Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia > Info and Activities > Board Info, Member Intros & Suggestion Box

Sightings/Sales

Old 17th June 2008, 12:27 PM
Rank 10 - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
Would it help if you offered voluntary sponsorship from members? Back in ye Olde days before the Internet when I was logging onto local dial-up BBSes, I was a member of one Sydney based BBS (Active BBS) where members were given the option of making donations to the board to keep it running. Donors were given special privileges such as unlimited log-on hours (although that's irrelevant now w/ the internet) and access to certain sigs (Special Interest Groups) that non-paying members didn't have.

Perhaps donors here could have the privilege of having customised "ranks." So instead of just "Member" we could customise it to "Dark Overlord" or "Monorator" or something - anything we like (within reason - of course mods can still change them if they're offensive or something).

How does that sound?

I'd happily donate $20 a year to this board for that privilege.
Great idea!

I'd happily donate too either through bank transfer or PayPal, but don't really need any privilege. This hosting thing seems to be not cheap.
Old 17th June 2008, 01:23 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

The privilege thing isn't utterly essential - like you I'd happily make a donation regardless. I just reckon it'd be a neat little token incentive/reward for those of us who are willing to help pay for the upkeep of this board.

Transformers collection: 1816
Old 17th June 2008, 01:34 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
Would it help if you offered voluntary sponsorship from members? Back in ye Olde days before the Internet when I was logging onto local dial-up BBSes, I was a member of one Sydney based BBS (Active BBS) where members were given the option of making donations to the board to keep it running. Donors were given special privileges such as unlimited log-on hours (although that's irrelevant now w/ the internet) and access to certain sigs (Special Interest Groups) that non-paying members didn't have.

Perhaps donors here could have the privilege of having customised "ranks." So instead of just "Member" we could customise it to "Dark Lord of the Dance" or "Supreme Monorator" or something - anything we like (within reason - of course mods can still change them if they're offensive or something).

We could have real ranks (Administrator, Moderator) in red and/or italics to distinguish them from these "faux" donor ranks so that new members can keep track of which members are actually part of the board staff.

How does that sound?

I'd donate maybe $15 a year to this board for that privilege.
I would be happy to contribute too. I also don't expect anything in return, I would be satisfied just by knowing that I am helping out the community in some way.
Old 17th June 2008, 02:24 PM
Rank 10 - Admin

The idea has merit, and the incentive is good. It will be something I was going to look into after I settle the hosting situation and get full access back to all of the members and guests.
I was also thinking of a user-based system, maybe with something like google ads at the bottom of the board pages. But was going to have a poll before doing something like that, because I would still like to see no or limited advertising here. I just hate those fan forums that are crowded by advertising.

Ozformers on Twitter (join for Australian Transformers News, First Toy Sightings, and Store Sales)
My BotCon archive (so far includes full coverage of last 7 BotCons)
How to use Amazon America (for cheaper toys)

My collection (updated soon) - - Toys I want - - Recent arrivals - - Random stuff from me
Old 17th June 2008, 02:31 PM
Rank 10 - Admin

BTW, have scrapped the hosting option at the place I signed up to yesterday. With the help of Jaydisc, connection to this board should not be affected now, but email me if you do have any problems.
I'm liking the fasthit.net host at this stage, but if anyone else has any recommended (preferably Brisbane based) server hosts, post here and I will have a look tonight. It needs to have a monthly plan, so that I only lose a month's fee if it doesn't work out. It also needs to have MySQL v4.1 or v5, with no limit to the database. Bandwidth and server space would be something I would look at myself, depending on what different plans they have. I can't think if there is any other basic requirements needed at this time in addition to those. I just prefer a server host that has a local phone number, so it doesn't cost too much getting tech help (I'm not that tech-headed).
I wasn't able to sign up to fasthit today, as I was tied up with making sure you guys can still access this board, without yesterday's server host taking affect.
So for at least the next few days, this board is staying right here, and your access to it shouldn't be any different than the last couple of weeks, courtesy of some redirecting by Jaydisc and myself.

Ozformers on Twitter (join for Australian Transformers News, First Toy Sightings, and Store Sales)
My BotCon archive (so far includes full coverage of last 7 BotCons)
How to use Amazon America (for cheaper toys)

My collection (updated soon) - - Toys I want - - Recent arrivals - - Random stuff from me
Old 17th June 2008, 02:46 PM
Rank 10 - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
I just hate those fan forums that are crowded by advertising.
I'd be happy to donate more if we can do without the ads.
Old 17th June 2008, 02:49 PM
Rank 1 - New/Inactive

I'd be more than willing to chip in if need be.
Old 17th June 2008, 03:10 PM
Rank 1 - New/Inactive

*opens wallet* How much you need?
Old 17th June 2008, 04:01 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I'd be happy to pay a yearly fee too, especially if it keeps the plethora of ads off the site.

Hunting For: G1/2 Dinobots, Triggercons, G2 Sideswipe, BT Zoom-Zoom, Alt Sunstreaker.
Any DBZ figures, collectibles.
Old 17th June 2008, 04:51 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
I'd happily donate too either through bank transfer or PayPal, but don't really need any privilege. This hosting thing seems to be not cheap.
+1!
The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection