Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Designer Alexander Kubalsky toy sketches

Default Designer Alexander Kubalsky toy sketches

Toy designer Alexander Kubalsky has released onto his facebook page some toy design drawings that he did while he was working at TakaraTomy.

Some of the images have been mirrored here.

Alexander no longer works at TakaraTomy, but he is actually an Australian, and a list of toys he had a hand in can be seen here.

An Australian working on Transformers toy designs... it's a pity he never joined up here to tease us with his creative genius or just have a chat with fellow Australian Transformers fans.
    Last edited by griffin; 27th January 2014 at 04:23 AM.

He sold his Lucky Draw Convoy on eBay recently, along with a few other goodies. He also has the greatest eBay username.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161172358315?redirect=mobile

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I believe his surname is Kubalsky.
    How'd I manage to do that typo twice...

Well, misspelling a person's name would be a good reason to not join here...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    He sold his Lucky Draw Convoy on eBay recently, along with a few other goodies. He also has the greatest eBay username.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161172358315?redirect=mobile

Wow... he auctioned off some test-shots and design drawings too, and one sold for about $530!
    Now THOSE are toy design drawings, drawing every little part for construction... not character artwork that most of the Hasbro "designers" draw of the two modes for the TakaraTomy designers to engineer into a convertible toy.
    It amazes and impresses me how well these toy designers can visualise these things in 3D on their 2D drawings, and all the parts needed to make it possible.

I'm surprised he was allowed to keep or sell those things, as the designs and prototypes would be the property of Hasbro & TakaraTomy.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Wow... he auctioned off some test-shots and design drawings too, and one sold for about $530!
    Now THOSE are toy design drawings, drawing every little part for construction... not character artwork that most of the Hasbro "designers" draw of the two modes for the TakaraTomy designers to engineer into a convertible toy.
    My thoughts exactly. Those "designers" are merely "concept artists" at best.

The reason he could sell all these is possibly they were personal gifts/farewell souvenirs when he left Takara

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Those "designers" are merely "concept artists" at best.
    Perhaps, but one only needs to look at Emiliano Santalucia's work (For example) to see that often there is very little difference between his "concepts" and the end figure - Clearly his designs are very "Toy Friendly" in that regard, as well as being just brilliant pieces of art.

That said, these cross-sections and such are equally as amazing!
    (The benefits of being directly employed as opposed to being contracted eh? )

The reason he could sell all these is possibly they were personal gifts/farewell souvenirs when he left Takara
    Do we know that he departed the company amicably though?

This guys work is awesome. To bad I had no idea he existed before today let alone made some of my toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Perhaps, but one only needs to look at Emiliano Santalucia's work (For example) to see that often there is very little difference between his "concepts" and the end figure - Clearly his designs are very "Toy Friendly" in that regard, as well as being just brilliant pieces of art.
    Yeah, that's why I said "some" Hasbro designers - as we saw during Animated that a lot were drawn and conceptualised (by Derrick Wyatt and Eric Siebenaler) to facilitate the creation of the toys. But those concept drawings are still by no means in the same league as these engineering designs.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    But those concept drawings are still by no means in the same league as these engineering designs.
    Yeah, I'll concede that.

It would certainly seem from Hasbro's end, that they (now?) contract out conceptual work, whereas TakTom seeming prefer to keep it in-house; Is there any evidence available that would perhaps give credence to that theory? - or at the very least maybe shed some light?