Thread: Extremely Rare/Prototype G1 Giftsets

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Default Extremely Rare/Prototype G1 Giftsets

In my googling of Diaclone/Microman, I stumbled across some Extremely Rare/Prototype G1 Giftsets & I was wondering if any of you guys could shed any more light on them

Firstly, There's this VSX Giftset:

What I'd kill to get my hands on one of them...

& these two that never saw the light of day:

(sorry, that's the best pic I could find)

Superion v Menasor would have been one massive box while Soundwave w/ Frenzy v Grimlock (I think?) seems like an unusual 2-pack (Well, to me it does )

I know there are a couple of people on this board who know quite a lot about these kinds of extremely elusive/prototype giftsets & well - it's always good to educate yourself on these components of TF history

Oh, & I thought I might share with you Zoidstar's collection of extremely rare figures (check all 3 pages)

Thanks in advance

The box on the top is the Goodbye Convoy Vs Megatron set, but I don't think the actual Convoy toy in the tray is actually Goodbye Convoy - it appears to be just a regular Convoy/Optimus Prime toy to me!

afaik Goodbye Convoy has blue windows, not brown like on the standard version.

Goodbye Convoy was reissued in 2001 as New Year Special Convoy (with eyes painted blue) and Goodbye Megatron was reissued as the e-Hobby exclusive Megaplex (but with sniper accessories re-added, so yeah, he has a fusion cannon - also, all Megatron reissues come with Goodbye Megatron's sword). I have both reissues so feel free to come over and have a look at them if you want.

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Thanks Mate . I'll definitely check those out some time (as well as that comic which features Guiltor).

Researching various Gift Sets from back in the day (eg. TF Source's collection), I wonder just how well they sold?

I'm guessing for 1980's prices, a box set with that many toys would have been kinda expensive...

Wow, what a collection that guy has.... Voltes V, 2 Voltron versions, diaclones wow. Oh darn, spotted the japanese Monstructor, sigh, keep remembering my stupidity of not grabbing those back then, they were selling them in Phils cheap and individually packaged... prolly coz the store (and me as well at that time) isn't aware that those are really Transformers. They were in the same aisle but along with the other robots that transformed... not included in portion for TFs... I thought they were cheap KOs at the time aaargh ( bumps head at wall)
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Another thing about VSX Megatron: His body is not chromed.
    Last edited by Kyle; 26th July 2008 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Avoid confusion.

The insides of his arms and legs are also blue instead of red.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse
    I'm guessing for 1980's prices, a box set with that many toys would have been kinda expensive...
    My guesstimate is 3980JPY and I have no idea what the conversion from yen to dollar would've been in 1986. :/

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The insides of his arms and legs are also blue instead of red.
    They replicated the blue for the Henkei Hobby WST VSX set.

That VSZ giftset (Sunstreaker, Skids, Buzzsaw) is supposed to be F*** *** rare. Of course, it's not especially remarkable in itself, aside from the fact that it was the only release of Buzzsaw in Japan until Soundblaster got reissued a few years back.

BTW, that's Dinoking, liege. Just as rare, if underwhelming. Better than Monstructor, mind you - no gold plastic!

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

according to this websitehttp://www.soundwavesoblivion.com/ja...nonelista.html

The grimlock/soundwave/frenzy giftset was released in 1985 and the megatron/ prime giftset did'nt come with the trailer or roller