusual to spend 2 or 3 times on lenses as to what you spent on the body itself. But the lenses are interchangeable and will last a lifetime (provided you take care of them).

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    When you start mentioning ISO and the f-stops that is where you lose me. I have read up on them but I don't fully understand them. I usually just put the ISO on Auto and let the camera do the rest.
    Jena and Vector Prime have given some great advice here already, so I won't be too redundant Understanding ISO, Aperture value, & Shutter speed is crucial for getting correct exposure. But the trouble is, when you adjust one, it can affect the others significantly. Or, in contrast, it can directly affect the "style" of picture you're trying to take (eg, depth of field; which is something that's been mentioned already).

I would highly recommend keeping your ISO value as low as possible for the highest quality pics, but sometimes it's just too dark and you need to increase the value. This is where good, fast lenses come in handy. Primes are great!! Anything that has a low f-stop number (eg, 1.8 or 1.4, so on). A good tripod is another option, and will help if you intend on having slow shutter speeds, as will IS (Image Stabilizer) Lenses; but they cost more!!

Good lights, or an external flash, can help too. I would recommend practising in Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority Modes. Manual Mode is great when you know how to get correct exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Robzy View Post
    Great thread!!
    Nothing beats a fast lens, but don't give up on zoom lenses! They're really terrific, but I would recommend getting ones with constant apertures. The down side is they're more expensive, but the quality is much better and you have quick access to several different focal lengths.
    Oh I haven't given up completely on zoom lenses - the Canon L lenses are awesome - maybe somewhere down the track when I buy a full frame, I might look into them.

But the justification to buy a singular piece of glass that's more expensive than the camera itself is kinda hard to accept at the moment (naturally when I go to a 5D Mk II or III or whatever, then it becomes all relative )

I, too, am eager to see what they're going to do with the Mk III! I'm specifically keen to see what "improvements" they do in the HD video department.
    The video dept doesn't interest me in the slightest, I'm only keen since the current Mk II has been out for awhile and the thought of shelling out big dollars for something that will be superseded rather quickly is not that appealing.

I figure it will be at least a year before the itch to go to full frame gets me, so by then, the Mk III should be out (and hopefully is so awe inspiring that it will justify the hefty price tag, otherwise I could just go Mk II on 'clearance' )

Just like you've suggested, future proofing is the aim of the game. I always recommend buying lenses that will fit on full frame cameras rather than cropped. If you ever upgrade, you'll be able to use the lenses. Let's face it; cameras change, but lenses should last forever. It's not unusual to spend 2 or 3 times on lenses as to what you spent on the body itself. But the lenses are interchangeable and will last a lifetime (provided you take care of them).
    Very true there mate - the two Canon EF lenses I have (the 'nifty fifty' and the 28mm) date back to the late 80's in design and have somehow still stood the test of the time as being reliable and excellent performers despite lacking the modern fancy stuff such as IS and USM (it also helps that they are now a lot more affordable given the age of their designs )

I wasn't aware that the EF-S stuff didn't fit on full frames until a week ago when a friend of mine that uses a 5D mentioned it to me after I purchased the Tamron Macro (which was designed specifically for APS-C sensors).

It has kinda made me rethink my lens choices for any future purchases and the need to 'future-proof' myself as you succinctly put it.

I would highly recommend keeping your ISO value as low as possible for the highest quality pics, but sometimes it's just too dark and you need to increase the value. This is where good, fast lenses come in handy. Primes are great!! Anything that has a low f-stop number (eg, 1.8 or 1.4, so on). A good tripod is another option, and will help if you intend on having slow shutter speeds, as will IS (Image Stabilizer) Lenses; but they cost more!!
    Until the earlier discussion with jena re: ISO, I thought 800-1600 was a good speed, but having experimented with 200 this evening, I'm very happy with the results (colour saturation).

Goes to show that I'm still a very green newbie with only a few months experience learning new stuff as I go along.

bowspearer Guest

Just discovered the thread.

My girlfriend is the photographer out of the 2 of us and has 2 rigs currently: a Nikkon D90 with a 50mm Macro lens and a 80mm-400mm lens, as well as a Sony NEX-VG10 camcorder with a 18mm-200mm lens. The later of these is going to be used primarily for video work, but still works amazingly well as a DSLR stills camera.

Jena and Vector Prime have given some great advice here already, so I won't be too redundant Understanding ISO, Aperture value, & Shutter speed is crucial for getting correct exposure. But the trouble is, when you adjust one, it can affect the others significantly. Or, in contrast, it can directly affect the "style" of picture you're trying to take (eg, depth of field; which is something that's been mentioned already).

Good lights, or an external flash, can help too. I would recommend practising in Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority Modes. Manual Mode is great when you know how to get correct exposure.
    Ok, so I should be keeping my ISO number low. What about Shutter priority and Aperature? Those things are still so alien to me even after reading up on it.

I use a light box that I picked up off ebay which came with the lights. It was about $40 so nothing flash. What does everyone else use?

Ok, so I should be keeping my ISO number low. What about Shutter priority and Aperature? Those things are still so alien to me even after reading up on it.

I use a light box that I picked up off ebay which came with the lights. It was about $40 so nothing flash. What does everyone else use?
    Yep, keep the ISO low.

As for shutter and aperture priority, have a read here - I don't think it could be explained any simpler.

In terms of light box/tent, I don't use one when I take my pics (nor do I own one or have any intention of buying one).

Another setting to add to the mix is white balance. This will be why some of your photos look orange/warm. It is most likely set to auto. Not sure on the Nikon as I am a Canon user, but you should be able to change the white balance to tungsten or a light bulb symbol. You will want to change it back to auto when your new white lights arrive though.

I just had a play with my uncle's Rebel T2i, identical to the 550D. Nice and chunky, it's pretty solid. I think I'm sold. Hopefully I'll pick one up Friday.
    I asked him about the settings and he say's he just leaves it on auto