Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Collectors Australia > Beyond the Spacebridge (Non-Transformers Section) > Non-toy stuff

Sightings/Sales

Old 20th January 2009, 12:41 PM
Rank 1 - New/Inactive

I started reading Thunderbolts from #110, where Ellis' run began, I'm with you STL Thunderbolts is definitely a top read. Caged Angels is a stellar arc (#116 - #121).

Sadly though the same couldn't be said with the Secret Invasion tie ins (#122 - #125). Mediocre at best.

Luckily it's picked up with the current run with Diggle (#125 onwards). I'm especially looking forward to the new Thunderbolts team and the upcoming crossover with Deadpool.

Also want to mention that Thunderbolts has the best cover art (minus the Secret Invasion ones).
Old 20th January 2009, 12:45 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Funny thing about Thunderbolts is it seems now that "Dark Avengers" have stolen their original gimmick!
Old 20th January 2009, 09:38 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
Funny thing about Thunderbolts is it seems now that "Dark Avengers" have stolen their original gimmick!
And Bendis will get the credit for it again which is what annoys me.

In other reading, got through Fraction's Iron Man #7 which while was the okay was way too predictable and Spidey seemed to try way too hard to be funny.
The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection
Old 20th January 2009, 11:11 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I finished The Watchmen the other day, easily the best comic/graphic novel I've read. I haven't read a great deal so it's probably not saying much, but you get what I mean. The story telling was excellent, at no point was I ever bored, and there was plenty of twists etc to keep you interested. The art was superb, at no point was I struggling to work out what was going on, everything was clear. It was more like a good novel than a comic, Alan Moore knows how to write a good story

Looking forward to the movie, which going by the trailer that I just saw, looks pretty much shot for shot the same as the comic, which should be a good thing. Hopefully it can stay pretty close to the source material.

North Melbourne-bot...?
Old 21st January 2009, 12:21 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksplatt11 View Post
I finished The Watchmen the other day, easily the best comic/graphic novel I've read. I haven't read a great deal so it's probably not saying much, but you get what I mean. The story telling was excellent, at no point was I ever bored, and there was plenty of twists etc to keep you interested. The art was superb, at no point was I struggling to work out what was going on, everything was clear. It was more like a good novel than a comic, Alan Moore knows how to write a good story

Looking forward to the movie, which going by the trailer that I just saw, looks pretty much shot for shot the same as the comic, which should be a good thing. Hopefully it can stay pretty close to the source material.
U shld probably explain it to me next time. I've never quite gotten into Alan Moore. I think his Supreme was awesome and I loved that but it was dense. Watchmen was even more so and his Promethea was rock hard and I never got into that. I gave up after the second trade (and I bought all 5 at the same time!)

Old 21st January 2009, 08:04 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I just read Spotlight Ultra Magnus , how can i explain it lack a good story and didn't have flow, but i did read the new avengers and transformers and like the character contrast between the autobots and superheroes, e.g Prowl attitude was similar to that of Wolverine.
Old 24th January 2009, 11:44 AM
Rank 1 - New/Inactive

Just a note. If you picked up Dark Avengers #1 and Mighty Avengers #21 this week, do read Dark Avengers first. Might Avengers spoils the big reveal at the end of Dark Avengers.
Old 24th January 2009, 04:20 PM
Rank 8 - Multi-Section Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratescratch View Post
Just a note. If you picked up Dark Avengers #1 and Mighty Avengers #21 this week, do read Dark Avengers first. Might Avengers spoils the big reveal at the end of Dark Avengers.
I don't think it really matters one way or another. Regardless of which title you read first, the 'reveal' isn't exactly revelatory. Actually, it would be more interesting to read Mighty Avengers #21 first. It would require fairly low reading comprehension skills for someone to be reading Dark Avengers #1 and be surprised by anything at the end of it.
Old 3rd February 2009, 10:41 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

The Top 25 Comic Rivalries.

Again, not necessarily that I agree but its a thoroughly fun read.

Old 6th February 2009, 12:59 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I just finished reading Spiderman: Blue. Really enjoyed it, I liked how in only 6 books, Loeb and Sale managed to fit in so much, without it feeling too busy or rushed. I mean, the amount of enemies Spiderman fights and also what happened in Peter Parker's personal life would take up more than 6 books you would think, but they managed to fit it all in perfectly. Great art too, similar in parts to The Long Halloween (obviously) but a little less refined I feel, which suits the less serious side of Spiderman, compared to the more dark and serious Batman. Really enjoy the Loeb and Sale partnership, I've only read 2 of their pieces of work, but I would pretty safely say I would enjoy anything they have put out. I saw Daredevil: Yellow at the library so while I'm not a huge fan of Daredevil, I'll give it a go given their track record.

Currently reading Superman: Red Son, and then am going to read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vols 1 and 2

North Melbourne-bot...?